View Full Version : Woe is my Computer...Woe is Me

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 08:29 PM
I must have done something to anger the Unforgiving Computer Gods. I wanted to have the Shuttle SS51G's fan stop spinning when I put the computer into suspend mode, so their tech support suggested I update to the newest BIOS. I did, and now I can't boot XP any longer. :evil: I called their tech support and was told "Fix XP! You just need to fix XP! Go to Microsoft.com and search for "fix XP" then do it!". I expressed my frustration that I had a perfectly fine copy of XP working an hour early, and that their BIOS update was the problem, and I was told that I should just accept "the truth" and "fix XP". 8O I swore a string of curses after I hung up the phone - I've never encountered tech support so rude and unhelpful before! I should have just bought a freakin' Dell...damn that wee Shuttle! So I'm likely going to spend the majority of my day fighting with this instead of doing anything productive.<!><br /><br />For those that care, I've tried:<br /><br />a) Flashing back to the previous BIOS (1.35)<br />b) Re-flashing the newest BIOS (1.38)<br />c) Powering off and back on again after the Flash<br />d) Setting BIOS defaults back to "safe mode"<br />e) Flicking almost every BIOS switch available<br /><br />When I boot in safe mode, the system is hanging on \system32\drivers\Mup.sys. Google and Microsoft.com provided very little in the way of help on exactly what Mup.sys is and what it does. Any ideas?<br /><br />I haven't tried the Windows XP "repair a current install" option because I want to try to salvage this install before I try mucking with the repair tools - they're pretty horrific and not very easy to use.<br /><br />Any ideas? FDISK standing by... :roll:

klinux
03-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Bummer, Jason. I don't have the SS51G but have the SV24. IMHO, Sudhian has the most comprehensive resources on Shuttle XPCs. Try a search here: Sudhian forum (http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43)

wreck
03-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Article:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3CA906E1.E70D2DE5%40att.net&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3DMup.sys

Fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

Alot of stuff about mups:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Mup.sys&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N

LarDude
03-10-2003, 08:42 PM
http://www.earthv.com/tips_detail.asp?TipID=63

Steven Cedrone
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Look at this thread... (http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/53037.html)

Windows XP hangs when loading the mup.sys driver - or! perhaps when loading the ACPI driver which comes after mup.sys.

Steve

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 08:48 PM

I disabled the on-board USB 2.0 ports (indeed, the whole controller) and it didn't help. Thanks anyway though.

Peter Foot
03-10-2003, 08:52 PM

I disabled the on-board USB 2.0 ports (indeed, the whole controller) and it didn't help. Thanks anyway though.

Boot from the XP CD and repair the current installation, usually works for me and leaves your settings intact...

jet8810
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Jason, do you have a fairly recent backup?

klinux
03-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Try the BIOS version 2.0? It is located here: ftp://ftp.spacewalker.com/BIOS/fs51/V2.x

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Can I ask: How is it that, without a computer, you are able to post, search the web, etc. Are you currently Pocket PC-dependant? Is your Pocket PC all that is keeping you from insanity? :lol:

Ben
03-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Today is a misbehaving PC day! When I booted up my main destop today I got the BIOS and then 'Primary Master Hard Disk Failed' flashed up on the screen 8O 8O 8O

Luckly a reboot seemed to fix the problem but I've just noticed that my second hard disk is no longer showing so looks like I need a new second (backup) hard disk!

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Well, in reading through the various suggestions posted (thanks guys!) I've come to the conclusion that this is the dreaded registry corruption problem - it's an absolute pain in the ass to fix, and I think it may be faster for me to simply reinstall. Auuugh.... :really mad: :really mad: :really mad:

DAMN YOU SHUTTLE!!!

I'm in the midst of trying an XP repair option, so we'll see how that goes. Because this install was so new, I don't really have a backup. If I have to start from scratch, I can use the TrueImage snapshot I took of the system a few days ago. It's better than starting from scratch, but I'll lose a lot of the work I've done in the past few days....

It's TOO EASY for the registry in XP to get hosed...

klinux
03-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Real geeks always have more than one computer and always temper with a computer that works fine (but not *perfectly*). I though everyone knew that? :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Can I ask: How is it that, without a computer, you are able to post, search the web, etc. Are you currently Pocket PC-dependant? Is your Pocket PC all that is keeping you from insanity? :lol:

I have this device called a "laptop". :lol:

I can do Web stuff, but my email & data is all on the Shuttle. :cry:

Ed Hansberry
03-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Ta da!!!!!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2374

Rok
03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
I can do Web stuff, but my email & data is all on the Shuttle. :cry:
Well, if you wish to salvage the data from the past days (and you don't have a backup), you can install another copy of XP (boot from CD and install the second copy in a different folder). Then simply take ownership of your previous-username Doc & Set folder, create backup, and make a clean install. It should take about an hour and a half (I've done this myself).

