View Full Version : Just got my P800 - should I feel this guilty ?

Shaun Stuart
03-12-2003, 08:32 PM
I have been a Pocket PC user since my first HP545 almost 3 years ago. I liked the platform so much that I bought an SPV Smartphone in November to replace my T68. (I know the PPC/Smartphone platforms are different but they are very similar in design). I have actually owned 3 pocket PCs in the last 3 years (HP545, Ipaq 3630. Ipaq 3870) and an SPV.

The thing is, Ive been using the P800 for the last 5 days and my ipaq and SPV havent got a look in. Its not that I no longer require the functions of a Pocket PC or a smartphone its just at the moment the P800 seems to fulfill all my needs. I am not saying its better than.. but I get email access on the move, I can sync with my PCs both at home and at work, I can listen to music, watch a video, make calls and play games all with one device. The only problem is I feel incredibly guilty about leaving my Pocket PC.

Is this the feeling Palm users get and why so many of them never move on to an alternative system ? Do we get attached to our gadgets ?

How attached are you to your device and why is that - do you feel any loyalty to the OS, or to the Hardware or am I just really sad ? :oops:

Janak Parekh
03-12-2003, 08:38 PM
The only problem is I feel incredibly guilty about leaving my Pocket PC.
Nah, you shouldn't. As long as the device you have meets your needs, go with it. I don't use a Pocket PC because I feel compelled to "buy Microsoft", it's because I have specific requirements that the Pocket PC fulfills best -- that is, I want a handheld computer, and the Pocket PC is best at it. I've been watching the P800, and it's a no-go for me due to Memory Stick Duo, the lack of Ogg support, etc.

But it sounds like it works for you. Congrats on your purchase. :)

--janak

Jason Dunn
03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Ultimately, you need to get whatever device suits your needs the best. Don't feel guilty, be glad you found a good device for your needs.

mv
03-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I´m considering the p800... but are there any eBooks readers for it? does it have good PIM functions? is easy to use?

Thanks in advance!

Shaun Stuart
03-12-2003, 11:32 PM
Mobipocket works on the P800 the pim features are similar to the standard Pocket PC PIM and yes its very easy to use

Shaun Stuart
03-12-2003, 11:44 PM
Ultimately, you need to get whatever device suits your needs the best. Don't feel guilty, be glad you found a good device for your needs.

To be honest I meant the question to be more of a general observation - I no I shouldnt feel guilty about it but I do a little - maybe its because I feel part of the pocket pc community. I visit this site at least twice a day and talk to other users regularly about new pocket pc software and devices - changing to a symbian PDA/Phone seems like moving away. I cant help but relate this to when the Pocket PC was first introduced a lot of Palm users wouldnt even try them because they were either anti Micorsoft or felt so attached to their devices and maybe the community around the OS.

I was just wondering now that the Pocket PC has become more established how many Pocket PC users would find it difficult to move to an alternative OS