View Full Version : Thinking about Axim, need some questions answered

dannyl
02-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting an Axim, but I'm totally new to the PocketPC arena, so I was hoping to clarify some things before taking the plunge. I have had a Palm Vx, so bear with me...

I plan to get the Axim 400Mhz model with $69 Truemobile wireless card from Dell. I have an existing 802.11b network both at home and at work.

Here is a list of primary capabilities which I plan to use the Axim for, any comments/suggestions would be very helpful and appreciated:

1. Work with Microsoft office. I use Outlook, so I'm assuming that the integration/syncronization should be fairly good between desktop and PDA counterparts? I also need to do light editing of word and excel documents, which I believe are well covered by pocket word and excel.

2. Take light notes. Ie in company meetings as well as class. How's the hand writing recognition (accuracy and speed)?

3. Windows networks. How seemless is the wireless networking? Can I access other computers' shares easily? Can I copy files in and out of the Axim, as well as move files from one computer to another? Hows the wireless network bandwidth/throughput?

4. Somewhat related to #3. Multimedia; watch movies (mpgs, divx, avi), view pictures, and listen to mp3s. I know these are the advertised strengths of the PocketPC, but I plan to do all this by accessing a network share. Is that doable? Any comments on the FPS, picture quality, sound, video formats, etc?

5. Access web content (major requirement). I'm sure I can surf the web with Pocket IE. But again how good is it in practice? Do webpages display as expected? Is the screen to small to make this worthwhile?
Additionally, is there support for AOL instant messaging (another major requirement)?

6. Terminal services. I have a Windows 2000 server with terminal services which I would like to remote log in. I believe PocketPC comes with a terminal services client ready to do exactly that. Again, how feasible is this feature? Is the screen too small with work with?

7. Are there any VPN connectivity capabilities? If not, are there 3rd party software products available for that?

I know a laptop would better serve my needs, but I have reasons to stay away from them...

Very much appreciated and thanks in advance!
-Dan

luebster
02-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I'll only take what I can answer...

1. Work with Microsoft office. I use Outlook, so I'm assuming that the integration/syncronization should be fairly good between desktop and PDA counterparts? I also need to do light editing of word and excel documents, which I believe are well covered by pocket word and excel.
Yes, PPC2002 integrates with Outlook, Word, and Excel. Inbox (Outlook on the PPC) does NOT do HTML email. Other than that, it does what's expected....mostly. PocketExcel doesn't support VB or macros as far as I can tell.

2. Take light notes. Ie in company meetings as well as class. How's the hand writing recognition (accuracy and speed)?
The notes program that comes with PPC2002 is OK. It's just like writing on paper...it even looks like paper. There is an option to "Recognize" (interpret into text), but then you can't edit what it just "recognized." Kinda lame.

Accuracy and speed should not be used in the same sentence with the words "hand writing recognition." 8O There is a setting to adjust the recogintion to be more accurate or faster. I have mine set at the most accurate. It does a better job than I expected, but it is a little slow. (This doesn't really bother me...I'm not speed-writing on it!)

Related to this, it was about 5 days before I realized what the little arrow on the far left side of the menu bar does...I tend to write at an upward angle when I write. Make sure you point the arrow to be perpendicular to the direction of your writing. (The arrow should point north relative to your writing.) Did that make sense? :?

4. Somewhat related to #3. Multimedia; watch movies (mpgs, divx, avi), view pictures, and listen to mp3s. I know these are the advertised strengths of the PocketPC, but I plan to do all this by accessing a network share. Is that doable? Any comments on the FPS, picture quality, sound, video formats, etc?
I haven't tried video yet (shame on me :oops:). I play MP3s with WinamPAQ (FREE!!!) and it is very good. I have no complaints.

I hope this helps.

spursdude
02-28-2003, 01:28 AM
5. Access web content (major requirement). I'm sure I can surf the web with Pocket IE. But again how good is it in practice? Do webpages display as expected? Is the screen to small to make this worthwhile?
Additionally, is there support for AOL instant messaging (another major requirement)?

Pocket IE will display nearly all pages, BUT it is fairly slow, and often has trouble resizing pages. You will almost definitely want to get a third-party browser, which will cost you some money, but you'll appreciate it.