Regards,
Rok

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Real geeks always have more than one computer and always temper with a computer that works fine (but not *perfectly*). I though everyone knew that? :lol:

But where do real geeks store there data? I have four other working machines in my house right now, so I can sort of function, but my primary data is on the Shuttle, hence my problems. I have a backup of all my data on another machine, but though it's set to backup nightly, my Outlook.pst file is a day older than it should be. CURSES...!!!

Wes Salmon
03-10-2003, 09:22 PM
But where do real geeks store there data? I have four other working machines in my house right now, so I can sort of function, but my primary data is on the Shuttle, hence my problems.

USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drive man! I bought one recently for pretty darn cheap (80GB for $199 I believe) and it really helps me sleep at night knowing that if XP goes belly up on one machine, I can just plug in somewhere else and keep going.

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 09:24 PM
But where do real geeks store there data? I have four other working machines in my house right now, so I can sort of function, but my primary data is on the Shuttle, hence my problems.

USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drive man! I bought one recently for pretty darn cheap (80GB for $199 I believe) and it really helps me sleep at night knowing that if XP goes belly up on one machine, I can just plug in somewhere else and keep going.

True, true - but it's the config time! The tweakin' time! I can access my data right now on the server, but then when I get the Shuttle working I get into versioning issues with the data....bleh.... 8O I'm not QUITE ready to give up on this pile of crap... :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Ok, I did the XP repair procedure, and it was downright freaky! 8O It asked me for "The CD named Messenger", forced a reinstall of 9 Series WMP, and now when it boots up I get a brief error window stating something about insufficient virutial memory, then it reboots by itself. And it's not a BSOD - it's a nice Windows error box.

Booting in safe mode results in the same error message...which is downright odd.

Hmm - I may try that command-line recovery procedure now. It can't get much worse! :lol:

MooseMaster
03-10-2003, 10:00 PM
It sounds to me like the Shuttle tech support was right on to begin with, asking you to search for a tech doc on Microsoft.com that a user posted a link to here in this thread for you, which you of course do LAST. I'll wager that it would have fixed your problem perfectly the first time and would have taken much less time than all this fiddling you performed to no avail.

bljarv
03-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Hmm - I may try that command-line recovery procedure now. It can't get much worse! :lol:

Hang in there...one day this will all be just a painful memory! Try to keep the positive emoticons flowing! :D :wink: :)

jeff
03-10-2003, 10:03 PM
Too bad I didn't see this thread until now. It's usually possible to fix a 2000/XP boot problem with the recovery console. Boot to the console prompt from the CD and run fixmbr, fixboot, then chkdsk /R (or /P, I forget, it's the one that checks and repairs the whole drive). Usually that will get a unbootable install up and running. Now that you've done a fix, you've kind of gone beyond that point.

ploeg
03-10-2003, 10:04 PM
I called their tech support and was told "Fix XP! You just need to fix XP! Go to Microsoft.com and search for "fix XP" then do it!". I expressed my frustration that I had a perfectly fine copy of XP working an hour early, and that their BIOS update was the problem, and I was told that I should just accept "the truth" and "fix XP".

Jason, I was a doubter too, a long time ago. My computer would fry files at random, reducing hours of hard work to smouldering ashes. The text on my web pages would blink incessantly. A widening gap formed between my front teeth. My dog done died. My girl did me wrong. My truck got a flat.

Then, I remembered the ancient wisdom of that sage tech support person who advised me to "fix XP." In despiration, I went to the Microsoft website and searched for the page that would allow me to "fix XP." Minutes, then hours passed as I combed through the search results until, at last, I found the true method. I followed the twelve steps found therein, and all my troubles were solved. My computer fixed itself. The gap between my front teeth closed up. I got a new job that pays in the low seven figures (if you include the cents places).

So accept the truth, Jason. Seek "fix XP" on the Microsoft website, and be certain to have "the CD named Messenger" at the ready. Do not be afraid.

Cortex
03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
perhaps XP uses the bios settings as part of its authentication to prevent installing on multiple machines....

