View Full Version : Rumors Of The iPaq 2200 Starting To Surface

Janak Parekh
02-27-2003, 05:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_HP_to_Release_iPAQ_2200' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/R...lease_iPAQ_2200</a><br /><br /></div>In the last couple days or so, there's been increased rumbling about a new iPaq that will surface this summer. While none of the specs, or the unit, have been confirmed, it might be one killer device if it plays out right.

paris
02-27-2003, 05:56 PM
not happy with the CF slot, Dual SDIO would be better. CF HAS TO DIE and give room to SD :D

bdegroodt
02-27-2003, 05:58 PM
I just wet myself! :D

The report also mentioned that HP plans to release at some point a model with an integrated keyboard. This slides down from the back and automatically changes the view to landscape mode.

bdeli
02-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Maybe this might be the device I will upgrade to! Still holding on to my iPAQ 3850.

ntractv
02-27-2003, 06:20 PM
This thing sounds sweet if it turns out to be true. I'm sporting a 3835 now and was thinking of moving over to the 5400 series, but, now I think I'll wait to see if it comes to be.

RickP in AZ
02-27-2003, 06:20 PM

So did I... Dang it! I swore that I would never buy another iPAQ! But dual slots solves my main beef... :x

Foo Fighter
02-27-2003, 06:25 PM

So did I...but I had my Axim in my pants pocket at the time. I think it's ruined! :lol:

Foo Fighter
02-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Reportedly, the base model will cost just below $400.

Wow! Sounds like one heck of a deal. 8O

EvilOne
02-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Sounds like something to replace my old 568 with! I can not wait to see how much of the article is true..

adsbar
02-27-2003, 07:04 PM
I've been waiting for exactly this! I currently use a Toshiba e570 with 256MB CF, and still haven't seen a model that is worth upgrading. To shell out another $400, I'd need:

.Net
128MB RAM
CF & SDIO (for my CF's)
802.11b
newest XScale (PXA255)
better battery (>1100mah) or replaceable
SIZE AND WEIGHT SMALLER THAN MY CURRENT e570

Since my e570 works just fine, I've been casting envious looks at e740s but not doing anything. If this isn't vaporware, I'm buying when it's released.
:D

Eitel
02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Guess I will post this again. :)

http://islabonita.org/ss/2200.jpg

Shaun Stuart
02-27-2003, 07:30 PM
I am in two minds as to what to do next. My 3870 is slightly damaged and will need replacing soon - I was waiting for the european version of the 1910 to be released (rumoured to have bluetooth) but now Im not sure.

It is suggested that the 2200 series will have a new pocket pc OS - what can we expect from the new OS and is it significantly different for me to wait for it ?

rubberdemon
02-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Ah, that's the killer question. Those who know about PPC2003 are under NDAs, and those who don't are speculating wildly. Unless there are actual leaks, like the HP leaks about hardware, we can only guess, though some inferences can be made from hardware specs that have filtered out.

For instance: it seems possible that it will natively support landscape and portrait resolution switching without a reboot though it probably won't support higher than the current resolution. Activesync should be updated, and hopefully more functional. Nobody knows, though many desire, if Pocket Word, Excel and IE will be improved. I'd be surprised if IE at least is not updated, though Word and Excel have survived the last OS upgrade unscathed, and it is anyone's guess if they will be improved.

I'm sure others can comment to follow up on this, but we'll just have to wait to be sure...

Birdman
02-27-2003, 08:00 PM
This may even be enough to hold me back from the PPCPE I was about to pick up off ebay!

Foo Fighter
02-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Well I don't have any inside info, mind you, so my opinion is as worthless as it ever is. But I find it HIGHLY unlikely that the upcoming OS will not be backwards compatible with the installed base of ARM/xScale hardware. Microsoft certainly isn't dumb enough to cut its own throat by pissing off the very user group that has carried Pocket PC this far.

Just my two shillings.

ux4484
02-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Reportedly, the base model will cost just below $400.

