View Full Version : Good Alarm Software --- Needed before I go to sleep tonight !!

Mike Temporale
03-10-2003, 03:33 AM
I'm without my alarm clock tonight. I meant to get out to Radio Shack and pick up something, but it didn't happen. So what can everyone recommend as a good alarm clock software for my PPC?

I've got a iPaq 3650. I think I remember something about the internal alarms not working 100% on these devices. I'm not sure about this, but if it's a problem, I can use my wife's iPaq 1910.

Any suggestions??!?!?

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 03:56 AM
The alarm will work just fine if you do this:

1) soft reset the device
2) set the alarm, click OK
3) let the device power off on it's own

Mike Temporale
03-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks Jason, That seems to work great.

taxus
03-11-2003, 01:25 AM
I got tired of alarm clocks. My PocketPC already is my ebook reader, my note taker, appointments keeper, MP3/Ogg player, why not my alarm clock?

I like either Spb Pocket Plus or SuperAlert. Both can ignore the master volume setting, both can have ascending alarm volume, and ring indefinitely, using the system alarms or Outlook reminders.

Mike Temporale
03-12-2003, 03:28 PM
I prefer to wake up to the radio, and I'm also cautious about having one device that does it all.

The reason I needed this was to replace the alarm clock that we moved into my daughter's room. Not that she needs one, she's only 9 months old. But we needed something to tell us how often she was waking us up. And it works great, until the weekend was over ! 8O Silly, we should have realized and picked up a clock or something for her room so we could take ours back.

The internal alarm seems to be functioning fine. It's a little bit of a pain doing the soft resets and all, but I only need it for another day or so. :D

onepieceman
03-25-2003, 10:08 PM
I've tried using my XDA as an alarm clock, but it seems to be pot luck whether the alarm will go off. When it doesn't, I find that it only comes on after I soft reset the machine, whereupon the little alarm icon also appears in the today screen. But it's not very useful to me then! I want it to wake me up, not tell me that it's now remembered that it should have woken me up!

Mike Temporale
03-28-2003, 02:11 AM
onepieceman,

Try the steps that Jason listed above. It seems to work everytime for me. I don't think that the problem is specific to your device. It's a PPC thing. But follow the steps. They work. (for me anyway :mrgreen: )

pocketpcdude1024
03-28-2003, 02:17 AM
The alarm will work just fine if you do this:

1) soft reset the device
2) set the alarm, click OK
3) let the device power off on it's own

More information on why this works:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5749

qmrq
03-28-2003, 05:01 AM
My VIIx makes a great alarm clock.

onepieceman
03-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Today I had the opposite problem. My alarm went off, but then there was nothing I could do to shut it up! I went to the clock applet and switched off all the checkboxes, but still it kept ringing. In the end I was forced to soft reset. I suppose had I been patient it might have stopped on its own, but my alarm is LOUD and my head was sore.
Anyone else had this problem?

pocketpcdude1024
03-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Today I had the opposite problem. My alarm went off, but then there was nothing I could do to shut it up! I went to the clock applet and switched off all the checkboxes, but still it kept ringing. In the end I was forced to soft reset. I suppose had I been patient it might have stopped on its own, but my alarm is LOUD and my head was sore.
Anyone else had this problem?
I have had a problem that the light wouldn't stop blinking, so I soft reset the device and it went back to normal. Perhaps your constant ringing was caused my Pocket Plus or something, but usually there is only one chime for me. :?

SiBorg
04-07-2003, 02:51 PM
I get up for work at 06:15 every weekday and have had an alarm set for that time for a long time - I never adjust it.

I have not had a problem with it until recently.

The Pocket PC wakes up, flashes its light and displays the message, but... doesn't make a SOUND!

Soft resets and checking settings for Sounds & Notifications doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Then, something - I don't know what - happens. All of a sudden, when fiddling with the Clock Alarms to try and get something to work, I will get a message saying that the alarm will not sound because the Notifications checkbox isn't selected in Sounds & Notifications - Whereas it was before, and I haven't touched the flipping thing!!!

I thought that this had fixed the problem... Until it happened again!

Does anyone know what is going on.

I read on PocketPCPassion forum (which seems to have disappeared) that SuperAlert fixes the issue.

Anyone know why there is an issue in the first place, or have any better ideas??

I'm getting fed up being late for work!