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
It sounds to me like the Shuttle tech support was right on to begin with, asking you to search for a tech doc on Microsoft.com that a user posted a link to here in this thread for you, which you of course do LAST. I'll wager that it would have fixed your problem perfectly the first time and would have taken much less time than all this fiddling you performed to no avail.

Puuuulease! :roll: I'm all for "self help", but the root problem is that their BIOS buggered up my system - they took ZERO responsibility for that, and they should have. They didn't even apologize to me!

As for the "fix XP" comment, the tech support should have pointed me to the document, or given me some sort of clue as to what I should look for - he was completely vague. "Fix XP" isn't what I'd call a good technical search term. If he had said "It sounds like Windows XP has a corrupted registry - here's the URL to a KB article to fix it" I would have reacted very, very differently.

And if their BIOS updates can cause this, don't you think they should have an established procedure for fixing it? :?

Underwater Mike
03-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Wow -- I've been saving my pennies to buy an SN41G2. But if their support is that bad, maybe I should go with something else?

cmchavez
03-10-2003, 10:22 PM
As for the "fix XP" comment, the tech support should have pointed me to the document, or given me some sort of clue as to what I should look for - he was completely vague. "Fix XP" isn't what I'd call a good technical search term. If he had said "It sounds like Windows XP has a corrupted registry - here's the URL to a KB article to fix it" I would have reacted very, very differently.

:?

Sure you didn't Customer Service for their Sales office by accident? :?

Reinaldo
03-10-2003, 10:29 PM
I must have done something to anger the Unforgiving Computer Gods. I wanted to have the Shuttle SS51G's fan stop spinning when I put the computer into suspend mode, so their tech support suggested I update to the newest BIOS. I did, and now I can't boot XP any longer.

I have never touched a BIOS since 7, count them, failed upgrading attempts (2 lethal ones). Just call me unlucky. The one thing that I do remenber for the 5 non lethal BIOS attacks was that, after the initial moment of shock and uttering of 4 lettered words, an instinct sort of kicked in. I have used a lot of methods to fix the BIOS attacks but after I finish, they sort of vanish and I am left with a felling of "what did I do?" right after I fix it. do remenber some of the stuff I did but not as clearly.

The point is that the Unforgiving Computer Gods have a comandment:
Thou shalth never upgrade your BIOS unless thou are in deep poodoo.

Consider yourself lucky that they even told you to "fix XP". Most tech support people are willing to pint fingers at anyone before their companies :evil: . 2 BIOS attacks mentioned above involved calling Tech Support. After I told them my problem, they left me in this maze of clasical waiting music which drove me mad :evil: . After 30 minutes, I hanged up and risked fixing it on my own. You are right in the fact that it was their BIOS that triggered the XP failure but if they didn't give you enough information to fix it, there's no point in arguing with them. Just look it up the internet or on a forum of your manufacturer.

Hang in there...one day this will all be just a painful memory! Try to keep the positive emoticons flowing!

I agree. I know that I would act just like you are acting now had this happened to me because it has but remenber its only a machine. Relax, otherwise you might mess up on the process.

Good luck. :)

crispeto
03-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Uh oh, I was just getting ready to upgrade my Abit board. Now I'm scared!

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Wow -- I've been saving my pennies to buy an SN41G2. But if their support is that bad, maybe I should go with something else?

After this experience, I'd have to say that I probably wouldn't buy another Shuttle. Even if the root problem is XP, their BIOS update is what triggered the collapse - they share some of the blame.

I've had quite a few problems with mine - the front Firewire port doesn't work with any sort of non-powered device, and it's supposed to. Up until the past month, none of my tech support emails were ever answered.

Unless you're very comfortable with a vendor that doesn't provide any support, don't buy a Shuttle. I should have bought a freakin' Dell. :roll: :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 10:43 PM

:?

Sure you didn't Customer Service for their Sales office by accident? :?

Uh, can you re-state that in English? :wink:

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 10:51 PM
YE GODS ABOVE! I'M CURSED!

After the XP repair failed, and after the XP command-line registry restore failed (well, it sort of worked, but my restore point was corrupted), I opted to use the Acronis TrueImage backup I had from a couple of days ago...and now I'm getting "poor media quality" errors on the restore. I just used this to restore my machine on Sunday....noooo..... 8O I should have backed it up to the network...@(#*@)(#*@

I guess I shouldn't have criticized Microsoft so much on Sunday.... :lol:

Underwater Mike
03-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Well, I still want to build my own and was looking for a smaller package than a mid-tower. I thought the dual-integrated VGA with the nForce board was nice, and the small package seemed good, too. Maybe I should just go with a regular nForce board and a mid-tower case? They're cheaper...

