View Full Version : Serious question on Best Buy extended warranty (PSP)

rberry88
03-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Let me get this straight:

If you bought your PDA at Best Buy and also purchased the PSP (Performance Service Plan) along with it, you can simply upgrade (pay the difference I assume) and get a newer 'model'??

The reason I ask is this: I purchased an HP5455 at CompUSA about 3 weeks ago, however, I bought a Sony Clie NX70V at Best Buy with the PSP about 6 months ago. I have grown detached from my Clie since I got my PPC but I would love to "upgrade" it to a different model that my wife would like. But a few questions come to mind before approaching Best Buy on this:

1) Does there have to be something visually (either physically or internally) wrong with my current unit for them to allow this?

2) Does it matter the cost of the new unit (i.e. my Clie cost $599 and I was looking at getting the 1910 for my wife), if they want to do a straight trade I wouldn't mind.

3) If the above is possible, do I need to return my current unit (Clie) in the original box with all parts (cables, cradles etc), which I have, or do I just bring in the unit?

4) Do I have to make prior arrangements with Best Buy (i.e. customer service on the phone) or can I just walk into the store and wait in the Customer Service line??

Any help is appreciated and I'd be glad to get rid of any Palm connection finally.

rberry88 :?

blazingwolf
03-10-2003, 11:54 PM
The product has to be defective before they will allow you to do the trade in. you will need to take it over to the service tech desk and they will decide if a replacement is warrented. If so, from my experience, they will tell you to go get another unit. I think it can be one of the cheaper units but I am not sure if they will give any money back.
They do expect you to bring in all manuals and cables that origianlly came with the product(assuming you have them of course).
No need to call just walk in.

pjerry220
03-11-2003, 02:02 AM
CompUSA has had a standing policy for replacing PDA. Just bring the device back with or without stylus no questions asked as long as you had their replacement warranty and a receipt. I have replaced at least 10 defective ones for my organization. The Customer Service desk just took my word on it. They didn't test the device. Matched the serial number with the receipt and gave me a new device.

I always replaced for the latest model of that manufacturer. Best Buy should do the same.

aleib
03-11-2003, 02:19 AM
I took in an HP Jornada 548 back in December which had a 3 year PSP on it which expires next year. The Jornada was not defective at all however I wanted to get a newer PDA with more capabilities. I purchased the Jornda for $399. I did a hard reset before I took it in, told them the battery was not keeping a charge and my data was erasing daily. The tech looked at it quickly, and then told me to go pick out another unit. I chose a unit that had a $100 rebate, so in the end I got a brand new Toshiba, and a $100 rebate which I just got a few weeks ago, my new Toshiba is still covered for another year as well, so I plan on doing this again next year.

gadfly
03-11-2003, 07:04 AM
I am VERY familiar with Best Buy PSP policy for PDA/Cell Phones even though it changes quite a bit. Let me answer your questions in order.

1) Does there have to be something visually (either physically or internally) wrong with my current unit for them to allow this?
If there is something visually wrong with the unit (i.e. broken screen, smashed buttons, etc.) BB may decide the unit is NOT covered under PSP because of Customer Abuse. The choice is up to them and it clearly states so in the PSP Brochure. Things like the stylus not staying in or LEDs that are out should be covered under Normal Wear and Tear.

2) Does it matter the cost of the new unit.
Policy is that you are entitled to a new PDA with the at least the same specs even if the cost has gone down since you bought the unit. If there is not a comparable model then BB may decide to i) replace the unit with a different one that is equal to or less than what you originally paid ii) allow you to pay the additional cost over what you originally paid and give you a better model iii) give you store credit (need MGR approval) for the value of what you originally paid (less the cost of the service plan). The thing to remember is that they reserve the right to do whatever they want in accordance with the policy and decisions vary from store to store.

3) ... do I need to return my current unit (Clie) in the original box with all parts (cables, cradles etc), which I have, or do I just bring in the unit?
It is always better to have all the parts and the box because some stores are picky on this issue but it's not required. Some stores may charge you for missing parts. It is always better to bring those items for any exchange at BB.

