View Full Version : Roaming From WiFi to CDMA

Ed Hansberry
03-12-2003, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,922584,00.asp">http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,922584,00.asp</a><br /><br />"IpUnplugged will demonstrate technology that allows roaming between CDMA2000 networks and WLANs. The company will also announce a deal with 3Com Corp. subsidiary CommWorks, which will sell ipUnplugged's Roaming Gateway, Roaming Client and Roaming Server software to carriers along with its network equipment"<br /><br />This technology would be very handy for people that must stay connected. Emergency workers could leave their buildings and continue to receive important information as they got into their vehicles on the way a fire or other event. Of course, not dropping that all important IM session is key to you and me. :)

ricksfiona
03-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Sounds like it could get very expensive - call wise. You would use up your minutes on your calling plan very quickly. Certainly not intended for the general public.

Ed Hansberry
03-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Sounds like it could get very expensive - call wise. You would use up your minutes on your calling plan very quickly. Certainly not intended for the general public.
I think it depends on the plan. Some CDMA plans have a one price for all you can eat bandwidth.

Still, you need a piece of corporate software for this. I don't think too many people will be installing this on their home WLAN any time soon.

scrinch
03-12-2003, 06:01 PM
My $10 unlimited "vision" plan on Sprint lets me keep my IM session intact as I leave my home or office and head out to the streets. I don't need a WLAN for that. Is the real advantage of this WLAN-WAN roaming idea that it provides faster access at home, or that it can seamlessly "extend" someone's home or office network out into the streets?

Janak Parekh
03-12-2003, 06:04 PM
My $10 unlimited "vision" plan on Sprint lets me keep my IM session intact as I leave my home or office and head out to the streets. I don't need a WLAN for that. Is the real advantage of this WLAN-WAN roaming idea that it provides faster access at home, or that it can seamlessly "extend" someone's home or office network out into the streets?
It's both, I would venture to guess. I'd love to be able to be doing online activities on my PDA whether I'm in my WiFi zones or not. Mobile IP will help make this more and more seamless, i.e., going through multiple WiFi zones seamlessly.

--janak