View Full Version : The End To My Struggle With RSI Pain

fmcpherson
03-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Is your back facing the wall, or are you perpendicular to the wall?

Peter Foot
03-10-2003, 05:14 PM
"Personal triuph" - that sounds like a made for TV movie idea. :roll:

Although Personal Triumph sounds better :wink: :D

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Is your back facing the wall, or are you perpendicular to the wall?

Perpendicular to the wall - it also helps if you lift your chest up to get a deeper stretch. But if you've build up the damage over the years, more than likely you'll need some ART treatments before the stretching will help. The ART unlocks the muscles, then you do the stretches to keep them unlocked. :-)

ux4484
03-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Good article Jason,

I went to a Chiropractor in '84 for a compressed lowest disk and neck pain. A Surgeon first told me I was 6 months away from back surgery, the Chiropractor disagreed. After 1.5 years of therapy (and ART type back excercises that I still do to this day) I even revisited the Surgeon, when showing him my "after" X-rays, he thought they were someone "elses" X-Rays and ordered another set, when he asked what I had done to correct my back problem. I informed him I went "Chiropractic". He was actually disgusted, and asked me to leave. He predicted that within 5 years I'd be back the way I was......heh, I have been fully recovered ever since.
I don't doubt one bit that ART has helped you, and that it can help many RSI sufferers.
I've always stretched during long computer session, but there has always been some physical component to my career so I'm not plastered to a keyboard all night, and only on some occasions get RSI type pain.

I'll be giving ART a run, to prevent further problems.

Good Share!

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 05:47 PM
A Surgeon first told me I was 6 months away from back surgery, the Chiropractor disagreed. After 1.5 years of therapy (and ART type back excercises that I still do to this day) I even revisited the Surgeon, when showing him my "after" X-rays, he thought they were someone "elses" X-Rays and ordered another set, when he asked what I had done to correct my back problem. I informed him I went "Chiropractic". He was actually disgusted, and asked me to leave.

It's a surgeons job to cut, and doctors job to perscribe drugs - each have their places, but not in all circumstances. Soft muscle therapy is a far less invasive and dangerous procedure than getting cut open. That said, sometimes surgery is needed for some types of injuries. It's best to explore your options, and always look into "alternative" therapies. Although I'm quite confident that ART will be a mainstream technique within a few years.

ux4484
03-10-2003, 05:50 PM
heh.......considering that, should you change your av to a more "ART" hero instead of that Surgeon Wolverine? ;)

cpoole
03-10-2003, 05:53 PM
I have had upper back, neck & shoulder problems for years. I went to a chiropractor for years and had some relief. I recently started going to a massage therapist who uses deep massage. I do not go to the chiropractor any more. I get a 1/2 hour massage session about every 10 days & try to do regular exercise & stretches. I am now about 90% pain free. It does not hurt to try different methods... I am gald that you found the right one for you.

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 06:00 PM
I have had upper back, neck & shoulder problems for years. I went to a chiropractor for years and had some relief. I recently started going to a massage therapist who uses deep massage. I do not go to the chiropractor any more. I get a 1/2 hour massage session about every 10 days & try to do regular exercise & stretches. I am now about 90% pain free. It does not hurt to try different methods... I am gald that you found the right one for you.

I don't want to dismiss what works for you, but I too was doing the massage therapy route for several years. The problem is, it's not permanent - you can rub a muscle to relieve some tension and make it feel good, but massage doesn't get rid of that scar tissue (and going for a massage every week or two can be expensive!). If at all possible, I'd encourage you to give ART a try - I haven't had an ART treatment in about six months, and the only time I have to go back is if I slack off in my stretching and my muscles get messed up again. :roll:

SassKwatch
03-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Are there specific therapies for individual fingers?

My 'mouse finger' has been a sufficient problem that I've started mousing around with the other hand.

Dyehouse1
03-10-2003, 06:05 PM
I have the perfect answer, purchase the following:

Footrest
Decent high backed chair
Logitech MX500
MS Natural Keyboard

.....added bonus is that your gaming improves too :)

paulbiba
03-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Here's a tip for anyone who has finger or wrist problems from mousing. Get a Wacom tablet and use the pen instead of the mouse. This has completely cured my problems, and has been endorsed by my chiropractor, who is now prescribing it to other patients. When your wrist gets tired from the pen, change to the mouse, and vice versa.

bdeli
03-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks Jason for the informative article. I am one of those with severe RSI at times and it gets real bad when I am under the pressure of work deadlines to meet.

