View Full Version : Sd Camcorders

jayman
02-28-2003, 09:44 PM
SD camcorders
There is a load of new SD camcorders that are cheap but still feature packed. Has anyone tried any of the following:

Panasonic AV-10
Panasonic AV-20
Trust 632 AV
Nisis DV2
Aiptek pocket DV2
Mustek DV2000
Spypen Aias

Most retail around the £100 mark and record 640x480 direct to SD. They all also take stills and have flip out viewfinders.

Have read various reviews of each, but am trying to find out if anyone has used one directly with an XDA. i.e. for editing viewing or uploading.

Let me know if you have seen any in action!

Thanks

Jayman

jayman
02-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Yeah I know I am answering my own question.

I know the quality is only good for the web.
That's fine for me - I work in film production and have access to every other format upto high def if I am filming something
imortant.

The reason I am looking to use it - is for recees, i/vs, sots, casting spins and headshots etc. Where hopefully - I can film a location. put the card into the xda edit a few shots together and email to producer/director etc. for instant feedback. Then jump on bike and burn it to the next location!

At the moment this process requires laptop + minidv camcorder + mobile phone. - This may look more professional - but this has never been an issue for me -the work speaks for itself.

P.S. Anyone thinking of buying a high end miniDV camcorder is advised to wait for a couple of months - WHY??? - because a prosumer high definition minidv camcorder has just been released on the orient!!! Here that Jason - nice start for www.digitalmediathoughts.com. What does this mean for the average JOE. Well Lucas shot SW1 on high def. It means your short films are going to look like films, rather than You've been Framed outtakes.

P.S. Jason - I may be able to chip in a bit for the new site. Let me know what you may need.

Jayman

Sheynk
03-01-2003, 12:55 AM
I played around with the Panasonix ones.....they are cool but they dont have the quality that you might need to make a presentation. Can you really email attachments that big off the XDA. Oh well thats kool

Hank Scorpio
03-01-2003, 01:28 AM
I bought the Panasonic SV-AV10 just for the tiny gadget factor, and it isn't too bad, I haven't had too much to film yet. I have tried just capturing some footage and then popping it into my XDA, and it'll just play in media player no problem, no sound though, even with the newer 8.5 player. The software you get with it is dumb and cumbersome. I just use movie maker 2, or TMPGenc, those are the only 2 that I can find to work, I tried the old virtualdub with asf support but no go. The digital pictures from it are pretty low, so I don't use that much. There's not much of a user base, I can't find any web pages dedicated to it, or anyone that can share tips and tricks. I started a Yahoo group for it, and I've gotten 0 members, but it's handy and so small, and I'm gonna keep it.

Hank Scorpio
03-05-2003, 07:01 AM
hey if anyone does have a SV-AV10 goto the following yahoo group page so that I can have someone else to talk to about the little thing...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ewear/

ipaqgeek
03-06-2003, 11:05 PM
There is a SDCam that is expected to be tons better than ony of those you mentioned. Check it:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pretec_03022003_dv4200_pr.html

I'll be buying one of the first units as soon as it is available.

They clain they will have higher resolution ones (up to 1024x768) within a year from now.

The extra huge bonus here with the above product: it can be configured with an A/V input to encode any A?V source (DVD, etc) into MPEG4 - which will either put it on the SD card for you, or put it on your desktop via USB. That's an incredibly easy way to view any DVD on your PDA (put the SD card into your PDA). The compression is excellent (5 hours TV quality 30fps on 1 Gbyte).