View Full Version : using mp3 player as hard drive for iPAQ?

nosmohtac
03-04-2003, 07:28 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried to find a way to connect an iPAQ to a portable mp3 player?
I am curious what I what need to use a Creative Nomad 20GB mp3 player as a hard drive for my pocket pc, since it has USB?
I don't own a Nomad yet but thought that this would be a rather inexpensive way to carry movies for the pocket pc and any other larger media files, compared to a toshiba 5GB PCMCIA hard drive for example.

PetiteFlower
03-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Is there something special about this particular player? I thought you couldn't store any kind of file on an MP3 player except for MP3s....

mscdex
03-04-2003, 07:56 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried to find a way to connect an iPAQ to a portable mp3 player?
I am curious what I what need to use a Creative Nomad 20GB mp3 player as a hard drive for my pocket pc, since it has USB?

The only way you could remotely do this for any PocketPC is to buy the (seemingly expensive) CF Host card and use it. PPCT posted some info about this card recently, do a search. The alternative is buy a PocketPC with a USB host, e.g. Toshiba e740, Casio E-200.

Now once you have either of the two, you'll have to find the website (the name/url slips my mind at the moment) that has beta drivers to let you connect such storage devices to your PocketPC.

nosmohtac
03-04-2003, 07:56 AM
No, nothing special about this particular player except maybe the price.
I have seen them as low as $249(maybe even cheaper now, I haven't looked for a few months since I plopped down the money for my 3970).
AFAIK yes, you can store any type of media on an mp3 player. That is why I thought this would be a good player to use as a hard drive since most of the smaller mp3 players use cf or sd for added memory.

nosmohtac
03-04-2003, 08:01 AM

The only way you could remotely do this for any PocketPC is to buy the (seemingly expensive) CF Host card and use it. PPCT posted some info about this card recently, do a search. The alternative is buy a PocketPC with a USB host, e.g. Toshiba e740, Casio E-200.

Now once you have either of the two, you'll have to find the website (the name/url slips my mind at the moment) that has beta drivers to let you connect such storage devices to your PocketPC.

I was afraid of that.
Which make me wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper to wait for a larger bluetooth hard drive to come out and then wait for it to drop in price. I'm not in any hurry for such a set up, just thinkin and lookin. :)

ctmagnus
03-04-2003, 08:46 AM
You should be forewarned that Creative's NJB3 does not function as a mass-storage device unless the appropriate drivers from Creative (and possibly a firmware update for the player in the case of non-Wintel boxes) have been released for the device you are connecting the player to.

It's possible someone has written software like this for Linux, but Creative tends to be rather anal about creating software for new OSs, as well as to support new (read: non-mp3, wma or wav) formats.

However, the Muvo is reported to function without drivers, but it's limited to 128MB right now.

Archos (http://www.archos.com/) has several mass-storage/media player products that do not require drivers.

nosmohtac
03-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for that tidbit.