Last purchase I made to help my ailing fingers was to get a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet. It takes some time to get used to, but it seems to relax my wrist/fingers more than my ms wireless intellimouse explorer.

Next thing on my list to try - ART!

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 06:15 PM
Are there specific therapies for individual fingers?My 'mouse finger' has been a sufficient problem that I've started mousing around with the other hand.

Absolutely - my ART therapist does this pull/rotate thing that works wonders for my fingers. If there's a muscle, ART can treat it. There's something like 300 different treatments in total...and most ART therapist specializes in a different parts of the body because it's very difficult to be certified in all of them.

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 06:20 PM
I have the perfect answer, purchase the following:

Footrest
Decent high backed chair
Logitech MX500
MS Natural Keyboard

I've tried it all. Different equipment, different chairs, different positions - they just use different muscles. The same problems will come back. When I switched to a natural keyboard I thought "Wow, the pain is gone" - but after a few years (and a few natural keyboards - I burn up 1-2 a year) it all comes back. The human muscular system just wasn't build to use certain muscles in isolation without overall movement...

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Here's a tip for anyone who has finger or wrist problems from mousing. Get a Wacom tablet and use the pen instead of the mouse. This has completely cured my problems, and has been endorsed by my chiropractor, who is now prescribing it to other patients. When your wrist gets tired from the pen, change to the mouse, and vice versa.

I tried that too for a year or so - it took the focus off the over-used muscles, but over time those "pen tablet" muscles will also get overused. :? It's better than a mouse though in that it promotes larger movements, which allows for more overall muscle movement.

Jason Dunn
03-10-2003, 06:24 PM
I hope no one feels I'm being argumentative, but I've tried *everything* over the past 11 years, and there's no permanent ergonomic/technological solution to this...until we get neural computer controls. Then we'll have neural RSI problems where it hurts to think. :lol:

SassKwatch
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
...until we get neural computer controls. Then we'll have neural RSI problems where it hurts to think. :lol:

You mean you don't have that problem already?!?!? :)

I, for one, am glad you've posted about your experiences as I've just begun to develop some of these problems over the last yr or so. Normally, I'd be pretty skeptical of 'testimonials' about 'alternative' therapies. All too often they carry the stigma of 'scam' with them and one gets the impression the 'testimonials' have been bought. But if you're willing to put the integrity of your own site on the line by offering same, I'm much more inclined to believe there's substance involved.

Peter Foot
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
...until we get neural computer controls. Then we'll have neural RSI problems where it hurts to think. :lol:

Get those already, difficult to do stretching exercises with your brain... :lol:

Inventor
03-10-2003, 07:25 PM
I work/live/chat on PC's all day (both for the website and NewSpeak) and can give you an idea that works great for me:

Get 6 PC's !!!

No - its not a joke. I have 6 active PC's here. Each one is for a specific task. Mod Music Player, NewSpeak, programming, Internet etc. They arent all PIII's (infact this one is a 486-100).

I walk around from PC to PC doing/monitoring each task. I get alot of exercise during the day doing this and im in top shape.

They only problem is that I have to 'discharge' myself once every 1/2 hour (Ouch). The best way to do this is to hold a spoon and let it spark on a sink.

MasterOfMoo
03-10-2003, 07:37 PM
:scatter:
Stretching techniques ended up going a long for me as well. I've gone through various degrees of pain over the years, also wanting to avoid contact with a knife. When I recently went through a relocation for my job, I joined a yoga class (somewhat for the novelty of it) at a local gym. I abhor anything remotely classified as "exercise" in any sense, so I just looked at the classes as a way to stretch out and relax after rough days. The unexpected perk was that my pain, over time, faded away.

Although my experiences of the pain don't sound quite as severe as the original article (from Jason), I could easily see myself ending up at that point if I didn't stumble into my own type of therapy.

felixdd
03-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Hmm...I wonder if this will work on my scoliosis -- it's beem moving from my lower back to my neck. I was seeing a physiotherapist about it until my mom's medical insurance ran out on us (recent lay off) and I've been neglecting to do my exercises....:?

BTW -- what's the difference between Carpal Tunnel and RSI?

