View Full Version : PocketPC Phone question...

cab124
03-08-2003, 07:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone might explain the difference between GSM/GPRS and CDMA. I keep hearing about them, but I am not sure what the differences are. Between the two, which one is preferrable??

I am currently using a Samsung 8500 phone on the SprintPCS network. Is this GSM/GPRS or CDMA?

Also, I am axiously awaiting the Samsung i700, which is supposed to have
a version that runs on both GSM/GPRS and CDMA. Which one should I go with???

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on going with an i700 vs. waiting to see what HP is going to come out with?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

bdegroodt
03-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm sure far more technical responses will come, but here's a start for you.

On your current equipment. You're on CDMA (SprintPCS and Verizon are the major CDMA operators in the US.). A decent summary of the technology is available here (http://www.cellular.co.za/cdma.htm) Popular in U.S. , Asia and

GSM is offered by Cingular, AT&T and T-Mobile in the U.S. and a lot of others in North America and Europe. I believe until fairly recently, in U.S. CDMA/TDMA was the prevelant service, whoever that's either already changed or is quickly becoming so now that AT&T and Cingular are almost done with their TDMA transistions.

A good glossary of these terms as well as the phones you are looking at is available at www.phonescoop.com.

Personally, since I travel internationally, I prefer GSM for it's transportability from one operator to the next without having roaming charges (I buy a SIM when I get into town and have in essence local service while I am there instead of paying $2.00 a minute.).

Both have their advantages and it's no different than the Mac vs PC arguments. Neither is a bad technology and both are excellent tested systems.

On the i700, that's going to be a CDMA phone. The HP (If it ever sees the light of day seems to look like it's going to be a GSM/GPRS phone (Rumors and all, plus the 545x has a SIM slot that seems to indicate some work in that area by the HP gang.).[/url]

cab124
03-08-2003, 04:19 PM
I really appreciate the info. I had no idea what alot of this phone lingo was all about.

I recently lost my SprintPCS cell phone, so I am forced to buy another phone very soon. This bums me out because I was waiting to buy a PocketPC/Phone combo, but I wanted to wait for the next generation. It looks like the i700 is the most promising prospect. Then again, the other factor is that PocketPC 2003 is probably going to be released soon. Will the i700 support it? Who knows!!

Being hooked on technology is not easy!!!

Cortex
03-11-2003, 05:11 AM
another thing to consider is the data plans offered by the different carriers. in the US the t-mobile/att pocket pc phone is the only one out there (that i know of). its gprs and the data plan is about $35/month for 20mb of data (which is much more than i use -- in fact ill probably switch to 10mb/month). there was also a recent report that t-mobile europe is HALVING their data plan rates and it should occur in the US soon.

on the cdma side, sprint offers Vision plans which are technically only for phones. but people using the thera have said they are able to use it with the Vision plans rather than paying the separate data plan rates. the cool thing about the Vision plans are they offer unlimited data (but as i said, technically they are only to be used with phones). they may become strict about this once the more desirable i700 and hitachi phones arrive.