View Full Version : AOL - IMAP, Pocket PC 2002 Updates

Janak Parekh
03-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Here's are two interesting tidbits:<br /><li> An anonymous German source reports that AOL seems to have soft-launched IMAP and SMTP support. In Germany, at least, you can use <i>imap.de.aol.com</i> and <i>smtp.de.aol.com</i> to receive and send mail, respectively. You have to use your AOL screen name and password for both (i.e., SMTP authentication is enabled), but no SSL support is available. I did a little more digging and imap.de.aol.com resolves to the same machines as <i>imap.cs.com</i>. Same for smtp.de.aol.com -- <i>smtp.cs.com</i>. For the sharp-eyed amongst you, you'll notice that cs.com is the domain for CompuServe 2000/7.0, which is basically a slightly different branding of AOL. Give it a try and let us know how well it works!<br /><li> AOL, in their beta forum, reports that AIM 2.0 for PPC2002 is available for download, plus AOL 2.0 for PPC2002 will be available in "a few days". Who knows what that means, though; if you go to <a href="www.aim.com">www.aim.com</a>, AIM for CE still says PPC2002 is not supported, although it works perfectly for me.

Chris Spera
03-05-2003, 03:06 AM
hmmmmm....

I wonder if this means that I can get mail from my CS account via IMAP4?

what do you think Janak?

Janak Parekh
03-05-2003, 03:13 AM
I wonder if this means that I can get mail from my CS account via IMAP4?

what do you think Janak?
Your guess is as good as mine. There's only one way to find out. :D

(I don't know if AOL is still running the "classic" CompuServe service; if they were I wouldn't expect that to work.)

--janak

seanturner
03-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Aren't they currently at AIM 2.0 for the PocketPC? And their existing client does already work with PPC2002. I think they are just upgrading the documentation and calling it a new product...

Janak Parekh
03-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Aren't they currently at AIM 2.0 for the PocketPC? And their existing client does already work with PPC2002. I think they are just upgrading the documentation and calling it a new product...
My suspicions exactly. Gotta love marketing.

--janak

dacs29
03-05-2003, 04:24 AM
I use AIM for PPC2002 on a regular basis and when I just looked at the File/About, I see version 2.0. (Build 2.0.13) Weird...

David

seanturner
03-05-2003, 05:00 AM
Yes, not to mention the fact that this software used to be available for free on the AOL website, but now you have to pay for the exact same file. Lame. :evil:

ExtremeSIMS
03-05-2003, 07:01 AM
1. AOL does still run the Compuserve classic service
2. While you might be able to check your email via IMAP, do not depend on that service.
3. AIM 2 for Pocket PC 2000isnew code. some ppc2000 machines had probs with the old rev.
4. AOL for PPC2000 is coming RSN. I bugged that client development team quite often, so am pleased to see it coming.

Posting this via netfront so bear with me....

Steven Cedrone
03-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Yes, not to mention the fact that this software used to be available for free on the AOL website, but now you have to pay for the exact same file. Lame. :evil:

Try using this: http://ftp.newaol.com/aim-uk/wince/

The link above is for the AIM-UK client. I don't know how different it is from the US version (same size)...

Get it while you can...

Steve

seanturner
03-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Last modified 20th of August 2002.... I doubt this is going to be anything new. For that matter, I doubt that AOL is working on anything new other than a new scheme to scam people out of their money.

Steven Cedrone
03-05-2003, 07:19 AM
True...But it's the same file they are charging money for, and it's still a free download...

Steve

Pony99CA
03-05-2003, 08:12 AM
You're confusing AIM for the Pocket PC with AOL for the Pocket PC.

AIM for the Pocket PC (http://www.handango.com/aol/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?platformId=1&productId=43336&productType=2&siteId=506) is just that -- AOL Instant Messenger running on the Pocket PC. It used to be free, but unless you find a link like Steve C. did, they want to charge you now. It works fine on Pocket PC 2002.

AOL for the Pocket PC (http://handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=E2E8X3BBCBCCBBA87EF25CXDEX7B48E3&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=43334) allows getting AOL E-mail, IMing and working with your address book. AOL for the Pocket PC probably will only support people with AOL screen names, not AIM users. It has supposedly had problems with Pocket PC 2002.

Steve

xendula
03-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks Janak. Just tried the imap/smtp and it works just fine! What I think is weird is that there is NO mentionening of that on their German website (aol.de)!! Wonder who that anonymous source may be :?:

Since German users also have .com email addresses ([email protected]), American AOL users can probably even use the same settings for Outlook.

nickl
03-05-2003, 04:05 PM
it was my understanding that aol 2.0 was incompatible with pocket pc 2002. are you saying it is?

Pony99CA
03-05-2003, 04:24 PM
it was my understanding that aol 2.0 was incompatible with pocket pc 2002. are you saying it is?
Is who saying that? My understanding is that the current version doesn't work on Pocket PC 2002, but that the beta they'll start sometime (soon, I hope) will work.

Steve

ExtremeSIMS
03-05-2003, 04:47 PM
It never fails to amaze me how people will spin a story in their own heads, come up with the wrong conclusion, and present it as fact.

The story mentioned the AIM client was under KW:Beta for AOL subscribers. This is new code. It's not yet available outside of KW:Beta. There were reports of issues with Pocket PC 2000 devices, but in general, the old client works.

AOL for Pocket PC 2000 is not out in beta yet (I'll check in a few minutes - been too busy to check lately). It did cause problems with Pocket PC 2000 devices. In my case, I had to hard reset my Toshiba e740.