JvanEkris
03-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Jason,

Thank you for your article. It's a new way for me and a collegue to try in our fight against RSI. Your report gives me courage.......

As i might so free to give a tip to you and the other co-fighters against RSI: try applications like Workpace (http://www.workpace.com). It forces you to take a break on a regular basis and perform your stretching. If you're a good boy it isn't anoying. If you disregard it, it becomes more agressive and blocks use to your system until you completed your break (and hopefully your stretching).

Jaap

Rok
03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Hmm...I wonder if this will work on my scoliosis -- it's beem moving from my lower back to my neck. I was seeing a physiotherapist about it until my mom's medical insurance ran out on us (recent lay off) and I've been neglecting to do my exercises....:?

It will not cure scoliosis (there's no cure for that), but it will stop it from advancing too rapidly. As you have correctly noticed, it "moves" from lower back to the neck. It's simple physics, really - your body attempts to correct your bad stature by creating a counter-point. It gets worse. Do not neglect your excercise - no surgery will help you.

CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) is just one form of RSI. Tennis elbow is another, also very common. This phenomenon occurs whenever there are repetitive, monotonous movements done by limbs (or neck) - it stretches the nerves and damages them at the points where they cross joints (or are otherwise exposed).

Jasons' advice is actually a very sound one. Stretching is a perfect form of physical (and, to a large degree, psychological as well!) stress-relief. Nothing can be ergonomical enough to relieve you of stress - you should do it yourself, and do it on a regular basis.

Note: unlike Jason, I am a doctor (hence my avatar), so I just felt I have to chime in.

Regards,
Rok

P.S.
An anecdote: while travelling in Scandinavia, I stumbled upon a unique shop selling fabulous chairs. The company name is Stokke - they invented the famous office chair design (copied over and over) without the backrest - the one that adds support for your legs below knee. I sat in a few of the newer, more comfortable chairs (they do sport backrests) and felt they were the absolutely most comfortable chairs ever.

Anyway, to cut the story short: their chairs have an instruction manual. And it tells you, plain and simple, to do almost exactly what Jason wrote. Stand up. Make a few steps. Stretch. Repeat every hour!

Oh, and if you decide to treat yourself to one of those Stokke chairs - they go from one grand (USD) and up...

JvanEkris
03-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Oh, and if you decide to treat yourself to one of those Stokke chairs - they go from one grand (USD) and up...

Relatively cheap if you consider that a bad back can restrict your career severely......

Jaap

fmcpherson
03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
But isn't Carpal Tunnel, which I understand to be largely a nerve problem, different than Tendenitis (tennis elbow), which is a muscular problem? My problem as diagnosed by my doctor is tendenitis in my wrists. My right wrist is really touchy with using a mouse, so I do all of my "mousing" with my left hand, which has helped a lot. But none-the-less, the pain in both of my wrists flairs up with too much time at the computer.

Janak Parekh
03-10-2003, 08:38 PM
You mean you don't have that problem already?!?!? :)
Good point. :) If you've ever participated in an academic competition (such as math or programming), or even in a difficult standardized exam, your brain truly "hurts". I just hope it doesn't form RSI. :lol:

--janak

Bill Gunn
03-10-2003, 08:50 PM
I've struggled with RSI (repeatative strain injury) problems for 11 years now - imagine getting RSI when you're 17...that was me!

8O I've been programming almost as long as you've been alive and I have yet to experience any form of RSI. Do you ever get out from behind the keyboard? :D

Go fishing. Build a treehouse. Go bowling. Plant a garden. Rebuild a '57 Chevy. Have some fun man. Also set aside at least 2 days a month and 1 solid week a year where you don't even see a computer or TV. Seriously. Your productivity will soar.

Bill Gunn
03-10-2003, 08:54 PM
Oh. BTW. I've eaten enough Aspartame to float a battleship. Maybe Aspartame prevents RSI. :lol:

Rok
03-10-2003, 08:56 PM
But isn't Carpal Tunnel, which I understand to be largely a nerve problem, different than Tendenitis (tennis elbow), which is a muscular problem? My problem as diagnosed by my doctor is tendenitis in my wrists. My right wrist is really touchy with using a mouse, so I do all of my "mousing" with my left hand, which has helped a lot. But none-the-less, the pain in both of my wrists flairs up with too much time at the computer.
In CTS, the "tunnel" under the carpal ligament is narrowed because of the fibrous tissue proliferation (which in turn is a result of constant irritation that causes inflamation of the tissue). So this is basically a chronic state as a result of frequently repeated acute trauma. Tennis elbow is generally associated with an acute episode (that doesn't last very long). But it also gets chronical (particularly if the reason is something more common than playing tennis), and the end result is more or less similar - restricted movement with pain and parestesias. But yes, you are correct in that they are not the same medical entity. I wanted to show how broad (and diverse) the implications of RSI are...

