View Full Version : 5450 Hard Reset Problem, Help

jeremyweisser
03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi,

My 5450 is great, no complaints except for this one very serious issue. I don't know if this has been discussed or not but I assume/hope other people have had similar issues and my iPaq is not defective.

The problem I am having is that when I remove the battery in my unit to replace it with a fully charged battery my device performs a hard reset. What is going on? Is this normal behavior? I can not imagine that it is but any help is much appreciated.

Jeremy

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 04:57 PM
How long are you waiting before swapping in a new battery?

If you're waiting several minutes, that's normal - you need to do it quickly. If you're doing it quickly (say, 30 seconds total), then you have a defective unit that isn't maintaining its backup battery charge.

jeremyweisser
03-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Well it resets itself within 10 seconds of me taking out the battery and then replacing it with a new battery, I guess I have to go and call HP.
OY VEY :(

numo
03-11-2003, 09:09 AM
when I remove the battery in my unit to replace it with a fully charged battery my device performs a hard reset.
How much charge has the backup battery (look at the power setting page)? Where did you charge the other battery?

My iPAQ arrived with the normal battery 70% and the backup 40% charged. It took quite a long time to bring the backup battery to 100%, longer than to charge the main one. If you are charging the batteries in an external charger, maybe the backup battery did not get a chance to fully charge.

jeremyweisser
03-11-2003, 10:09 PM
This is so strange. I figured before I called HP for a replacement unit I would give my iPaq one last chance. Somehow sensing its inevitable demise my iPaq decided to only perform a soft reset this time.

Wow, I have tried it now a couple of times and all seems to work. The only thing I have done is install the Nevo update and I doubt that had anything to do with the backup battery.

Btw, the backup battery meter has always read %100, Very strange indeed but I am happy :)

Thanks for your help everyone, J.