Wow! Sounds like one heck of a deal. 8O

sounds more like......not likely

entropy1980
02-27-2003, 08:10 PM
I agree Foo I think it will be backward compatible, as far as IE if CE 4.x is the core I believe it has IE 5.x eqivilant browser so we should se improvements there. As far as everything else goes MS has done alot to bring a lot of the features from the Pocket PC group to the Windows CE crew in general (ie handwriting and Office file support) so I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see them roll out better versions of all the forementioned apps, face it Palm is moving and MS knows it, and that if they don't keep the edge they tried to establish about being a more functional PDA (video, Mp3, office) then Pocket PC will die...

captgoodhope
02-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Any rumors about MS doing something with OneNote in the new os?

Foo Fighter
02-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Any rumors about MS doing something with OneNote in the new os?

Just my guess, but you can expect to see a viewer built-into the new PPC office suite, or perhaps even a scaled down version for PPC. A sort of OneNote Mobile Edition if you will.

EvilOne
02-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I agree Foo I think it will be backward compatible, as far as IE if CE 4.x is the core I believe it has IE 5.x eqivilant browser so we should se improvements there. As far as everything else goes MS has done alot to bring a lot of the features from the Pocket PC group to the Windows CE crew in general (ie handwriting and Office file support) so I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see them roll out better versions of all the forementioned apps, face it Palm is moving and MS knows it, and that if they don't keep the edge they tried to establish about being a more functional PDA (video, Mp3, office) then Pocket PC will die...

Actually, from what was said during yesterdays .Net CF talk from Microsoft (the online thing that was posted yesterday) they said that the PocketPC 2003 will be based on 4.2

Jonathon Watkins
02-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Have HP now actually GOT IT? (i.e. that most of us want CF slots?). 8O :D 8) That would be very cool.

(I'm still holding onto my Axim though -untill I can pass it on to my wife when something MUCH better comes along. :wink:)

Scott R
02-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Rather than speculate about the next version of the PPC OS here, why not do it here: ;)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9376

That's a thread I started earlier today (before this news item hit the front page).

Scott

Jonathan1
02-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Guess I will post this again. :)

http://islabonita.org/ss/2200.jpg

Does anyone else interpret this as bad news for people who are looking for thin devices like the 1910 series? Does this mean HP is moving away from the thin Pocket PC's and going back to possibly HP Jornada sized devices?

I just can't see a device remaining thin when you add SD and CF into one device.

I want a thin Pocket PC dang it! :(

Ed Hansberry
02-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Does anyone else interpret this as bad news for people who are looking for thin devices like the 1910 series? Does this mean HP is moving away from the thin Pocket PC's and going back to possibly HP Jornada sized devices?

I just can't see a device remaining thin when you add SD and CF into one device.

I want a thin Pocket PC dang it! :(
I think there is room for both the 1910 and 2200, but look for the 1910 to go to $250. To stay at $299, it would have to include more ROM, bluetooth or SDIO, or some combo.

The 2200 sound like the device that will pry the 3900 out of my fingers and make me buy whatever external keyboard (full sized) is necessary to fit any connector change and discard my sleeve collection.

jizmo
02-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Personally I think that HP is going to release a refurbished 1910 with more ram, new XScale and real SDIO. I can't see why the company would first break into budget models from high-end models and then do a completely new model in 6 months and thus make a completely new price and feature level.

My guess is that they are quite content with having high-end and low-end models.

/jizmo

carphead
02-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Maybe HP are going to a low - mid - high range model...

19xx - Low end - Low Features but good for the consumer (palm) market who really only want a organizer with extra features (PALM). Not overly expandable

2xxx - Mid Range - For the Power Consumer - Expandable (dual slots), good features.

5xxx - High end - Corp Customers - Plenty of features built in so the Tech Dept don't have to worry about different hardware. Plenty of security. One size fits all.

