View Full Version : Simplest Back Up Option for iPAQ?

Martin I Pettinger
03-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi

Would welcome thoughts from fellow iPAQers

At the moment I am trying out a trial of Pocket Backup by Sprite Software.

Question is should I just buy a 64mB MMC card and use the in-built back up program on my iPAQ 3850. Not really sure why I need all the sophistication of Sprite - other than it can automate back-ups.

If I buy the software I still need to invest in a 64mB storage card!

Am I missing other reasons for Pocket Backup?

Martin

Pony99CA
03-02-2003, 04:40 PM
At the moment I am trying out a trial of Pocket Backup by Sprite Software.

Question is should I just buy a 64mB MMC card and use the in-built back up program on my iPAQ 3850. Not really sure why I need all the sophistication of Sprite - other than it can automate back-ups.

I've heard that Sprite Backup is faster than the built-in iPAQ backup program, but doing an SD backup on a 3800 iPAQ will still be slow, I bet. When I used the iPAQ backup utility with my 128 MB SD card, it took forever on my 3870, probably due to the one-bit MMC-compatibility mode.

Steve

WyattEarp
03-02-2003, 04:58 PM
I understand your dilema. Pocket Backup not only allows unattended backups but you can choose what you want backed up. Like backing up your PIM info (calendar, contacts, tasks) only. Compress the size of the backup, encrypt it, etc. Its nice. But if you don't need all that then stick with the built-in backup program. I would suggest getting an SD card instead of the MMC card though. SD is much faster (2 or 4-bits; can't remember right now). Ultimately backup speed will depend of how much stuff is on your device. :D

Pony99CA
03-02-2003, 05:14 PM
I would suggest getting an SD card instead of the MMC card though. SD is much faster (2 or 4-bits; can't remember right now). Ultimately backup speed will depend of how much stuff is on your device. :D
SD is four-bit, but did you read my previous post? iPAQ 3800 Pocket PCs only support MMC-compatibility mode, so we're stuck with a one-bit transfer, even with SD cards. MMC cards will also have slightly more memory available because they don't have space taken for the "secure" crap.

That said, I'd also recommend SD over MMC. First, we will see the faster speeds if we upgrade our Pocket PCs. Second, SD seems to be available in larger sizes than MMC. MMC seems to be stagnant.

Steve