Regards,
Rok

Tim Allen
03-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the in-depth article, Jason, and for suggesting a solution which sounds like it has real promise. I'd also come to the conclusion that I was only moving the problem around by swapping mouse hands, using trackballs, etc rather than really getting to the heart of it. I'll look into ART and give your exercises a go.

Rok
03-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Oh. BTW. I've eaten enough Aspartame to float a battleship. Maybe Aspartame prevents RSI. :lol:

So you are the "BillG" that requested to be banned in the infamous aspartame thread? Don't worry, I'm certain that Jason will gladly ban you once more.

Rok
03-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Relatively cheap if you consider that a bad back can restrict your career severely......
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, not everyone can afford a $ 1000+ piece of furniture to sit on... :(

Regards,
Rok

Jimmy Dodd
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
My solution: get up and go get coffee more often. Works for me. :morning:

JvanEkris
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Thank god my employer sees good furniture as an investment in the productivity of people rather than an expense :)

Jaap

drop
03-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Thank you, Jason. I really appreciate you taking the time to write about this issue.

We usually forget we have a body that needs regular maintenance to be in good shape. Heck, I pay a lot more attention to my Axim than my health :oops: . A reminder once a while is greatly appreciated.

Stretching is key. Think of it as rebooting.

trepine
03-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Well, since I read the site twice a day, but have never had something to contribute, I guess here is my chance.

As alluded to above RSI is a problem of the Carpal Tunnel. The carpal tunnel is formed by the transverse carpal ligament and the carpal bones. The ligament has some give, but it is minimal. The bones obviously have no give at all. Through this canal runs the median nerve, and the flexor tendons to the fingers. Typical symptoms include numbness or tingling in the thumb, index, and long fingers. It should be noted that not all numbness and tingling is carpal tunnel.

So to the real problem, the carpal tunnel is a fixed size structure, and there is not a lot of room. The problem comes when there is swelling of any of the structures in the canal. That can mean swelling of the tendons, the synovium (structures encasing the tendons), or some component by the ligament itself.

For whatever reason, in RSI there is inflamation and edema (swelling) that occurs in the carpal tunnel. This ultimately results in neuropathy. Mild neuropathy is manifest as tingling and numbness, very common is to wake up in the middle of the night with it. Over time you can develop weakness, and certain muscles of your hand can actually atrophy (shrink). When this happens the damage is usually irreversible.

Physical therapy of many sorts seems to help the symptoms. Stretching etc. How exactly each works I do not think is entirely known. The whole key is that if stretching (conservative treatment) does not work, then at some time people will need definitive (surgery) treatment. Many people find splinting to work very well. I am happy that you have found something that works for you. The same thing should be easily achievable at home I would think. I know that after a long typing session (i.e. this post) that some extension stretches (bending my fingers back) makes me feel mighty good.

Cheers,
trepine

kfluet
03-11-2003, 12:16 AM
People who use computers need to discuss RSI issues more often, not just in RSI forums and not only after the problems start. My problems have been minor, thankfully, and solved with full sized ergo keyboards, telephone headsets, proper furniture and posture, stretching, and exercise.

Prevention is absolutely vital to avoid repetitive stress, neck and back problems, and deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in your legs).

Make it a habit to stand up and stretch when you are talking on the phone headset. Avoid that cramped little laptop keyboard when you can.

And, of course, write on your PocketPC for variety of motion.. Hey, I think I just made this discussion ON topic.

Marc Zimmermann
03-11-2003, 06:46 AM
The solution?
For me, switching to Microsoft's Natural Keyboard all the way back in 1994 resolved my RSI pains. I now use one whenever I can and I also have one in my office (originally bought myself, my later employers agreed to get one for me).

When I happen to extensively use the mouse (I'm a true keyboard person, moving around in Windows mostly with keyboard shortcuts), I sometimes feel RSI as well. It was much worse with the large and tilted Explorer Mouse, so I turned to the Optical Mouse.

