View Full Version : CompactFlash Memory Cards Crack 4 Gigabytes

Jason Dunn
03-04-2003, 01:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com./2100-1041-990837.html?tag=fd_top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com./2100-1041-9908...html?tag=fd_top</a><br /><br /></div>"Lexar Media said Monday that it will soon release two new CompactFlash cards that far exceed the memory capacity of other digital cards on the market, while rival SanDisk unveiled a line of CompactFlash and SD cards that transfer data at a higher rate of speed. The new cards, unveiled at the Photo Marketing Association convention in Las Vegas taking place this week, are aimed at professionals and avid hobbyists in digital photography. With capacities of 2GB and 4GB, the Lexar cards will let photographers take reams of pictures before downloading. Other companies are currently selling 1GB cards, while most cameras come with a 32MB card."<br /><br />The higher the capacities go, the more expensive the cards get, but that also means that "low end" cards in the 512 MB and 1 GB range will get even cheaper. Who would have thought that we'd be talking about 1 GB cards as being "mid-range storage size". Amazing!

jet8810
03-04-2003, 02:07 AM
Whoa! This is great! I wonder how much these new cards will cost though...

van_mierlo
03-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Whoa! This is great! I wonder how much these new cards will cost though...

With this offering, Lexar Media now offers a line of Professional Series CompactFlash in 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB and 4GB capacities. The 2GB will be Type I and expected to retail in March for $699.99. The 4GB card will be Type II and is expected to ship in the 2nd quarter for $1,499.99.

THis is your answer

st63z
03-04-2003, 02:38 AM
I'm a bit confused about the SanDisk thing. DPReview has 2 press releases about the new SanDisk Extreme, and also new additions to the SanDisk Ultra line. Both articles seem to announce the same product though...

Anyways, if I'm not mistaken, aren't all the current "5x-speed" hi-speed SD cards supposedly, like 10mbps, in which case the new SanDisk SD is like twice faster still?

Jonathon Watkins
03-04-2003, 03:02 AM
Bring em on - bring em on. So that's why Sandisk have been having lots of cheep deals recently - clearing out the old stock. Oh well &lt;shrug> my 1Gb SanDisk CF arriveed today and at at $150 I'm not complaining!

Brad Adrian
03-04-2003, 04:01 AM
You know it was NOT that long ago that I bought my first memory expansion card for a Psion Series 3. If I recall, it was a 512kb card and it cost me over a hundred bucks. When I finally got a Series 5 and a 15MB card, I couldn't BELIEVE how much storage space I had.

Moore's Law lives!

disconnected
03-04-2003, 04:16 AM
Now if someone would just come out with a SIMPLE app to copy DVD movies to PPC format....I don't mean the many step/many app processes that I've seen so far, but a simple interface that would calculate space/screen-size/frame-rate tradeoffs, give you a few choices, and get on with it.

rubberdemon
03-04-2003, 04:36 AM
This is totally without me doing any research at all, but I know that Windows Movie Maker 2 has a built in profile to allow you to create media for the pocket pc. If you could just rip a DVD to AVI format, Movie Maker 2 might be able to do the rest - just two steps. I could be wrong on this...

Kirk Stephens
03-04-2003, 05:39 AM
All I can say is wow 8O

Times sure are changing fast...and I love it! .... but this puts my microdrive to shame :cry:

Jonathan1
03-04-2003, 05:41 AM
Holy memory capacity Batman! 8O
Woo hoo whip a little memory stick butt!

Does anyone know the limit that the CF format CAN go to? How far can this format be pushed?

Janak Parekh
03-04-2003, 05:53 AM
The 2GB will be Type I and expected to retail in March for $699.99. The 4GB card will be Type II and is expected to ship in the 2nd quarter for $1,499.99.
Wow, that's amazingly cheap. $699 for 2GB? As a initial release price? I have to say, if IBM/Hitachi don't release their rumored 5/6GB Microdrive soon, they're in trouble...

--janak

dean_shan
03-04-2003, 06:32 AM
I hope this brings down the price of the 1GB cards. I realy want to get one.

Curiosity
03-04-2003, 06:42 AM
It makes me wonder if larger sized flash mp3 players will be coming soon. Of course, if you have a PPC, you have more, but the battery life would kind of die out long before you play all your music. Imagine an Ipod sized MP3 (or other format) player at the size of some of the smaller MP3 players.

johncruise
03-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Ok... those people saying that CF is going to be discontinued... please stand up. :lol:

malcolmsharp
03-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Ok... those people saying that CF is going to be discontinued... please stand up. :lol:

I don't think it will be anytime soon, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, it will be the form factor that will be the most flexible. It will always have the lead there due to size alone.

