View Full Version : SDIO or SDIONow

ott13979
03-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Hello all....
This is my first post in this forum!! I'm in the market to purchase a PDA and am very confused on SDIO format... (I want SDIO format to run a wi-fi card that is going to be available in the near future) I'm leaning toward buying the Toshiba e330 but have been told by someone at SyChip that it is SDIO compliant but not SDIONow compliant and that it wouldn't work with the upcoming wi-fi card.... Can someone tell me the difference?

Thanks
Eric

marlof
03-06-2003, 05:10 PM
See the Socket SDIO FAQ (http://www.socketcom.com/faq/result.asp?u_search=SDIO) for some answers. In short, SDIO Now software in addition to SDIO hardware gives the card manufacturers the advantage of not having to develop core SD drivers, the OEMs the advantage of not having to take into consideration all exsiting SDIO cards out there individually, and end users the advantage of not having to load and unload drivers for all different kinds of cards. Theoretically, SDIO Now might be added to existing Pocket PCs with SDIO hardware, as was done by HP for the 3900 series. If that will be done by others remains to be seen. On the Socket FAQ you can also see that their Bluetooth SDIO card only works on Pocket PCs that include the SDIO now software. If that will be so for future SDIO WiFi cards I don't know, but I'd think chances are high.