Kati Compton
03-12-2003, 12:20 AM

Don't - my mother has very bad scoliosis and pays for it. My niece has it - what's *REALLY* helped her (no guarantee for others) is swimming.

The only thing that works for my mother at this point is apparently chiropractors and massage. I wish she'd also check with a regular physical therapist, though. I'm not entirely against the "alternative" therapies, but she hasn't gotten a "non-alternative" opinion in maybe 2-3 decades, and it might be good for her to find out if anything has changed...

That's one form of RSI.

Ekkie Tepsupornchai
03-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Great article Jason.

This is an issue I think of more and more as I get older. I do have occasional issues with my right hand (mouse hand). I also had to "go easy" on the keyboard. Sometimes I type so fast and then I'll rapidly start hittiing keys on the right side (especially backspace) and that rapid, intense activity doesn't do my conditions any favors.

Maybe it's time to give ART and these stretching methods a look.

Ekkie Tepsupornchai
03-12-2003, 02:57 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, not everyone can afford a $ 1000+ piece of furniture to sit on... :(
While a chair is not the total solution (as alluded to earlier), I've heard on more than a few occasions that a chair is highly underrated. Many of us probably spend most of our lives in an office chair. $1000 certainly sounds like a great investment, even worth taking out a loan with the dividends it pays you.

klinux
03-12-2003, 10:02 AM
IMHO, the best medicine is simply less time on the PC no matter what awesome setup you have and more time sweating, exercising, etc. I can certainly use more of the latter myself! Ten years later, you will not miss that 60 minutes you missed per day on the PC but you will benefit from exercise. Of course, do I do what I preach? :oops:

Jason Dunn
03-14-2003, 10:08 PM
While a chair is not the total solution (as alluded to earlier), I've heard on more than a few occasions that a chair is highly underrated. Many of us probably spend most of our lives in an office chair. $1000 certainly sounds like a great investment, even worth taking out a loan with the dividends it pays you.

Here here! I'm sat on the same crappy Office Depot chair for almost five years now, and I felt it was high time I invested in something decent, so I ordered a Herman Miller Aeron chair (http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,1592,a10-c440-p8,00.html)...drool...considering how much time I spend sitting on my butt, this is a good investment. :lol:

Jason Dunn
03-14-2003, 10:09 PM
IMHO, the best medicine is simply less time on the PC no matter what awesome setup you have and more time sweating, exercising, etc. I can certainly use more of the latter myself! Ten years later, you will not miss that 60 minutes you missed per day on the PC but you will benefit from exercise. Of course, do I do what I preach? :oops:

Indeed, very good advice. Sadly, I'm not very good at following it. :oops: :lol:

Ekkie Tepsupornchai
03-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Here here! I'm sat on the same crappy Office Depot chair for almost five years now, and I felt it was high time I invested in something decent, so I ordered a Herman Miller Aeron chair (http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,1592,a10-c440-p8,00.html)...drool...considering how much time I spend sitting on my butt, this is a good investment. :lol:
Of all the chairs I've had to opportunity to sit in, those are the cream of the crop. If I was actually home more often or if I was stationed in one location for an extended period, I'd be looking to get the same chair.

Trade Wind
03-16-2003, 08:33 AM

I *just* ordered this chair on Thursday from http://sit4less.com/aeronchair.html. I can't wait!! I've been in the same boat holding on to a 4 year old chair which is actually broken now. High time is right! I was watching Countdown: IRAQ on MSNBC TV the other day...every single anchor chair is a Herman Miller Aeron chair. That says something.

Janak Parekh
03-17-2003, 06:41 PM
I was watching Countdown: IRAQ on MSNBC TV the other day...every single anchor chair is a Herman Miller Aeron chair. That says something.
During the dot-com boom, the number of Aeron chairs out there was insane. Too bad I didn't hit eBay during the bust - apparently a lot of them were being auctioned off for cheap.

