View Full Version : HELP-- How to get apps from SD card into Programs???

toshm
03-12-2003, 08:00 AM
This seems to me to be a very simple request but I have many many many apps installed on an SD card and I want them to all show up in Programs. I just switched iPaqs so the apps installed on the SD card were not originally installed on this device. This is why they do not appear in Programs when I pu the card into the slot.

So my simple question is, short of having to manually create a shortcut of each app into the \Windows\Programs folder; is there any program that can search the SD card for .exe files and create shortcuts automatically into Programs??? or something like that.

This seemed so simple on my Palm.

stitics
03-12-2003, 08:35 AM
So my simple question is, ...short of having to manually create a shortcut of each app into the \Windows\Programs folder; is there any program that can search the SD card for .exe files and create shortcuts automatically into Programs???

I have never understood this type of question...and I mean no offense by this...but, short of just wanting to know so that you know the better way of doing things for the future, why would you post a question like this rather than just creating the shortcuts manually? It seems like by the time you got a response, your problems would be solved. Of course, there is nothing wrong with wanting to know for the future, but then you should say that in the post so people like me aren't confused. :D

Steven Cedrone
03-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Well...

If the apps on the SD card are simple .exe's (you just downloaded them and added them to the SD card - without the aid of an installer program), you can just make a shortcut to them. If you went through an installer (that modifies the registry) to install them on your old Ipaqs' SD card, those programs will not work and will have to be reinstalled...

HTH,

Steve

Paragon
03-12-2003, 04:31 PM
toshm

You may find the easiest, most effective way to do this is to reinstall the apps. It's not as time consuming or problematic as you may think. Just stick it in the cradle open Activesync/tools/add remove, aand run down the list checking apps that are on the card, and witin a few short minutes you are done. This method will also put your registry in order. As well some applications place files elsewhere in order to function properly.

Dave

toshm
03-12-2003, 09:46 PM
So my simple question is, ...short of having to manually create a shortcut of each app into the \Windows\Programs folder; is there any program that can search the SD card for .exe files and create shortcuts automatically into Programs???

I have never understood this type of question...and I mean no offense by this...but, short of just wanting to know so that you know the better way of doing things for the future, why would you post a question like this rather than just creating the shortcuts manually? It seems like by the time you got a response, your problems would be solved. Of course, there is nothing wrong with wanting to know for the future, but then you should say that in the post so people like me aren't confused. :D

When you have over 75 .exe files on your SD card and to manually create shortcuts for each one in the Programs folder, yea it does take time. More than it took me to write this post. Then once the shortcuts are created they all say "shortcut to..." which I then have to go and edit all 75 filenames. I am just venting on this issue as I would think there would have been a similiar way to do it.

I purchased Pocket Launcher from Conduits Technologies thinking it would be a lot like some of the application launcher that are available for the Palm. Now if only the app would just be able to detect the .exe files and allow me to add then to a tab I would be in heaven!!!

WindWalker
03-12-2003, 10:26 PM
not trying to be critical, but how many of those apps still work anyway? I would find out how many actually still launch without having made any registry entries or loading of files into the main memory before you worry about shortcuts. You may end up reinstalling many of them anyway...

stitics
03-13-2003, 04:13 AM
Then once the shortcuts are created they all say "shortcut to..." which I then have to go and edit all 75 filenames.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. That alone is worth the post. :D

toshm
03-13-2003, 07:09 PM
not trying to be critical, but how many of those apps still work anyway? I would find out how many actually still launch without having made any registry entries or loading of files into the main memory before you worry about shortcuts. You may end up reinstalling many of them anyway...

You bring up a very valid point that I didn't think about. I forget that compaired to the Palm OS, Pocket PC's do function much like a computer since Microsoft did create the OS based on Windows.

Suprisingly enough only about 20 of the 75 apps on my SD card had troubles running. Most did require a dll that wasn't installed. So, I guess I do need to reinstall each time I decide to switch to a new PDA.

I currently have two iPaqs that I use off and on. I switch between the two and so being able to just pull out the SD card and put it into the other I thought was that simple. I guess not. :(