One of the reason I say this is the BioMetric on the 5xxx seems a odd choice but I think it's a killer in the corprate market. In a corp you don't want the hassle of your users adding wireless cards etc when all you want is to reduce support costs. Spending $700 on a PDA isn't much when you know that it's got everything you need to provide and all your users have the same device.

vincentsiaw
02-27-2003, 10:26 PM
anything posted in this thread here, I'm happy with it, I just hope one thing:

Hopefully this new product doesn't ship with a bucket full of bug like the 5450.

possmann
02-27-2003, 10:47 PM
While my hopes are up again I’m not going to hold my breath as these guys have been late on their releases so many times and when they do release… well….
I should add though that the last couple – 5400 and 1900 haven’t been that bad from what I have seen on the boards.
Personally, I was looking for the LOOX as it contained everything I wanted – that was until they pulled the GSM/GPRS pack out of the picture and went the route of a CF GSM/GPRS card…:really mad:
What I am personally hoping for is something like the 5400 series – with a CF slot and instead of WiFi or BlueTooth have it be a GSM/GPRS device. Kinda what the LOOX was suppose to have been.
I’m still hanging on to my original 3600 series (upgraded to 2002 OS) and it is serving me well – all except for the fact that I never have enough memory – hate using the sleeve, its getting a bit slow with some of the applications I load today (use more speed) and the graphic display, well I’m “wanting” for more. :?
The LOOX is suppose to hit the US in Q2 (read June-ish) I would venture to bet that IF a new iPaq would come out it won’t be until the Sep timeframe.
My twei pfennigs…

Timothy Rapson
02-28-2003, 12:07 AM
Maybe HP are going to a low - mid - high range model...

This is what it looks like to me, too.

Looks like Toshiba E750, Dell Axim X7, and HP 2200 will be peas in a pod. Good peas, for $300-400. They'll all to have nice transflective screens, new OS, and new processors?

I wonder if HP can sell three full lines of PDAs alongside Dell's three lines, Toshiba's three, Sony's three, and Palm's three. Interesting how that is working out. It's more convoluted if you count in PDA/phones.

Landscape would be great if they got to 480 or 640 pixels. The 480 is enough to display most documents in full width as they would show on a printed page in 80 columns. I suppose not many others would see that as so desirable. I gotta wonder what landscape is good for, though, if it doesn't have more resolution.

I wonder if the 2200 will be deliberately made incompatible with the older Ipaq sleeves and peripherals as the 1900 was? The ability to use older Ipaq stuff might be a big plus for the 2200. I still don't understand why HP did not make the 1900 sleeve compatible. All it might have taken was a plastic inner adaptor and keeping the connectors on the bottom the same.....oh, yeah, and leaving out a scrool wheel.....well, forget it. We'll just have another whole set of proprietary connectors.

March is going to be a really big month this year.

felixdd
02-28-2003, 01:11 AM
The report also mentioned that HP plans to release at some point a model with an integrated keyboard. This slides down from the back and automatically changes the view to landscape mode.

Guys...remember the leak of a "top secret" video clip of an HP PPC with a keyboard that was allegedly presented at some convention? The one file that was hosted by some german (or italian) PPC site -- with the file being an *.exe and turned out to be a shockwave movie, and featured a demo of the thing in action. Super sweet!

Maybe this is the 2200 that HP's talking about.
Anyone still have that file? I know I do. If anyone wants to see what this unit potentially looks like please give me a pm. Or if it's not too dangerous (don't want HP pissed at us do we?) maybe I can send it to some admin who can upload it for everyone to download or something.

Jonathon Watkins
02-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Or, you could go here :wink: :
TOP SECRET PPC (http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/cms3/templates/PPC-NEWS.ASP?articleid=65&zoneid=1)

Eitel
02-28-2003, 02:08 AM
The iPAQ 2200 is the one in the picture that i posted. I got that directly from my HP rep a couple of months ago. In one of the slides of the presentation that we got, there was a GPRS add-on, just like it was reported by the guy that saw it.