--janak

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I've been meaning to write a column on this issue for over a year now, but it kept slipping my mind. A recent thread in the forums reminded me how much I wanted to share my personal triumph over RSI with all of you, because if there's one thing we all have in common, it's probably RSI issues. "Personal triuph" - that sounds like a made for TV movie idea. :roll: <br /><br />If you spend a great deal of time in front of a computer without moving, the result is inevitable. Repetative strain injuries plague the computing industry, and have ended more than one promising career, but there's a solution that just might work for you - and it doesn't involve going under the knife. I swore I wouldn't do another "medical" off topic post after <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2505">what happened with the Aspartame thread</a>, but this time I'm speaking from personal experience, and if only a few of you are freed from RSI pain, it's worth any of the flames I'll get. :wink: <!><i>I've struggled with RSI (repeatative strain injury) problems for 11 years now - imagine getting RSI when you're 17...that was me! I've had the burning sensation in my arms and wrists, the sharp stabbing pain, the numbness, the throbbing ache, all of it. Some days I was so bad I could barely type on a keyboard - it felt like my nerves were dysfunctional. My grip was weak, my hands felt clumsy. If any of that describes your problems, please keep reading.</i><br /><br /><b>NOTE: I am not a doctor, nor a medical health care professional. Nothing in this article should be taken as medical advice - instead, this is my story of how I found a solution to my struggle with RSI. If nothing else, I hope this will encourage you to look into ART therapy and discover if it can help you.</b><br /><br /><b><span>What Caused RSI for Me</span></b><br />Too much time at a computer is the cause, but the real problem is that we're using one set of muscles and not the opposing set - something fundamentally opposite to the way we were biologically designed to function. I've read that, over time, people with serious RSI can even end up with one arm being slightly shorter than the other - the muscles' length is actually altered because they're so out of balance. RSI problems are slowly debilitating the computer industry: the price of RSI problems has been estimated as high as $110 billion per year in lost productivity, therapy treatments, and workers compensation.<br /><br />In an effort to find a cure for my problems, over the past decade I've tried massage, physiotherapy, Craniosacral therapy, accupressure, chiropractic treatments, wrist braces, magnets, copper bracelets, electro-pulse muscle therapy, electronic muscle massagers, herbal supplements to reduce swelling, and a few other crazy things. I've tried new chairs, new desks, new keyboards, new mice, new tablets. Everything helps a little, but only for a short time - because I'm only treating the symptoms, not the problem. I've managed to avoid the surgery though, thankfully. <br /><br /><b><span>What's The Solution To RSI?</span></b><br />It's so simple it's laughable, but I swear to you it's the solution to all sorts of RSI problems. I'm not a doctor or a physical therapist, but I've spent a good portion of my life researching this, only finding the "cure" in the past two years. And it's not really a cure, because it's something you need to keep doing. It's a treatment that you can do yourself in your own home or workplace, and for me, it cured a decade of RSI problems.<br /><br />The solution? <i>Stretch</i>. <br /><br />That's right, get out of your chair, move around, and stretch. The overall solution is a little more complex than that, but that's the essence of the solution: move those muscles.<br /><br /><b><span>The Magic Bullet: Active Release Technique</span></b><br />Odds are, if you have a problem serious enough to notice, you'll need a little help getting the muscles working properly. That's where an amazing muscle therapy technique comes into play: <a href="http://www.activereleasetechnique.com/">Active Release Technique.</a><br /><br />It's a treatment developed by chiropractors primarily for athletes, and I can honestly say there's nothing like it. Essentially, the chiropractor puts pressure on a certain muscle, then has you move through a range of motions. As you move that muscle, it attains a range of motion it lost. That in turn reduces the inflammation and pain by breaking up the scar tissue that has built up, causing the discomfort. The treatment itself is a little painful, but after a few weeks of regular treatments, the difference is amazing. I've had a few people I know go in for treatments, and they've all made full recoveries. Here's a great description of this technique from the <a href="http://www.activerelease.com/">official ART Web site:</a><br /><br />"Upon an initial injury (micro-trauma to severe) the first process to take place is inflammation. This process sets off a whole cascade of events leading to fluid accumulating in the surrounding tissues and cells migrating to the injured area to begin tissue repair. This fluid build up and release of chemicals leads to increased tissue pressure and pain as well as the process of scar tissue formation. When scar tissue is laid down as part of the repair process it leads to increased friction in the tissues as they aren't permitted to freely glide. This friction leads to more inflammation and the cycle repeats. In chronic conditions the scar tissue also leads to poor circulation thereby promoting more adhesions in the area. <br /><br />When scar tissue is left there over time it begins to contract more and more until it becomes like "crazy glue" where simple stretches, massage, physical therapy and even chiropractic can't break it up. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced ranges of motion, loss of strength and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness and weakness. At this point the medical profession would warrant surgery leaving unwanted scars with minimal success and months of rehab. Active Release can restore this normal motion and tissue structure without the unwanted side effects."<br /><br /><b><span>ART Is Only The First Step</span></b><br />Now once you go for a few of these treatments, it's up to you to keep the muscles in good shape. Here's where the stretching comes in. Your ART therapist will give you a complete range of exercises to do, but there's one that, for me, if I don't do it twice a day, I can tell because all the symptoms come back in short order.<br /><br />This is what I do two to four times a day: stand perpendicular to a wall with your left shoulder about a foot away from the wall (you should not be facing the wall). Take your left hand and place it behind you, palm on the wall with your fingers spread out, then lean forward with your upper torso. You should feel a deep stretch in your shoulder and down your arm. Don't push forward too hard, but it should be enough to really feel it. You can also lift your chest upwards for a deeper stretch. Hold this for 30 seconds, then reverse and do the other arm (right shoulder to the wall, right hand behind you). Do the same thing, only with your arm up at a 45 degree angle (it's behind and above you). You can also do the same thing with your hand pointed 45 degrees down. There are other great stretches you can do, but I find that this one is the best for me - 120 seconds twice a day is all it takes to keep me pain-free.<br /><br /><b><span>And There You Have It</span></b><br />I'm no doctor, but I can speak from my personal struggles: this solution worked for me when nothing else did. If you struggle with RSI problems of any type, I'd urge you to go find a qualified ART practitioner and seek out treatment. It was the best decision I've ever made, because it gave me back my career, and to a large degree, my life.<br /><br />If you've found this article to be helpful, please forward it to people you know who may be suffering from RSI pain.

