View Full Version : Speaker not working on 3955 after using headphone jack

dave
03-04-2003, 03:25 PM
just got an iPAQ 3955 and loaded all my apps on it. everything was all good until this morning when i plugged my patch cord into the headphone jack to listen to some MP3s on the way to work. that worked fine, but after i got to work, the speaker on the device is no longer working.

when i plug in some headphones, those work, but once i remove them... nothing. is there something i need to do to turn the speaker back on? i checked all the settings that looked relevant and all appears to be in good order. a soft reset didn't cure it either. before i knee-jerk and do a hard reset i figured i would see if anyone could help me out.

thanks,
dave

blazingwolf
03-04-2003, 03:34 PM
Have you tried a soft reset? I have had this problem lately also, although mine does not seem connected to the headphone jack. Mine usually comes back on after a couple of soft resets. Hope this helps.

dave
03-04-2003, 04:19 PM
i had already tried a soft reset, but just to confirm i did ten consecutive soft resets to no avail. anyone else got any ideas b4 i panic and hard reset?

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Try pushing the jack in and out a "bunch" of times...

This used to be an issue with older Ipaqs, you can try to do a search for it (unfortunately, if the above trick does not work, you may have to send it in for repair. If you are out of warrenty, you can try to open it up and fix it.)...

From the HP forums (http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x0a9dafe90f1cd71190050090279cd0f9,00.html):

The problem is probably the Speaker Cut off Switch in the HeadPhone Jack.

If inserting and removing the headphones a couple of times doenst correct the problem then the unit will probably have to be serviced again to have the Speaker Cut off switch fixed. If you do not have a Carepaq Extended warranty on the unit, you will have to pay for the repair.

Steve