View Full Version : PPC 2003 and VS.Net

JasonLJames
03-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Dear all,

I am just about to embark on a development project that will greatly benefit from a PDA solution. I am a regular developer of VB apps but I haven't done anything with vb.Net. I am considering upgrading from VB 6 to VB.Net. I do however have a few questions.

:?: Does the current released version of VS.Net support PPC 2002?
:?: Do I need VS.Net 2003 to write applications for my PPC and should I await its realease from Microsoft or start now with the relased version and then upgrade once it has been released?
:?: Do I need a PPC with PPC 2003 installed to work with the up and coming version of VS.Net?
:?: If I do need PPC 2003 are the operating systems upgradeable on all PPCs or should I wait until a new device with PPC 2003 comes along?
:?: Are there any other issues that I need to consider before going our and replacing my Palm for a PPC (probably with iPaq H5450)?

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

Regards,

Jason.

Janak Parekh
03-02-2003, 07:34 PM
:?: Does the current released version of VS.Net support PPC 2002?
:?: Do I need VS.Net 2003 to write applications for my PPC and should I await its realease from Microsoft or start now with the relased version and then upgrade once it has been released?
If you want to do .NET CF programming, you need VS .NET 2003, which does support PPC 2002. If you just want to do VB/C++ programming, you can get the eMbedded Visual Tools, which is a free download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F663BF48-31EE-4CBE-AAC5-0AFFD5FB27DD&displaylang=en).

:?: If I do need PPC 2003 are the operating systems upgradeable on all PPCs or should I wait until a new device with PPC 2003 comes along?
It's not yet clear whether or not PPC 2002 OEMs will be offering upgrades to the next PPC OS, whenever it comes out.

--janak

LKing
03-05-2003, 12:59 PM
I haven't developed a DB app in 10 years. But I need to for my PPC (no one has what I need). I downloaded evb & sql server CE, then I saw all this talk about .NET. Is there any article around that sums up the benefits of .NET for app development?

Thanks.

lanwarrior
03-10-2003, 03:32 PM
LKing,

Check out this link about .NET and PPC development:

http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_dotnet_compact_framework_switch_pg1.asp