View Full Version : The Jornada That Was Never Sold Got eBay'd

marlof
03-04-2003, 05:00 PM
<a href="http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72549">http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72549</a><br /><br />The linked Brighthand thread is an excellent read for a HP Jornada aficionado like me. Right before the merger with Compaq HP was working on their own Xscale device to follow up the 560 series. This 570 series was made, but never made it to the market as after the merger HP dropped the Jornada Pocket PC line (with the exception of the 928 in limited markets), even when the 570 series was about to be launched.<br /><br />The thread starts with a heads up that a Jornada 575 is up for auction on eBay. phenderson reads it, corresponds with the owner, and decides to go for it. He wins the auction, and a few days ago he received the unit. After some initial quirks (including finding a way to charge this unit), he is all set up to post a review. That should appear one of these days, so keep your eyes on that thread.

Paragon
03-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Totally not fair.....I would have topped anyone's bid. ....even Marlof! :)

Dave

Will T Smith
03-04-2003, 06:54 PM
The whole thing comes off like the "Alien Autopsy" thing on Fox quite a few years back.

Some guy buys an authentic artifact from some "mole". The source is a promo guy from Best Buy. Reportedly, they shipped thousands to Best Buy before they were recalled. Supposedly, most were "destroyed" rather than discounted.

As were all aware Best Buy is famous for low paid under-educated staff. They are also famous for dissappearing CPUs, poor service, and products that magically switch boxes leaving consumers with junk.

I would speculate that if thousands of Jornada 575s were just "waiting" to be shipped BACK to HP for destruction that more than a few would have escaped their demise. Assuming that Best Buy didn't have some preferred shipping status, many other vendors (CompUSA, Fry's, Amazon, Circuit City) also would have had similar boxes "waiting for destruction".

Haha, none of them ended up as relics and it took this long for some hot handed souvenir collector to hock his wares on eBay :-) Until the supposed "buyer" shows something proof positive, I would presume this to be a scam.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2003, 06:57 PM
It's funny, I remember being furious about this device being discontinued, because I was a hard-core 565 Jornada user, but in hind-sight with the XScale being such a flawed CPU, this device isn't quite as appealing as it once was. :?

hulksmash
03-04-2003, 07:06 PM
It's funny, I remember being furious about this device being discontinued, because I was a hard-core 565 Jornada user, but in hind-sight with the XScale being such a flawed CPU, this device isn't quite as appealing as it once was. :?

I still want one! The form-factor is much nicer and the inductrial design is more appealing for business use. My 568 still gets more complements than my 3955, unless I have my Navman GPS attached to the 3955 that is. The 568 is still in pretty high demand, I am about to sell mine on ebay, and I will get more than that 575 sold for, I wish I saw it, I would've bought it for $400. :rock on dude!:

palmsolo
03-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I loved my Jornada 568 and think phenderson may have gotten a pretty good deal on this baby for $350USD. I wasn't willing to take the risk and bid on this auction, but the more we hear from him the more it looks like he may have bought a piece of Pocket PC history for a reasonable price. Hopefully, they also solved the dust issue on this model since there will be no warranty or replacement.

Paragon
03-04-2003, 08:29 PM

Me too....I was extremely disappointed to see this device pulled. I did a lot of nosing around and reported a lot of info on this device at the time. I might have even gotten lucky and got spme of it right. But as Jason has alluded to with the Xscale mess up, I have a gut feeling this device would have been a real disappointment........still HP could use a bit more of that form factor........FLIP LID!!!!

Dave

Jonathan1
03-04-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm still amazed that no company has had the foresight to design holes on the sides of their Pocket PC to accept a flip cover. Its such a simple thing yet always overlooked.

I'm wondering if the new iPaq 2200 series will be more in line with the form factor and design of the Jornada. :?:

FredMurphy
03-04-2003, 11:47 PM
This certainly is an interesting piece of PPC history, but as Jason says, if the only material difference from a 568 is a "lower" spec processor I probably wouldn't have bought one.

Still miss my recently demised 568 :cry: . CF and flip lids rule.

jornadaholic
03-05-2003, 12:20 AM
i always wondered what happened to the 575s i mean werent they within a few months of release before the merger and immediate discontinuing of the jornada line theres gotta be a bunch of these in storage at some hp factory or sumthin

phenderson
03-05-2003, 12:31 AM
The CPU is not the only difference folks.
We so readily forget about the ATI GPU...

Hopefully Steve will have the review up either this evening or sometime in the morning.

PResines
03-05-2003, 06:50 AM
I wonder why noone has commented on this:

The guy that sold the 575 Jornada said that the 570's line motherboard was sold to another company, and that they were being sold.

It even went further and said that one should look for a new Pocket PC with roughly the same form factor, even with a coin backup battery.

Does anyone has a guess as to which pocket pc he is refering? It should have the 2D graphic accelerator I suposse.

Paragon
03-05-2003, 02:32 PM
I wonder why noone has commented on this:

The guy that sold the 575 Jornada said that the 570's line motherboard was sold to another company, and that they were being sold.

It even went further and said that one should look for a new Pocket PC with roughly the same form factor, even with a coin backup battery.

Does anyone has a guess as to which pocket pc he is refering? It should have the 2D graphic accelerator I suposse.

I have seen the device you mention on the web somewhere. When I saw it I wondered if it might be left over bits from the 575. I will try to find a link to it.....it may take me a while.

Dave

Paragon
03-07-2003, 08:33 PM
For any of you guys that want to know more about the HP575, phenderson that bought the device gave me some pictures and info which I posted here (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29064).

Dave