Secondly, how small does it have to be? It's pretty small. The other formats are pretty small. I don't want to use them becuase I'm afraid I'll lose them! The only negative about this is the size of the device that needs to read it, but it isn't a huge difference and I think even that will get smaller.

szamot
03-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Well a 1 gig SD card is like 4 gig CF card if you are looking strictly at its size. Try it out if you don't believe me, not to mention weight....but I still want at least 2 gig CF. Humm STORAGE, need more storage.

felixdd
03-04-2003, 07:25 AM
This sucks. Everytime I make a purchase, the industry comes up with something new shortly thereafter.

I buy the Philips Nino -- then they announce the arrival of PPC.
I buy the NEC MobilePro 770 -- then NEC announces the 790 and HPC2000.
I buy the Jornada -- then they discontinue it.
I buy the Intermec 6651 -- then the NEXiO comes out.
I buy a 256 mb CF card -- then now they say they're coming out with 4 gb.

Either I'm cursed, or I have industry spies that target me as a "late adopter" and whenever I buy something it signals them to come out with something new :roll:.

At this rate I'm going to go broke with trying to keep on top of things!

ricksfiona
03-04-2003, 07:33 AM
I really don't want to go CF. I want to keep things to a minimum on my 3870. 1GB SD would be waaay cool.

vincentsiaw
03-04-2003, 07:48 AM
ohh if only they can squezee 4GB in an sd card, man that'll be awesome...

gadfly
03-04-2003, 07:56 AM
ohh if only they can squezee 4GB in an sd card, man that'll be awesome...
Now your talkin'.... or lower the prices on all SD to be more competeitve with CF!

Jonathan1
03-04-2003, 08:36 AM
This sucks. Everytime I make a purchase, the industry comes up with something new shortly thereafter.

Everyone welcome felixdd to the wonderful world of computers. :wink:

Just kidding. Seriously though. This is how it’s always been felixdd. Better get use to it. One thing thought that many people have a VERY hard time differentiating. The difference between bleeding edge, cutting edge and obsolete. A 1GB card is far from obsolete. A 512MB card is also far from obsolete. I still own a Jornada 568 and guess what? There is NOTHING that the iPaq 54xx series can do that my Jornada can’t in some fashion or another. Ya its got built in wireless, biometrics, a very nice screen, etc. It still runs the same programs, it still has a 16 bit screen, and it still has the same dust…oops. I guess there is something the Jornada has that the iPaq doesn’t ;) :lol:

My point being is that even older devices still run in the same pack as the current ones.

These cards are just adding more variety to the MB/GB mix. Next year we will see 10GB cards and the next 20GB and maybe in the not too distant future the holy 1TB SD card. :rock on dude!: . The beat continues. Is that a bad thing? Only if you NEED to stay on the cutting edge but in that case you had better have one heck of a large paycheck to play with because its a never ending battle in that case.

Pony99CA
03-04-2003, 09:02 AM

Either I'm cursed, or I have industry spies that target me as a "late adopter" and whenever I buy something it signals them to come out with something new :roll:.

The next time I plan to buy something, is it OK to Private Message you to see if you're going to buy it? If you are, I'll hold off for a week or two. :lol:

Steve

Fzara
03-04-2003, 01:41 PM
I think I am currently the only person on this entire site to be using an 8mb CF Card.

I can't even do a PIM backup! :evil:

szamot
03-04-2003, 02:33 PM

Next time when you decide to go and purchase something, wait 2 weeks then go and get, keep it for 2 weeks but do not open it. Take it back! This should put the industry spies in a tail spin, and you will be ahead one step. :D

johncruise
03-04-2003, 06:47 PM

I don't think it will be anytime soon, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, it will be the form factor that will be the most flexible. It will always have the lead there due to size alone.

Secondly, how small does it have to be? It's pretty small. The other formats are pretty small. I don't want to use them becuase I'm afraid I'll lose them! The only negative about this is the size of the device that needs to read it, but it isn't a huge difference and I think even that will get smaller.

My post was actually making fun of those people that were saying that CF will be obsolete. I stand by CF no matter what.