View Full Version : Screen Protectors

CharlesC
03-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Hello again,

Do screen protectors do anything to improve the apearance of an already scratched screen?

Also, using one's pocketpc in a New Mexico dust storm is a really bad idea.

Thanks,
Charles

guinness
03-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Maybe a little, I have the WriteRight screen protector currently on my Axim, made for the Toshiba 310/740, but it fits almost exactly. Problem is that these screen protectors really do suck, I have quite a few bubbles underneath it, should've gotten the Writesheilds from PPCTechs, but I needed something now, so at least I wouldn't scratch my screen anymore that it is.

Kati Compton
03-11-2003, 07:20 PM
I doubt it. However, I have heard that using the WriteShields guys' *cleaning methods* can reduce the appearance of scratches. Not sure if that's true though.

But a screen protector would just be laying over scratches, not filling them in or anything. So they'd still be visible. You wouldn't *feel* them when using the stylus, though.

Ziad.T
03-11-2003, 07:55 PM
I don't think either... scratchs will still be visible... and I don't think that cleaning the screen with this WriteRight think will arrange anything, I doubt you can clean scratches ;)

Kati Compton
03-11-2003, 09:41 PM
No, but you can clean dirt out of them, which might be making them more apparent. Or polish the screen slightly so if the scratches are really faint they may go away.

PetiteFlower
03-12-2003, 01:11 AM
I have a really tiny light scratch right in the friggin center of my screen :puppydogeyes: It's hardly visible when the screen is on, slightly moreso when it's on. I expect when I can finally get my Writeshields, they will make it so the scratch can not be seen, since they will be changing the texture of the screen. The only reason I can see it now is because of the reflectiveness of the screen, I can only see it if the light hits it right.

If there's a more major scratch though, of course no screen protector is going to get rid of it :)

dlangton
03-12-2003, 07:48 AM
The good screen protectors don't hide the scratches at all, in my experience. However, if you get some WriteRights, you'll have so many bubbles, you'll hardly notice the scratches. :mrgreen:

mv
03-12-2003, 11:05 PM
You should try "hard" Screen protectores, like nuShield. At least they will improve your writing, and they have no problem with bubbles.

targetdrone
03-13-2003, 05:39 AM
I bought a pack 10 laminating sheets 9x12 at Wal-Mart for 4 bucks and cut them to size for my Axim and Casio E-100. I can get 16 out of 1 sheet. It took a couple for practice to get them on without bubbles, but at 2 and half cents each, who cares. The don't leave residue when you pull them off, and still last as long as the couple of other protectors that I've used.

As for covering an already scratched screen, I can't tell you. I've never used by PDA's without screen protectors to scratch them up.

MPSmith
03-13-2003, 06:13 AM
Some screen protectors will partially mask a scratch, but not very well. Of course, that's not what they're intended to do.

I used son-of-a-gun on my J720 HPC to mask some scratches, and that worked ok. (Your results may vary( :wink:

Kw@nSTer
03-17-2003, 04:47 PM
have you tried the Brandos? they are quite good! : )