View Full Version : Wireless Activesync=Guest?

bdegroodt
03-04-2003, 03:05 AM
A couple of months ago, USB AS stopped working (More accurately, it caused my Outlook session to crash with regularity) so I bought a Silver Slider and a WiFi card and started using AS wirelessly without many issues. Worked nicely until today.

I installed GPRS monitor (Not saying it's the reason, but it's the only thing that changed on my device since last sync.) and now every time I sync wirelessly, I get the "Guest" entry instead of the correct partnership.

Tried deleting partnership. Removed GPRS Monitor. Still get Guest. Best part is, USB sync initiates the correct partnership. Tried wireless after a USB sync, still not correct.

Any suggestions?

bdegroodt
03-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Adding to this post, I decided to do a Backup/Hard Reset/Restore. It took an hour to back up via USB and it's now taken over 60 minutes to restore and the progress bar is less than 1/3 full.

Horrible Microsoft! Just horrible! This isn't enterprise software by a long shot! I'm on the final check out screen for my new Treo...If it's not done by the time I'm ready to go to work, I'm pressing the submit button and this baby goes to Ebay!

Janak Parekh
03-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Adding to this post, I decided to do a Backup/Hard Reset/Restore. It took an hour to back up via USB and it's now taken over 60 minutes to restore and the progress bar is less than 1/3 full.

Horrible Microsoft! Just horrible!
Sorry to hear you did the ActiveSync backup. It's not very good. Backing up to a removable card is much, much, much, much faster. Did I mention much?

--janak

bdegroodt
03-04-2003, 04:49 PM

Horrible Microsoft! Just horrible!
Sorry to hear you did the ActiveSync backup. It's not very good. Backing up to a removable card is much, much, much, much faster. Did I mention much?

--janak

Thanks Janak! It only took 1.5 hours to restore- Not bad :evil: Even more frustrating is the fact that after all that time and resets etc, I still have the Guest issue!

X-roads- Treo or 5455- Why wash socks when you can just buy new ones

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2003, 05:08 PM

Or backing up using ActiveSync over LAN. Also, much faster (for me, a 1+ hour "cradle" backup takes a little less than 10 minutes)!!!

Steve

Janak Parekh
03-04-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks Janak! It only took 1.5 hours to restore- Not bad :evil: Even more frustrating is the fact that after all that time and resets etc, I still have the Guest issue!
I'd assume as much. You backed up the problem. :cry:

X-roads- Treo or 5455- Why was socks when you can just buy new ones
:D Why not get "both" and evaluate them? :lol:

--janak

bdegroodt
03-08-2003, 02:45 AM
I'd assume as much. You backed up the problem. :cry:

I should have known that, if I would have stopped to think for a second...On a similar note though, the craziest things are happening post restore. Now when I check my POP accounts via GPRS, the incoming emails end up in the ActiveSync section of Inbox. A few other oddities have surfaced since the restore, but none as annoying as those. I guess I'll have to delete the accounts, cross my fingers and recreate them.

On a more serious note, I'm really hell bent on finding out where the directive comes to ActiveSync to receive me as a Guest. Is anyone familiar with the file that controls this and is it "hackable" so that I can get the right information in there? A recap- USB sync is ok, WiFi sync logs me in as a guest. Which is about as useless as tits on a bull (As my grandfather was fond of saying.).

Why not get "both" and evaluate them? :lol:

I'm leaning on the 5455 since the sound issue has been addressed. Holding out for 60 days until the rumor mill gets more definitive about when the new OS may come and what it may include.

Janak Parekh
03-08-2003, 04:34 AM
On a more serious note, I'm really hell bent on finding out where the directive comes to ActiveSync to receive me as a Guest. Is anyone familiar with the file that controls this and is it "hackable" so that I can get the right information in there?
I'd guess it's a registry thing, personally. Good luck, and let me know if you find the answer.

I'm leaning on the 5455 since the sound issue has been addressed. Holding out for 60 days until the rumor mill gets more definitive about when the new OS may come and what it may include.
Ah, this is a good point. Aren't you tired of waiting, though? ;)

--janak

mpattman
03-11-2003, 05:44 PM
On a more serious note, I'm really hell bent on finding out where the directive comes to ActiveSync to receive me as a Guest. Is anyone familiar with the file that controls this and is it "hackable" so that I can get the right information in there?

When this happend to mine I did this:

Using a registry editor on my Pocket PC I navigated to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

changed the key :

PCur to 0

then deleted the following Keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\P1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\P2

Then when I reconnected to my PC using active sync I was prompted to create a partnership.

bostonnerd
03-11-2003, 05:58 PM
[/quote]On a more serious note, I'm really hell bent on finding out where the directive comes to ActiveSync to receive me as a Guest. Is anyone familiar with the file that controls this and is it "hackable" so that I can get the right information in there? A recap- USB sync is ok, WiFi sync logs me in as a guest. Which is about as useless as tits on a bull (As my grandfather was fond of saying.).[/quote]

FWIW, I started getting the "Guest" problem a few days ago after I installed Dashboard. I could recreate the problem at will by enabling/disabling Dashboard. I could also recreate it by enabling/disabling Magic Button, SideX, and/or various Today plugins. This problem looks like some sort of resource shortage issue on the PocketPC (Heap??) which is detected by Activesync when it initially connects. Pure conjecture, but my guess would be that Activesync immediately checks for required resources needed to seccessfully sync, and if these resources are not found it flips to Guest mode (which would require much fewer system resources). By reducing various resident processes, you are reducing whatever resource is required by AS.

bdegroodt
03-11-2003, 06:05 PM

When this happend to mine I did this:

Using a registry editor on my Pocket PC I navigated to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners

changed the key :

PCur to 0

then deleted the following Keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\P1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\P2

Then when I reconnected to my PC using active sync I was prompted to create a partnership.

Gold star for you mpattman!!! Couldn't find the P1/P2 files on the local macine's regedit, but just changing the PCur to 0 go me back to being able to sync wirelessly and via USB!

Thanks!

If it was my place to do so, I'd place this one in a hall of fame of troubleshooting. :D

bdegroodt
03-11-2003, 06:08 PM
FWIW, I started getting the "Guest" problem a few days ago after I installed Dashboard. I could recreate the problem at will by enabling/disabling Dashboard. I could also recreate it by enabling/disabling Magic Button, SideX, and/or various Today plugins. This problem looks like some sort of resource shortage issue on the PocketPC (Heap??) which is detected by Activesync when it initially connects. Pure conjecture, but my guess would be that Activesync immediately checks for required resources needed to seccessfully sync, and if these resources are not found it flips to Guest mode (which would require much fewer system resources). By reducing various resident processes, you are reducing whatever resource is required by AS.

That's an interesting theory. I didn't have this issue until I installed the SPB GPRS toolkit and all hell broke loose. First time in all honesty that I've had a major problem with AS (Other than the no sync via USB without crashing Outlook).

Whatever did it, did a number on it though. All better now though.