View Full Version : Strange problems in some forum threads...

Mark R Penn
03-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Very strange - page seven was not showing up, even though PJE's post was on it, until I added this one?

Moderators? Site admin? Magicians? Any ideas?

Pony99CA
03-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Very strange - page seven was not showing up, even though PJE's post was on it, until I added this one?

Moderators? Site admin? Magicians? Any ideas?
I thought I had that happen in a thread I followed, too, but not this thread. It happened Saturday, I think. I went to page 3 of a thread, saw that it was mostly new posts, so I went back to page 2, and they were all posts that I hadn't seen.

I thought that maybe I just skipped the page somehow, but maybe there was a glitch.

Steve

Mark R Penn
03-10-2003, 05:45 PM
There is deffinately something wrong here - whenever a thread goes to a new page with just one post on it, that page number is not listed. So, I look at the forunm index, and it says this thread has eight pages, with the last post by Janak. But when I click on page eight to look at Janaks post, it's not there. When I submit this, which I bet you will be the second post on page 9, page 9 will show in the index!

Also, something that's happened ever since I first looked at PPCT - the software forum (this forum), ALLWAYS shows that new posts exist (orange envelope), even if they don't - the envelope never goes white!

PJE
03-10-2003, 05:52 PM
There is deffinately something wrong here - whenever a thread goes to a new page with just one post on it, that page number is not listed. So, I look at the forunm index, and it says this thread has eight pages, with the last post by Janak. But when I click on page eight to look at Janaks post, it's not there. When I submit this, which I bet you will be the second post on page 9, page 9 will show in the index!

Also, something that's happened ever since I first looked at PPCT - the software forum (this forum), ALLWAYS shows that new posts exist (orange envelope), even if they don't - the envelope never goes white!

... and I thought it was only happening to me ;-)

PJE

Janak Parekh
03-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Weird. I'll run some tests later today and see if I can simulate it.

--janak

Mark R Penn
03-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Cheers Janak (just trying to get to a new page so you can test!)

Mark

Video11
03-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Happened to me too, yesterday at the top of page 7. Thought it was just me. :roll:

Cheers.

Edit....oops...not page 7, page 8.

ctmagnus
03-11-2003, 07:28 AM
Just to make it an even three...

Cheers!

:)

Mark R Penn
03-11-2003, 10:39 AM
It's happened again!!!!! Says nine pages, gorkon is last poster, but I can only see the post from ctmagnus!!!!!!

OK, here goes - this is about to become post 2 on page 10................

Mark R Penn
03-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Oooer, no that didn't work did it! What's happened to gorkons post then?

EDIT - my fault - I was looking at the wrong line in the index

Sorry! :oops:

PJE
03-11-2003, 02:07 PM
Doesn't it show 10 threads per page...

... If so this one shouldn't turn up until someone posts again!

Let's see.

PJE

PJE
03-11-2003, 02:08 PM
....and if I could only count :wink:

This should be a new page.

PJE

Duncan
03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
It is - but at the bottom it says page 10 of 9!!! 8O

BTW - are you guys bored or something??!

PJE
03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Hi All,

My second post (which was the eleventh post on the page) was displayed to me on page 10 but is MIA.

I assume when I post this there will be two posts by me on the top of page 10....

PJE

PJE
03-11-2003, 02:12 PM

It's do this...

...or work! :wink:

PJE

Pony99CA
03-11-2003, 04:12 PM

It's do this...

...or work! :wink:

I'd suggest that if we want to isolate a bug, we create a test thread in the Off-Topic area. Let's not usurp the Pocket Informant thread any longer. :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 04:26 PM
It is - but at the bottom it says page 10 of 9!!! 8O
OK, thanks Duncan - that explains it - the post count on this thread is corrupt. I'll have to ask our phpBB gods (err, developers) to fix it.

FYI, it shouldn't happen on other threads -- if it does, PM me.

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-14-2003, 06:42 AM
Guys, just an update -- this should be mostly cleaned up at this point. PM me if you encounter any more thread weirdnesses.

It was being caused by hung post submits, where the post would generate but the thread count wouldn't update. We had to run a mass update of all the thread counts.

--janak