View Full Version : Desktop<->Laptop Sync Software?

Paul
03-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Mainly I'm interested in having access to the same information in Outlook on both my desktop and laptop and a few folders. Kinda like PC & PocketPC.

Are there any software that can help me do this?

TheDuk
03-03-2003, 03:45 AM
If you don't plan on making concurrent changes on both platforms (i.e., you want to sync desktop->laptop, then use your laptop, then sync laptop->desktop, then use desktop...there is built in support within Windows for that.

On Windows 2000/XP, you want to set your folder:

&lt;X>:\Documents and Settings\&lt;username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

to be part of your "briefcase". Look up "Briefcase" in Windows help for more information.

If you plan on using both your desktop and laptop concurrently, then you'd need additional 3rd party software support, but I don't have a recommendation.

Paul
03-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Can anyone suggest some 3rd party apps that can sync better?
I dunno if I really want to say this; but more like ActiveSync?

[update]
This would work except ActiveSync locks outlook.pst

Doh! Come on, where are all the road warriors?

jgahr
03-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Haven't used it for a long time, but used to use a software called LapLink between my desktop & laptop. Seem to remember it working reasonably well.

Paul
03-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Looks like a good app to try.

Paul
03-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Looks like LapLink is just remote access software. It requires an internet connection to use. I just want to sync MS Outlook info and be able to use it without an internet connection.

hollis_f
03-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Looks like LapLink is just remote access software. It requires an internet connection to use. I just want to sync MS Outlook info and be able to use it without an internet connection.Nope! I use Laplink with a parallel cable. It will also work with serial as well as any network connection. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with two tin cans on a bit of string.