dommasters
05-19-2004, 01:17 AM
MASSIVE THANKS JASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought my computer career was finished until tonight. It's 1am here and thanks to your thread I now have some hope. The numbness in my arms, pins and needles and aches have become unvbearable. Some nights I can't even sleep. Wasn't 100% sure it was RSI until right now. Thought it was maybe even a heart condition !
THANK YOU x 1000 and .... tomorrow is the start of my new healthier existence doing some stretching ....
Dom
PS Apologies for gushing but this is a life saver for me. Sooooo depressing thinking I'd have to quit computers ....

Jason Dunn
05-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Glad I could help. :-)

THANK YOU x 1000 and .... tomorrow is the start of my new healthier existence doing some stretching ....

I should note that the stretching won't do much until you get the ART treatment or something similar to break down the scar tissue that has built up. Once you break that down, the stretching is what maintains the motion and keeps the buildup from coming back.

Here's an interesting article about ART:
http://www.ironman25.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=17

I'm having a hard time finding if there are any ART therapists in London though...

Zack Mahdavi
05-19-2004, 03:16 AM
I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain for years ever since I was 12. I'm 20 now, and after a couple failed physical therapy attempts to cure the problem, I'm still stuck in the same boat.

What I don't understand is how is physical therapy different from ART? I still had to do the stretches with the "bands." I guess I just don't understand the fundamental difference between physical therapy and ART.

It's interesting how this thread popped up again, as I will be going to the doctor tomorrow morning. I really feel like I should attack this neck pain problem before I get any older; otherwise, I might have some real issues in the future.

Jason Dunn
05-19-2004, 05:57 AM
What I don't understand is how is physical therapy different from ART?

It's difficult to explain how ART is different, but trust me, I've been through all sorts of physical therapy, and it didn't do a darn thing for me. ART is so radically different I can't begin to explain it - but when your first treatment starts, you'll understand immediately how it's different. I'd really encourage you to check it out if there's someone in your area that offers it.

dommasters
05-19-2004, 07:33 AM
My doctor said it was old age (3 months ago) but the symptoms rocketed after a stint of 12 hours a day coding. I code on my bed so have the back issue too but they cured this with quasi situps. Position yourself as if to do a situp but only lift the front half of your body up so that your back arches. Hold thay position and repeat 10 times at a time x 10 times a day .... easy to do something less boring instead with this one ! Same principle as for the RSI symptoms I guess and it works !
Last year my knee seized up and would not move at the joint ! I now see it is all related due to scar tissue etc....
7am now and jumped out of my pit ready for the stretching. I'm 5 miles from the nearest shop never mind an ART practitioner so hopefully I can get a book or something......
Thanks to Jason and God above as .... I was sooooo convinced it was heart disease (pins and needles in left arm isn't a great sign to have in life) and had started to plan quitting work etc..... however the dead feeling in my right arm, hand and fingers plus the wierd aches made me think it was something else.
In a twist of fate I bought an "RSI" VW Beetle a few weeks ago :0)))) Bizarre !

wamatt
10-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Awesome article Jason thank you. This is really great news. I came across another site first:

http://www.howibeatrsi.com/, intrigued I searched some more and found your article.

