View Full Version : Netfront or Thunderhawk

ott13979
03-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Anyone use either of these products?... if so can you give me your likes or dislikes

Geekzone review of the products... (I want your take)
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=505

kfluet
03-13-2003, 01:55 AM
Thunderhawk and NetFront have different purposes in my opinion.

If I did a lot of browsing over cellular phone networks, I would use Thunderhawk. Thunderhawk does a really stellar job of rendering pages to like like the original. Fonts are almost always readable, etc. And it's FAST. But it costs a monthly fee, doesn't allow SIP input (fitaly, wordlogic, transcriber, etc.), and you have to use their crummy keyboard. AFAIK, there is no Java or Flash support for Thunderhawk.

NetFront is a great browser if you have a fast net connection (Bluetooth or WiFi to a local LAN), or if you need to run complex web apps. NetFront supports a pile of standards like HTML 4.01, XHTML, DHTML, JavaScript, DOM, CSS and SSL. It does a much better job than Pocket IE of rendering pages for the small screen and you can turn off wrapping and change font sizes easily when the page won't fit. You can get a version with Java support (for applets). It has built-in offline reading capabilities (no need to synch with your desktop). My only real complaints about NetFront are that it's interface is a bit clumsy (menu organization and window management could be greatly improved) and it doesn't work the the Pocket IE Flash plugin (which is likely not their fault).