ARRRRGH! Decisions... :2gunfire:

After this experience, I'd have to say that I probably wouldn't buy another Shuttle. Even if the root problem is XP, their BIOS update is what triggered the collapse - they share some of the blame.

I've had quite a few problems with mine - the front Firewire port doesn't work with any sort of non-powered device, and it's supposed to. Up until the past month, none of my tech support emails were ever answered.

Unless you're very comfortable with a vendor that doesn't provide any support, don't buy a Shuttle. I should have bought a freakin' Dell. :roll: :lol:

Chris Spera
03-10-2003, 10:57 PM
I'd try calling them back and demanding to talk to their Customer Service Manager/ Director or VP of Operations.

I'd point them to this thread, tell them the number of posts it has, and tell them about all of the wonderfully negative publicity they are getting, and then watch them scramble to resolve the issue.

If they don't, see if you can't return the MB. If that's not possible, I would auction it off and by the Dell you're talking about.

In this day and age, things are too advanced for something like this to happen with any credible vendor. If this vendor is willing to take the bad press that its GOING to get because of this issue happening to you, an MS MVP with obvious connections, then they deserve what happens to them.

But, uh, that's just my opinion.

Oh, and as far as what I would do to resolve the issue itself, I'm not completely certain that FDISK is going to get it done. This really sounds like a BIOS compatibility issue. Nuking the disk may leave you exactly where you are: Screwed out in the middle of the ocean with "the perfect wave" coming at your "castaway" type raft that is your computer.

Christopher Spera

pocketpcdude1024
03-10-2003, 10:58 PM

I refer you to an article called "Dealing with Data Loss (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9461)" 8)

Cortex
03-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Guys if you thought the Shuttle was SWEET.....

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

FIC: ICE-Cube (http://www.fic.com.tw/product/sff/mini/ice-cube.aspx)

There is a review (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/c0304/08c04/08c04.asp&guid=anx1u0ua) of this in March's CPU Magazine. (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/newTOC.asp?guid=anx1u0ua&etid=9&vol=3&iss=4)

Apparenetly it is only $220 8O and they are to come out with a version with a built in Radeon.

Underwater Mike
03-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Their systems are based on the Chang Fun cases. Personally, I prefer the case on the IB-VG61: http://www.fic.com.tw/product/sff/mini/ice-brick.aspx. I thought about building something in that, but a review I read http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/enote/ said that the case actually is 14mm too short to fit a standard PCI card...

Other than that, I gotta say that I like the Shuttle nForce-based system better. I'm not much on case windows. Lights, etc., are great, but who wants to look in at a jumble of stuff inside?

Guys if you thought the Shuttle was SWEET.....

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

FIC: ICE-Cube (http://http://www.fic.com.tw/product/sff/mini/ice-cube.aspx)

There is a review of this in March's CPU Magazine. (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/newTOC.asp?guid=anx1u0ua&etid=9&vol=3&iss=4)

Apparenetly it is only $220 8O and they are to come out with a version with a built in Radeon.

Cortex
03-10-2003, 11:57 PM
the case actually is 14mm too short to fit a standard PCI card...

it seems that the review is of the Ice-Brick and not the Ice-Cube

felixdd
03-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Jason. Whatever you do -- don't be like this guy:
man arrested for executing laptop (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/29617.html)
It proves that even Dells can get on people's nerves.

Best of luck with the repairs!

klinux
03-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Good luck with the repairs, too. Jason. You have not tried the 2.0 version of the BIOS have you?

On a separate note, the Icebox looks terrible compared to the Soldam series:

Check out the full aluminum version http://www.soldam.com/barebone/fav/ and their special edition series http://www.soldam.com/barebone/pandora_figaro/sp/.

Underwater Mike
03-11-2003, 12:49 AM
klinux, that does look great. With the exception of the case, though, it's the same innards as Jason has, right?

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 01:13 AM

I refer you to an article called "Dealing with Data Loss (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9461)" 8)

Well, I haven't lost any data - the the time I've spent configuring and tweaking my machine. Bah! 8O

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Well, I still want to build my own and was looking for a smaller package than a mid-tower. I thought the dual-integrated VGA with the nForce board was nice, and the small package seemed good, too. Maybe I should just go with a regular nForce board and a mid-tower case? They're cheaper...ARRRRGH! Decisions... :2gunfire:

The Shuttle is a fairly unique product, but the real question is how much of a pain-free existence you want to have. :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Good luck with the repairs, too. Jason. You have not tried the 2.0 version of the BIOS have you?

