View Full Version : CF and SD cards both at same time ? + relative speed

colinkhalid
03-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi

An easy question for as you current users .

I am planning to buy a pocket Loox and wanted to make sure that you can use both the SD card and CF card at the same time.

i.e put all your mp3's on the C.F and run applications from the SD card for example

Also which is faster SD/MMC cards or CF cards I thought that SD/MMC was faster but I saw a post saying that CF cards were faster !!

Thanks in adance
Colin

octop8
03-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Yes, you can run both at the same time. I have a Toshiba e550g with dual slots and I use the SD slot mainly for storage and the CF slots for my bluetooth or GPRS modems at the same time with no problems - I'm sure the Loox will have the same capability although confirmation from Loox users would of course be better.

Pony99CA
03-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I am planning to buy a pocket Loox and wanted to make sure that you can use both the SD card and CF card at the same time.

i.e put all your mp3's on the C.F and run applications from the SD card for example

I can certainly do it on my iPAQ 3870.

Also which is faster SD/MMC cards or CF cards I thought that SD/MMC was faster but I saw a post saying that CF cards were faster !!

I think the data path is wider on a CF card (16-bit vs. 4-bit), and so transfers are faster. Unfortunately, trying to find out the details has been a pain, and I gave up. :-( Nothing that I saw on several Google searches found the path information for Compact Flash or Secure Digital.

Steve

aquanaut
03-09-2003, 06:10 AM
Typical write speeds to CF vs. SD would concur with Pony99CA's comments regarding 4-bit vs. 16-bit. On my LOOX, I use a 128mb SD for storing programs and data (chinese, gps, maps, databases, avantgo and my_document data). I use the CF for WiFi (Symbol), GPS (Holux GM270), and a 1Gb cf card (video, music, back-ups). Aside from speed issues, I have had no problems using this configuration. When prices drop, I'll upgrade my SD to 512MB or 1GB.

Only problem LOOX users have seen is using the native LX-Backup program and saving to CF card. After a hard reset (e.g., firmware upgrade), users restoring their system using this back-up from the CF card have reported problems restarting the LOOX with a CF card in place. I do not use the LX-Backup program and always reinstall programs fresh, so no problems here.

Cheers

JvanEkris
03-09-2003, 12:28 PM
You should NOT (at all time) restore an old backup after a firmware upgrade. This screws up your OS big time because some things in the OS are replaced with their old versions again.

I have been using the combination of a CF card (256Mb) and SD card (128Mb) at the same time for 6 months now. My observations
CF is faster then SD memory. Especially for playing MP3 this could cause some strange effects (MP3's on my SD card play but sometimes have long pauses between them)
After a soft reset, my SD card was to slow to initialise. Because my Loox stores its inbox attachments on SD as well, the Loox automatically creates a directory called "SD-MMCard". After this, the real card gets reinitialised, being called "SD-MMCard2". A lot of programs don't like this:(. Directly after a soft-reset you should remove the "SD-MMCard" folder, and reinsert the SD card. If you start Outlook, it gets locked, and you can't delete it. If you remove the CF-card before the reset, you have no problems.
Some apps require a lot of time to start: they search both cards for files.
These are just my observations, it could be the quality of the cards (sandisk), but i was very happy i switched to one large 512Mb SD card a week ago (problem no. 1 is gone as well !).

Jaap[/list]

biggus
03-09-2003, 09:21 PM
... put all your mp3's on the C.F and run applications from the SD card for example

CF is faster due to wider I/O bus. However, Loox is inherently slow already (Intel PXA250 anyone?) and running apps off of SD card might worsen your experience. I own a Loox, and I am not satisfied with it at all, so think twice before buying one. Details here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9835. But then again, your mileage may vary.