There is support for AOL Instant Messenger. They've recently started charging users to download it, but in fact there is still a free version of it floating around on a non-updated AOL site. Steven (moderator) will probably remember the link. I haven't used AOL IM on the PPC, but I'm sure it works fine.

luebster
02-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Try here: http://www.aol.co.uk/aim/wince/index.html

Brad Adrian
02-28-2003, 04:00 AM
I would only add a couple of comments to those already offered. First, all Pocket PCs interoperate with Office documents. You have to understand the limitations of the "roundtripping," though. If you send a Word document with lots of special formatting, like tables and images, to your device, some of that will be lost in the process. The reason is that the Pocket PC cannot support all of the functionality of the desktop Word and Excel programs. If all you're doing is text editing, though, you'll be fine.

syphix
02-28-2003, 04:52 AM
3. Windows networks. How seemless is the wireless networking? Can I access other computers' shares easily? Can I copy files in and out of the Axim, as well as move files from one computer to another? Hows the wireless network bandwidth/throughput?I have the exact model you're speaking of (with the wifi CF card). Accessing networks with the TrueMobile CompactFlash card on the Axim is EASY. I use it for both work and home, and switching between networks is simple: it handles multiple "profiles", for different places (maybe work has encryption, home doesn't...seperate SSID's, etc. etc.). Very nice.

Copying files on the network is NOT as easy. PocketPC fails to include a simple, yet elegant networking explorer. I HIGHLY recommend Resco Explorer 2003 (http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp). It's $20, but worth EVERY PENNY (zips & unzips, maps drives/folders, etc. etc.) Without it, copying files over the network is a chore (if even possible at all..).

Throughput is adequate, but a bit slower than my laptop...fast enough for browsing or streaming of mp3's, at least. I've played a few Divx movies over the network flawlessly, without a dropped frame (200-300kbps bitrate on the movies..larger files may glitch). I'm VERY pleased with file copies over wifi - the USB "ActiveSync" transferring takes FOREVER compared to it (still, for LARGE transfers, I recommend a media card reader. Coolest thing about wifi on the Axim? ActiveSync connects can be done without even using the USB cable/cradle! :) It's also less hassle this way (I frequently get quick disconnects when using the USB cord...).

Good luck! The Axim is GREAT!!

Oh...one more thing: get PocketMusic (http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusic.htm). Some don't like it, but I LOVE it! The interface is easy and familiar (looks just like WinAmp (http://www.winamp.com)), and the ability to load and play my WinAmp playlists off my PC (using Resco to map the drive), I've got my mp3's playing on my entertainment center in my living room (some 200+ ft from my PC). :) VERY cool!! PocketPC's uses are ENDLESS!!

luebster
02-28-2003, 02:30 PM
syphix,

Are you using your Axim as a go-between for your PC and your stereo? If so, how are you connecting the Axim to the stereo? How is the sound quality?

I've been contemplating adding a small (read: inexpensive) dedicated PC to my entertainment area to stream music (MP3 and OGG) from another PC to my stereo setup. If I can accomplish this with my Axim (with CD-like sound quality), it would seem to have much more flexibility.

syphix
02-28-2003, 02:35 PM
syphix,

Are you using your Axim as a go-between for your PC and your stereo? If so, how are you connecting the Axim to the stereo? How is the sound quality?I'm using my Axim as a "media player" for my stereo, so, I guess "yes": a 'go-between'.:) Sound quality is remarkable good...better than the MusicChoice channels on my digital cable (the compression on those is TERRIBLE!!), but don't use WindowsMediaPlayer - it skips on streams, and the sound quality is HORRIBLE. I use the aforementioned PocketMusic (http://www.pocketmind.com/pocketmusic.htm).

luebster
02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm using WinamPAQ, so Windows Media Butcher is not a problem :lol: . I guess my question is: How are you moving the audio from your Axim to your entertainment center?

syphix
02-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm using WinamPAQ, so Windows Media Butcher is not a problem :lol: . I guess my question is: How are you moving the audio from your Axim to your entertainment center?I simply use a 1/8" stereo plug to RCA "y-cord" in the (in my case) "tape in" RCA's on my stereo. Volume out of the Axim is key: too high and it'll distort - I tend to stay a bit quiet (50% or less), and let the stereo amplify it. You may have to use an equalizer on the PocketPC, but I use an equalizer in my entertainment center (has more bands, better response, etc.).

dannyl
02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
THANKS for all the replies. This really made my buying decisions much easier.

One more question: Do I need to reencode my divx and other avi movies (captures from digicam)? Someone told me I need to resize and reduce frames etc, and thats not something I want to do to my video collection.

Ie Can I do the following? Share my cdrom drive, put in a standard mpg1 VCD. And watch it from the axim? I'm fairly certain dvd's wont work...

Thanks again.
-Dan

luebster
02-28-2003, 03:06 PM
I simply use a 1/8" stereo plug to RCA "y-cord" in the (in my case) "tape in" RCA's on my stereo. Volume out of the Axim is key: too high and it'll distort - I tend to stay a bit quiet (50% or less), and let the stereo amplify it. You may have to use an equalizer on the PocketPC, but I use an equalizer in my entertainment center (has more bands, better response, etc.).
Duh... :oops: It must be the end of the week. My brain is not working.