I haven't. Is it beta, or what? That's a big jump from 1.38 to 2.0.... 8O Are you using it?

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 01:23 AM
:lol: :lol: That's it, I'm losing my mind! They're going to come take me a way to a rubber room... :lol: :lol:

I had a two day old backup using Acronis TrueImage, so I thought "Hey, I'll go back to that". It's a complete partition-level restore, so I was confident it would work. I struggled though over an hour of "the media may be bad" error messages and it FINALLY worked. I rebooted, only to find that the same error is happening again.

What this means is that the corruption occurs ON THE FIRST BOOT....and that a reformat and re-install is needed.

Amazing! Simply amazing!

Janak Parekh
03-11-2003, 02:26 AM
....and that a reformat and re-install is needed.
Haven't you got good at this by now? :lol:

At this point, I can do a full reinstall of my computer within a day -- this includes programs and customizations. And I have a lot of stuff.

--janak

ShivShanks
03-11-2003, 02:45 AM
:lol: :lol: That's it, I'm losing my mind! They're going to come take me a way to a rubber room... :lol: :lol:

I had a two day old backup using Acronis TrueImage, so I thought "Hey, I'll go back to that". It's a complete partition-level restore, so I was confident it would work. I struggled though over an hour of "the media may be bad" error messages and it FINALLY worked. I rebooted, only to find that the same error is happening again.

What this means is that the corruption occurs ON THE FIRST BOOT....and that a reformat and re-install is needed.

Amazing! Simply amazing!

If you are having so many problems with a repeated install then I think you may have a hardware problem. And it could have been triggered by the new BIOS or something. Does doing a fresh clean install of XP on it work? If not then you might have a hradware problem, in which case you'll need lots more patience and troubleshooting to isolate it. Sorry I can't be more help than that. BTW the WindowsXP repair method in this way works fine -
Try to install a fresh copy of XP onto an existing one by giving the same Windows path when it asks for one. It will detect that one already exists and do you want to repair it? Say yes. It will look like its reinstalling XP but its only reinstalling the OS etc. It will leave you apps/data fine. You'll only need to apply all the OS patches again. This method has worked for me a couple of times. Also if you know someone who does XP install Admin for corporates or OEMs then try to get the WinPE CD and boot from that to check stuff or retrieve data easily.

jeffmd
03-11-2003, 02:55 AM
Jason, does the Xp offer any repair options if you boot from the cd like Win2k does?

Anyways... this is what happens sometimes when you update you bios, and its usualy NOT the manufacturers fault. When windows software install a driver, it does so useing specifications provided by the bios, and goes through the bios to access the hardware. changing the bios often changes the settings the old drivers are used to. I find it normal that win2k sometimes reinstalls drivers for criticle stuff like bridges, pci, cpu, ports, and AGP after a bios update. Now obviously the drivers were able to boot up useing the old configurations in my case, but I can see how a single driver not likeing this can screw an entire installation. one time I installed the wrong drivers for a secondary ide controller (trying to get a raid controller to see a cdrom) and it crashed windows hard on bootup. Whats worse is these drivers are loaded in safe mode too. Later on I found out I might have been able to fix it by useing the console mode repair option on the install cd (the HD was NTFS so normal floppy boots wouldnt work) and deleting the offending driver, but at that time I had to reinstall all of windows.

Mr. PPC
03-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Sorry about your problems Jason. I just got a Shuttle SB51G two weeks ago and installed SBS 2000 onto it, runs like a charm. I even purchased (because of discussions I read here) True Image and it imaged my SBS 2000 system perfectly (W2kServer, Exchange 2000, ISA, IIS v5.0 and SQL 2000) over a network.

I had only one issue with my Shuttle, was during my intiall setup of the Shuttle. It would recognise my hard drive, but would error during the POST screen and I would have to press F1 to continue, it would then boot OK. I went into the BIOS and told it to load the default settings (not the optimal settings, there is another) and haven't had an issue since then.

I did then go through the BIOS to make sure some key things were correct; had to change the Memory to AUTO (defaulted to DDR266 - have DDR333), turn NUMLOCK on, make sure BIOS AntiVirus stuff was off and change boot order.

