View Full Version : O2 XDA - Playing MP3's from MMC Card - Possible?

dworkin
03-08-2003, 11:53 PM
I was having problems playing mp3's from the MMC storage card (WMP just stops so far in to a track and withMP3 loops back to an earlier point in track).

I e-mailed O2's tech help and receved the following:
"We believe MP3's cannot be played direct from storage cards. I had the same query a couple of weeks ago and seeked advice on this from a technical team coach. They stated that it was only possible to play these from the RAM and could not play direct from a storage card.

However if you do find a way of doing this I would be interested to know how, as this could help us with future queries. I hope you enjoy using the XDA and the exciting features it offers. "

Seems crazy to me but is it true? I was hoping to keep a stack of tracks on MMC since 32 meg of ram ain't enough for a decent CDs worth of music.

Jason Dunn
03-09-2003, 12:48 AM
This is a bunch of utter nonsense. I can assure you that I've successfully played both audio and video files from an MMC card in my XDA.

It could be a bad MMC card, bad MP3s, or both. Try transcoding them to WMA format and see if that helps at all...

Paragon
03-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Jason is right it's utter nonsense. I don't know how people with such little knowledge can be put in a position to offer support. In this case not just the first level but a higher level as well.

Anyway......I remember quite some time ago, maybe even a year ago there were a lot of people having similar problems using MMC/SD cards. I don't think anyone ever put their finger on the exact problem, but most came to the conclusion that it was the method they were using to get mp3's to the PPC.

I would suggest removing the files from your card, and try a different method. If you are ripping CD's try different software. If you are file sharing try ripping.....AS I said I can't tell you why but for most people I think it fixed their problem.

Dave

dworkin
03-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Thanks Jason and Paragon - I think I suspected a certain lack of helpdesk savvy when THEY asked ME to let them know if I solved it!

I did as you suggested (transcode etc and that seems to be the ticket)

Still at least O2 got back to me within hours (unlike a certain Dutch Company whose name starts with an 'f' sound and who, besides the insane Blair and Dubya, are the present target for my divine and righteous anger)

cheers