Similar story, at first I was very skeptical (i don't like anything "alternative"). But after going to a "specialist" at the hospital, they fobbed it off and gave me quartazone injections in my hands. Yah I felt fine for all of 4 days. I find if I use Ibuprofen it takes the pain away. But I know thats just relief and probably a bad idea to rely on it in the long run.

I also now am convinced of their is a link between posture and my sore hands. I have kyphosis caused by shermans disease (aparently its genetic) but I think its cause by being tall and slouching and being shy when I was younger not standing up straight /w chin forward ;p. And of course 16 hours of PC a day fo the last 15 years (I'm now 26).

I also sit in bed and work on a laptop. Probably another bad idea ;p And I am the most unsupple person in the world.

Amazingly im only now starting to feel the effects of abuse. I get it worst on my pinky finger, and also at the "first joint" - ie the join that connects the finger to the hand. I can see small swelling and slight darkening in that area. Painful to grips things although its odd because its hard to actually pinpoint the location of the pain.

Too bad there are no ART practioner in my country. (South Africa) :(

Jason Dunn
10-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Glad you found my article helpful, and very sorry to hear that you're in such bad shape. Based on what you've said in your message, you have definite cause for concern and should try to get help ASAP.

But after going to a "specialist" at the hospital, they fobbed it off and gave me quartazone injections in my hands. Yah I felt fine for all of 4 days. I find if I use Ibuprofen it takes the pain away. But I know thats just relief and probably a bad idea to rely on it in the long run.

I think Ibuprofen takes swelling down, right? That helps a bit, but if it's mostly just masking the pain, that's actually making things worse because it allows you to work through the pain and actually cause more damage.

Too bad there are no ART practioner in my country. (South Africa) :(

Indeed, that is unfortunate. Here's an option though:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556435568/qid=1130526109/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-8556946-9069121

This book was written by an ART practitioner that I went to see, and he really knows his stuff. So perhaps this is a place for you to start. If you can't get a copy from Amazon (I don't know if they ship everywhere in the world), let me know and I might be able to get a copy for you.

Above all though, I'd encourage you to take steps now before it gets even worse, and try to change your lifestyle a bit (more breaks, go out for walks, stretch, etc.). I know how hard that is, trust me, but you're 26 and have a lot of years ahead of you - and you don't want to spend them crippled. :|

wamatt
11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Jason,

Thanks I've made some adjustments to my workplace. For one I think using a notebook in bed is BAD IDEA. (infact notebooks in general).

I've tried to start streteching more, doing swimming, going to chiro and message which hopefully is going to help.

Have a quick questions.. what EXACTLY is ART? I have read quick a few parts of the book and looked online but can't find anthing concrete. What happens? Do they press on your back, give you supplements, use equipment?

Jason Dunn
11-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Have a quick questions.. what EXACTLY is ART? I have read quick a few parts of the book and looked online but can't find anthing concrete.

It's a soft tissue manipulation technique used to break down scar tissue to free up the muscle and restore motion. No machines are used - the practitioner press and holds on part of the muscle, the moves your arm/leg/whatever through its range of motion, and breaks down the built-up scar tissue. It can hurt a bit, but it sure beats surgery!

PetiteFlower
11-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Massage therapy (which it sounds like this is a form of) is IMO the best treatment for breaking up scar tissue. It will hurt some, but if the practitioner is decent it shouldn't be unbearable. I'm also a big fan of chiropractic care for neck and back injuries

Jason Dunn
11-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Massage therapy (which it sounds like this is a form of) is IMO the best treatment for breaking up scar tissue.

The effectiveness of massage therapy will vary from person to person, but in my case I never found a massage therapist that could break up scar tissue. ART was the only thing that worked for me. That said, I still go for a massage once a month. :-)