I typically don't upgade my BIOS unless I have to, for fear of it not flashing correctly and getting left with a dead board (been there done that).

st63z
03-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Look at this thread... (http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/53037.html)

"I'm having the same problem. My only luck is that it boots correctly on every 20th try or so. (I'm a bit stubborn sometimes..)"

This is the answer. Jason just needs the determination to hang in there. Push reset, wait, push reset, wait, push reset...

Incidentally, what's the cheapest consumer NAS box with gigabit connectivity (and the processing muscle to handle it)? I'd love another one but 100btx is just too slow for real distributed storage computing.

Or maybe even 1394b 800mbps/100m networking connectivity...

Mr. PPC
03-11-2003, 03:13 AM
I had a system do that before (twice, once was a friends), would take several tries before my drive would get recognised and boot. I tried everything from checking my BIOS to how many AMPS I was using on the AC circuit.

One of them I replaced the HD and it worked fine, the drive I replaced worked fine in other systems. We finally figured out that it wasn't spinning up fast enough for the system for some reason, some boards allow you to change settings that effect this.

The other board was somehow related to memory. We swapped it out for Corsair memory (was generic type before) and everything worked fine and still does.

TheDuk
03-11-2003, 04:22 AM
....When windows software install a driver, it does so useing specifications provided by the bios, and goes through the bios to access the hardware. changing the bios often changes the settings the old drivers are used to. ...

Actually, that could be a good idea...
I don't remember the command off hand, but I know that there is a command that you can run at the command prompt which will un-register all drivers for the current installation (essentially removes any hardware specific data from the install). When you boot up into XP (or 2K for that matter) for the first time after running that, it'll start auto-detecting all at once....

That may solve your issue and save you from doing a re-install. The main difference at this point between a re-install and your image is essentially the driver settings.

[edit]Found the tool I was thinking about...It's called SysPrep. Link with info: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/sysprep/default.asp

[edit2]Yes, this can be used with Windows XP as well. Here's a good document on the utility (i'm sure it's just an MS readme from somewhere....https://glacier.gc.maricopa.edu/palette/softlist/xp/using_sysprep.htm

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:18 AM
Jason, does the Xp offer any repair options if you boot from the cd like Win2k does?

It does, and I tried a few options, but ultimately I didn't make any progress.

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:27 AM
Well, I finished my rebuild, and I'm in the midst of imaging it across the networking using Acronic TrueImage. It's very cool that it can gain access to a network from a simple boot disc - slick programming!

... 8O

Of course. it just failed doing the image, giving me an error that says "Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason may be poor media quality."

Poor media quality over a network...?

Steven Cedrone
03-11-2003, 06:18 AM
This is the answer. Jason just needs the determination to hang in there. Push reset, wait, push reset, wait, push reset...

Aw, come on now, I quoted the part that I thought applied... :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
03-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Of course. it just failed doing the image, giving me an error that says "Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason may be poor media quality."

Well... Even if it doesn't work, your setup still looks great... :wink:

Steve

ctmagnus
03-11-2003, 07:22 AM
It's very cool that it can gain access to a network from a simple boot disc

floppy or CD?

klinux
03-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Jason, in case if you missed my PM, here is where you can download the version 2 of the BIOS.

ftp://ftp.spacewalker.com/BIOS/fs51

The release date of this is 12/17/02. (The latest 1.x BIOS was last released 10/1/02.) Lastly, you may want to ask the SFF enthusiats/experts at Sudhian. http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 03:32 PM
It's very cool that it can gain access to a network from a simple boot disc

floppy or CD?

CD - which is one of the very cool things about this app. I love boot CDs, they're a beautiful thing! :D

The Acronis software is giving me quite a headache though.... :cry:

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
I went to the Sudhian Media forums, read the FAQ, and tried to tweak the RAM settings - and had to clear the CMOS when the unit locked up. &lt;sigh> I just can't win! :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Jason, in case if you missed my PM, here is where you can download the version 2 of the BIOS.

ftp://ftp.spacewalker.com/BIOS/fs51

The release date of this is 12/17/02. (The latest 1.x BIOS was last released 10/1/02.) Lastly, you may want to ask the SFF enthusiats/experts at Sudhian. http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43

I tried to install the 2.0 BIOS and got an error:

"The program file's part number does not match with your system".

I was using this one:

ftp://ftp.spacewalker.com/BIOS/fs51/V2.x/fs51sb0c.exe

Maybe that's a subtle hint that I shouldn't upgrade the BIOS any more... :lol: