View Full Version : Anyone else besides me HIGHLY prefer landscape mode? Why don't apps display correctly?

spinedoc
02-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I am running Nydidot's landscape mode and think this should be the default view. It is sooo much more like a PC, you can see more text, and it actually is more comfy on the hands.

What I hate though is that most apps get cut off or you cant see all the options inthe options screen. Its a huge pain and really bums me out. If I could I would run landscape mode 24/7.

ozen
03-01-2003, 12:51 AM
yea i think that microsoft should include some sort of landscape mode in their next Pocket PC o.s. . I don't care if it takes up more memory because it is much more convenient. I definatly think pocket pc programs like word and exel could benifit. Also if you use terminal service client.

Janak Parekh
03-01-2003, 03:46 AM
Well, rumors are circulating about new Pocket PCs with landscape mode built in. Time will tell if this becomes more commonplace.

--janak

Reinaldo
03-01-2003, 04:01 AM
Well, rumors are circulating about new Pocket PCs with landscape mode built in. Time will tell if this becomes more commonplace.

--janak

You people know something we don't know. I will just have to accept that, until the thought that you have used the new PPC OS creeps in. But its all good. :lol:

Landscape. Last time I tried it, I swore I would never hack my PPC like that again. I made my jornada 548 landscape and if anyone remenbers the HP password aplet, it made my device unaccessible. I would like a nica and SAFE way for me to make my iPAQ landscape. Otherwise, I am not changing it. Besides, some apps go nuts when the screen is in Landscape. Some.

But landscape will have to be part of the new OS, in my opinion. All of the Windows CE 4.0 devices are mysteriously.....landscape. Yet Microsoft knows that some PPC apps work on potrait. So they have to make a sort of siwtchy thing to make it work. Its my logic. I might be (and it happens a lot) horribly wrong. So no public stonings when the OS comes out without the "landscape switchy thing". :lol:

Janak Parekh
03-01-2003, 04:13 AM
You people know something we don't know. I will just have to accept that, until the thought that you have used the new PPC OS creeps in. But its all good. :lol:
Hey, I don't know anything. I'm just an average joe too, not an MVP. I just listen to the rumors like all of you. :D

I agree to some extent with your point - by integrating it into the OS, you make it more stable and potentially more widely adopted. However, it's worth mentioning that NVD has gotten much more stable than the "old days". Still, I'm personally reluctant too - I rely on my PPC too much.

--janak

Pony99CA
03-01-2003, 07:30 AM
What I hate though is that most apps get cut off or you cant see all the options inthe options screen. Its a huge pain and really bums me out. If I could I would run landscape mode 24/7.
That's likely not NYDITOT's fault. Some applications are probably coded with a dependency on a 240x320 screen, so switching to a 320x240 screen throws them off.

Steve

ppcsurfr
03-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Pocket PCs... including Pocket PC 2002 devices have some of their programs hardcoded in a way tat it is only viewable in portrait mode. There is currently no way of changing this unless the OS is changed. Hopefully the next OS will have changed the hard coded parts to be more flexible and accep[t landscape mode.

It is not in anyway Nyditot's fault that the screens do not display correctly.

I too wish that this feature will be supported by Pocket PCs really soon.

ppcsurfr

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
03-01-2003, 09:22 AM
I do enjoy switching to the 4:3 aspect ratio of landscape mode when typing on my foldup keyboard and browsing webpages. Reading's just more natural for me, since I don't like changing rows so fast.

Although, I still like protrait mode when I only need to look at my device quickly. The device is easier to hold and keep safe in one hand when I have it in portrait. :3

spinedoc
03-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Yes yes I realize that cutting off the bottom of the screen in landscape mode is not Nydidot's fault. It is programmers who never thought people would run in landscape mode, lazy to a certain extent but probably more ignorant than anything else.

Landscape mode just seems so natural. It really feels like a "pocket" PC.

By the way Nydidot's landscape program runs very stable, I have had no problems whatsoever using the program. In theory it was worth the money, but with so many programs that get cut off it is almost unuseable. For now I will switch landscape on if I want to use textmaker or terminal services.