Sounds like I'm going to have a little project this weekend!

Thanks.

syphix
02-28-2003, 03:12 PM
One more question: Do I need to reencode my divx and other avi movies (captures from digicam)? Someone told me I need to resize and reduce frames etc, and thats not something I want to do to my video collection.

Ie Can I do the following? Share my cdrom drive, put in a standard mpg1 VCD. And watch it from the axim? I'm fairly certain dvd's wont work..You're right: DVD's won't work (too much info for the Axim!!) Your problem is gonna be bitrate: too high of bitrate, and the Axim won't be able to stream it over the wi-fi and play it properly (it may simply take way too long for it to even BUFFER!). Reencoding the Divx, avi's & mpeg's to a smaller file allows you not only to store it on a memory card or on the built-in memory, but also allows for less dropped frames.

The resolution of it (being higher than 320x240, the Axims native resolution) will be important too: if it has to resize it to fit on the screen (which it probably will if it's coming off a VCD), it will using processing cycles to do this, and may not have enough gusto (it takes alot to resize video on the fly!) to do this without dropping frames/"stuttering".

Remember this: higher bitrate means more chance of dropped frames and "stuttering". Lower bitrate means better reliability and better size.

dannyl
02-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks syphix.

One more, with the resco explorer, can I open one shared directory from computer A, cut files, and past to another shared on computer B? Ie I normally have to do maintenance/backups etc for some servers at work, and would be nice to be able to do it WHILE in a meeting.

-Dan

syphix
02-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks syphix.

One more, with the resco explorer, can I open one shared directory from computer A, cut files, and past to another shared on computer B? Ie I normally have to do maintenance/backups etc for some servers at work, and would be nice to be able to do it WHILE in a meeting.I believe you can (at least, I don't see why you COULDN'T...I haven't tried it). I think it may be a slower transfer than if you were on the machine itself, since it goes THROUGH the Axim (ever so temporarily, I believe). It's almost always a bit slower to use computer "C" to copy and paste files on computers "A" & "B" on the network. Just the way it works.

dannyl
02-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks syphix! You've been the greatest help...

I think I'll hold off on the Axim. While it sounds like it meets my minimal requirements, its not as seemless as I would have hoped. Plus I keep reading that the PPC2002 isn't optimized for the Xscale processors. Lastly, it'll be even more exciting with the next versions of the Axims that come equipped with integrated wifi/bluetooth/grms/etc... Just hope the wait isnt too long. Maybe PPC2003 too.

Again, thanks for your comments. Greatly appreciated.
-Dan

Roosterman
03-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi dannyl
It sounds, from some of your comments, that you might be new to PPC's and thought you might find this link helpful. It is a pretty in depth paper on how to do things with PPC's

http://www.microsoft.com/pocketpc/downloads/dougintro.doc

hulksmash
03-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Sounds like you are a potential power user. I would recommend getting a iPaq 3955 as a startup. It is just as powerful as the Axim and has much more expandability. Since it is near "end of life" and will be discontinued soon, you will be able to get one significantly well under cost. Good luck.

syphix
03-04-2003, 04:16 AM
I would recommend getting a iPaq 3955 as a startup. It is just as powerful as the Axim and has much more expandability.Um...looking at the specs of the 3955, HOW does it have "much more expandability"? It doesn't even seem to have a CompactFlash slot...

That, and it only has 32mb ROM (the 400mhz Axim X5 has 48).

spursdude
03-04-2003, 04:34 AM
Um...looking at the specs of the 3955, HOW does it have "much more expandability"? It doesn't even seem to have a CompactFlash slot...

I would assume that hulksmash means expandibility in terms of the sleeves. The number of capabilities of the iPaq with a sleeve far outnumber the number of CF accessories. And anyways you could get a CF expansion sleeve for the iPaq.

But anyways, I'll stick to my good ol' CF slot...

syphix
03-04-2003, 05:25 AM
Explain "sleeve" to me (a PPC newbie)...

spursdude
03-04-2003, 06:06 AM
Explain "sleeve" to me (a PPC newbie)...

Basically, they're iPaq exclusive add-ons that slide onto the back of an iPaq. They can add a host of capabilities, like CF, PCMCIA, GPS, cameras, Memory Stick, and more. They add on to the bulk of the device, but they also make it more useful.

check some out here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/510064/ref=br_bx_c_2_0/002-2009217-3817606).