View Full Version : FatPort, Intel test wireless 'FatZones'

Jason Dunn
03-02-2003, 12:24 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030228.gtb4/GTStory' target='_blank'>http://www.globetechnology.com/serv...28.gtb4/GTStory</a><br /><br /></div>"FatPort, a Canadian provider of wireless high-speed Internet access, is working with Intel to market and verify FatPort's wireless access service in hotels, airports, coffee shops, entertainment complexes, and other public places. The program coincides with the upcoming March introduction of Intel Centrino mobile technology for notebook PCs that feature built-in wireless capability. FatPort and Intel are working together, through focused regional marketing and advertising, to let consumers know where they can connect wirelessly. These locations or "FatZones" provide Internet connections that are approximately 60 times faster than traditional dial-up connections."<br /><br />You know, I thought I put on a few extra pounds when I started using 802.11b, but I don't like thinking that my WiFi house is a FatZone. :wink:

jet8810
03-02-2003, 12:31 AM
I truly think that WiFi hotspots are the way of the future. Forget this whole GSM/GPRS thing, I think that if people install WiFi into restuarants, hotels, shopping centers, more starbucks, ect. at a reasonable price they can hit it big. I know plenty people that would pay $15-20 a month for this unlimited, assuming you could find coverage in many places. So much potential, but so far it has been unreaped...

Paragon
03-02-2003, 01:38 AM
I truly think that WiFi hotspots are the way of the future. Forget this whole GSM/GPRS thing, I think that if people install WiFi into restuarants, hotels, shopping centers, more starbucks, ect. at a reasonable price they can hit it big. I know plenty people that would pay $15-20 a month for this unlimited, assuming you could find coverage in many places. So much potential, but so far it has been unreaped...

What do I do when I'm going down the road? What do I do if I'm walking through a park or trail? What do I do if I'm outside of a populated area? What do I do if the building I'm in doesn't have WiFi service? What do I do if I keep loosing my connection while being handed off from one WiFi system to another? What do I do if Voip fails in the grander scale, and I have to go back to two devices, one for internet, and one for voice. Along with two providers........I know, I think I'll use a GSM or CDMA 1x service that is comparable in cost and blankets the area and eliminates most of those issues. :) I'm not trying to be rude. I just wanted to make my point. I think WiFi has it's place and it's popularity is growing leaps and bounds. I just don't see it being the only way to go.

Dave

jimski
03-02-2003, 06:18 AM
I think WiFi has it's place and it's popularity is growing leaps and bounds. I just don't see it being the only way to go.

Dave

I agree. Score another one for the two device scenario. Use the GSM/GPRS phone as a modem for the PocketPC where WiFi is not available and use WiFi where it is. Just pleaseeee HP, send me my spare batteries (waiting since December) so I can use my WiFi for more than an hour at a time.

Thinkingman
03-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Howdy:) well i feel that it is too expensive in some areas. The gprs sounds great but it is T-mobile that is giving service to the Starbucks and the prices are just unreasonable in my opinion. It seems to me they would understand they could get a lot more people using it if they would lower the cost. The economy is not at a point for such high prices. I am soon moving from HOuston to Maine and I am thinking about using the Starbucks hot spots for internet along the way, but they cost is crazy to me. They also have a prepaid which is costly but at least it is when I feel like and would actually need it.

yunez
03-02-2003, 06:24 PM
hehe im signed up for this, but i havent actually tried it yet. Most of their hotspots are downtown, i would appreciate if they had it in more public places like the mall or the library.

gadfly
03-03-2003, 12:12 AM
How having a WiFi vending machine? You could use the soda pop machine model so that even small businesses could contract the wireless company to install one at their location. When a potential client came in contact with a wireless zone the vending machine would give the client an internal IP address but only allow access to a site where credit card information was collected. The whole thing could then be set up as a regional subscription plan or just per usage on a single machine.

POP! Fizzzzzzzzzz. Broadband!