View Full Version : O2 XDA Unlock Code

gareth
03-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone in the UK know where I can get the unlock code for my o2 XDA without having to try some dodgy software which makes no guarantees that it will work and may damage the phone?

Cheers

Gareth

JvanEkris
03-04-2003, 01:28 PM
O2 perhaps ??

In holland you can buy it during your contractual term for 160 euro's, and afterwards it is for free :)

Jaap

xendula
03-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I don't know if this helps, but in Germany, if you have a CONTRACT phone, it does not have a SIM lock. Only if you bought your phone with a prepaid card, it does. In that case, you can "buy" if "free" for 99 Euros, by calling their hotline and telling them your IMEI-number (number of the device). They then send you an SMS with the unlock code.

Maybe it works the same way in the UK?

mpattman
03-04-2003, 03:28 PM
I didn't think that 02 and Vodafone locked their phones in the UK.

gareth
03-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Yup, phone is locked, and O2 won't give out the code until the contract term is up, and then they want £15 for it! :evil:

There must be a reliable way to hack it.

JvanEkris
03-05-2003, 09:48 AM
You are aware that is a violation of your contractual terms with O2 (i.e. it is illegal) ??

Jaap

gareth
03-05-2003, 12:20 PM
I didn't sign any contract with the phone, I actually won it in a competition!

So I didn't agree to any terms 8)

Steven Cedrone
03-05-2003, 05:41 PM
I think you need to deal with O2 on this. If you won the phone and didn't pay for it, why not just buy out the contract and pay the £15...

Any further talk of "hacking" or "cracking" the phone, will result in this thread being locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

rdef
03-06-2003, 03:30 AM
All you need is the ***URL Removed*** and a serial cable.

Edited by moderator. 3/6/03 10:42 est.

JvanEkris
03-06-2003, 09:46 AM
These manipulations are illegal, i have reported this to the moderator.

Jaap

gareth
03-06-2003, 09:47 AM
I think you need to deal with O2 on this. If you won the phone and didn't pay for it, why not just buy out the contract and pay the £15...

Any further talk of "hacking" or "cracking" the phone, will result in this thread being locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Let me clarify what it is that I want to achieve here:

1: I don't want to break the law

2: I also won a year's contract with the phone, so that will remain in place. Therefore, the subsidy that O2 provide for connected phones is recovered in their rental charges which are being paid for by the company which ran the competition.

3: I intend to run the contract until it expires on another phone, but I have a Vodafone SIM that I want to use with the XDA.

4: O2 have said that, even though I intend to let the contract run, they will not give me the unlock code until the 12 months has expired. They used some excuse about the code invalidating the warranty, but it's only a sequence of numbers that you tap in, so how can this be?

5: As with all UK phones which are sold with a contract, providing I do not default on the line rental, I own the equipment outright. Therefore, anything that I want to do with it should be my choice, as should the way in which I use it. Running over it with my car would also invalidate the warranty, but O2 haven't said that I can't do that! :wink:

6: All I want to achieve is to be able to use my phone in a way that suits me.

JvanEkris
03-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Problem is, in the fine print of a normal agreement it would say that the phone is exclusively intenden for use on the O2 network during the contract :(

Any hacking on your part violates something O2 owns: either it is the copyrights on the ROM, or it is the right to unlock it with the code. Therefor, running it over with your car would be OK to them (you're not going to use it on another network), and tempering with codes and ROMs by your own isn't. That is still exclusive property of O2. People have been convicted for this in the Netherlands (Euro 5000,-, and 2 years probation).

Jaap

gareth
03-06-2003, 10:24 AM
I see what you mean.

I didn't consider that angle, as none of the other O2 phones that I have now or have owned in the past were locked.

But then, this is the only one I have ever had which was badged by O2.

Makes me feel like cancelling my other contracts and switching to Vodafone!

(and I have been such a loyal customer - been with them for 8 years)

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2003, 04:51 PM
All you need is the ***URL Removed*** and a serial cable.

Edited by moderator. 3/6/03 10:42 est.

Thanks... :roll:

Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator