View Full Version : Whoa! And exporting from Palm

Gallivant
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Holy **** - Dell shipped today the Axim I ordered late last night. Very very nice.

I'm trying to get my contacts out of Palm Desktop and over to Outlook, however, and running into problems. Outlook complains about comma and tab formatted files, and doesn't know what a .aba is. Any suggestions that don't involve paying money?

Steven Cedrone
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Did your Palm come with PocketMirror? (http://www.chapura.com/pm_standard.php) If so, just sync your Palm to Outlook, then sync your Pocket PC...

Steve

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Depending on which model Palm you have, it may contain software to sync to Outlook within it. First, sync your Palm with all your info then uninstall/reinstall HotSync, choosing "Sync to Outlook" when prompted. Finally, sync your Palm, which transfers all your old data to Outlook. :)

UPDATE: Zactly what I said, Steve, but ya beat me to it! 8)

Gallivant
03-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Firstly, I have no PocketMirror - this is an ancient IIIxe. Second... erm...

It's sort of dead.

I wasn't planning on getting the Axim until this summer, but the Palm decided to stop turning on, hastening the purchasing process. So all I have is Palm Desktop, with no working unit.

taxus
03-11-2003, 06:41 AM
The Palm IIIxe did come with PocketMirror. But it was an optional install, and if you didn't use Outlook to synchronize your data, then it would not have been installed. When I bought my PocketPC last summer, I had to uninstall Palm Desktop and re-install the hotsync software and choose Outlook synchronization with PocketMirror (had to get an update from the maker of PocketMirror), then synchronize my Palm IIIxe so Outlook could import the data.

The Palm Desktop archive formats are proprietary and I don't know of any software that can import that data.

Can Palm Desktop at least export the contacts in text/csv (comma separated values) format? I'm not sure. I don't think so. I'll check at work tomorrow (still use the Palm at work).

Re-installing the hotsync software with Outlook synchronization with PocketMirror, then hotsyncing the Palm, is the simplest solution. But if the unit is dead, I don't think there are many options.

taxus
03-13-2003, 02:03 AM
Haven't had time to look into it, but I just saw that post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9987&highlight=) from vincenzosi. Using Yahoo Intellisync could be the best solution for you, and doesn't require a working Palm.