4) Do I have to make prior arrangements with Best Buy (i.e. customer service on the phone) or can I just walk into the store and wait in the Customer Service line??
This is the best and most important advice I'm going to give you. Customer Service (and thus PSP exchanges) is handled by the Operations Department but the determination as to whether or not a unit is defective is handled by the Tech Department. What will happen if you stand in line is that when you get to Customer Service the rep will call a tech over to check the unit for a defect. If the unit is truly defective (e.i. no power when charged or with AC, no audio after hard reset, etc.) and is also not Customer Abuse then the tech will give the go a head for a replacement. Techs are under a lot of pressure to make good decisions about replacement (BB is losing tons of money on customer scams) but generally want to help people if they actually have an defect and treat them respectfully. Also, PSP exchanges are generally seen as a pain-in-the-ass by the techs who would rather be helping people fix their computers. One thing I have observed is that yelling at the customer service people or tech seldom gets customers what they want. If a manager becomes involved they may or may not help the customer and sometimes the situation can even get worse. Managers almost always take the advice of the techs.

My suggestion to you: If the unit actually has a defect first take it over to the tech department and if they are not busy and in a very friendly manner ask for help in just figuring the issue out. You might even try smiling. These are the people that really do love technology and hopefully they will act as a liaison and get the exchange done for you. At the very least if they tell you you need to stand in line you will have already established an actual defect in their mind and will have better luck in getting the exchange done when it is your turn.

Hope I have been of some help,
Shane

rberry88
03-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Wow, Thanks for the lengthy response. I'm not trying to 'scam' anyone, I just thought that since I wouldn't be using the item any longer if there was a way to use the PSP to my advantage and get something I would use. I don't care if I paid $599 for my current Sony Clie and the one I want in exchange is only $329, doesn't matter. I've always liked shopping at Best Buy and have never had any sort of trouble with any service with them, I just didn't want to walk into a hornets nest if I was going about this the wrong way.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll have to watch the battery consumption on my Clie over the next couple of weeks to see if it is draining properly or not.

rberry88

luebster
03-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Shane, you have spoken like a true BB employee! I used to work at BB and the biggest problem we had was employees telling customers, "If anything goes wrong, just bring it back and we'll give you a new one." 8O You'd have people microwaving their PocketPCs just to get a new model.
:microwave:

Anyway, Shane is dead on with his breakdown of how PSPs work. Be nice to the tech dept and they will be nice to you.

Reinaldo
03-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Policy is that you are entitled to a new PDA with the at least the same specs even if the cost has gone down since you bought the unit. If there is not a comparable model then BB may decide to i) replace the unit with a different one that is equal to or less than what you originally paid ii) allow you to pay the additional cost over what you originally paid and give you a better model iii) give you store credit (need MGR approval) for the value of what you originally paid (less the cost of the service plan). The thing to remember is that they reserve the right to do whatever they want in accordance with the policy and decisions vary from store to store.

They never did that with me. I traded a 568 for an e740 because the charger they gave me was broken and it was alas! the last one. Then, I traded the e740 because the battery just had too many problems and they were manufacturer faults. (clue: be very vague when explaining faults :lol: )

I took in an HP Jornada 548 back in December which had a 3 year PSP on it which expires next year. The Jornada was not defective at all however I wanted to get a newer PDA with more capabilities. I purchased the Jornda for $399. I did a hard reset before I took it in, told them the battery was not keeping a charge and my data was erasing daily. The tech looked at it quickly, and then told me to go pick out another unit. I chose a unit that had a $100 rebate, so in the end I got a brand new Toshiba, and a $100 rebate which I just got a few weeks ago, my new Toshiba is still covered for another year as well, so I plan on doing this again next year.

I am not alone! :lol: I also plan on doing that but the trade will be a 5450. Some Best Buy tech people are really retarded. :lol:

gadfly
03-12-2003, 12:53 AM
I'll have to watch the battery consumption on my Clie over the next couple of weeks to see if it is draining properly or not.
Who knows... it could always go bad in that time! :D
Shane, you have spoken like a true BB employee!
Actually, I don't work for Best Buy. I did in the past but I got sick of people thinking I was retarded. :wink: