View Full Version : Case for an HP5450 with a Nexian NexiPak Installed

CAPreppy
02-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Hey all,

A newbie here. I'm actually purchasing my first PDA in years (I've been using my Palm III for a while). I'm looking at the HP5450. I will also be purchasing a CF2031 (Sprint CF Modem) for use with the Sprint Network (I wish I could get out of it, but I'm committed for another 11 months)

I am looking for get the NexiPak for a couple of reasons:
- 2 CF Slots (One for the modem and the other for a SanDisk CF Storage Card)
- Extra Battery Life

My problem is I can't seem to find a good case for something that big. I asked Nexian Support and they suggested the Compaq iPAQ Expandable Case. Frankly that thing is about as ugly as you can get. I'd like to get something more elegant and functional. I'd love to get a Vaja Case, but their case won't work with the NexiPak (it's too big for it).

Any suggestions?

Tom

axe
02-28-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm afraid I don't know of any cases for you, though I found mine at a small luggage shop, but not before looking for 6-8 months for the right case. I wasn't a big fan of the CPQ or the Veja cases.
I ended up with one that opens like a book with the left side covering the front of the Ipaq. It also has slots on the inside on the left panel for credit cards etc. I actually have a CF to PCCard adapter waiting for use in one of the slots.
The velcro is starting to wear out where the strap comes over the top of the unit to keep the PDA in the case so I'm not sure whether to recommend it. The book-flap does have a metal button on it, as well as velcro to keep it closed. It has a leather-enclosed metal belt clip though, rather than the weak plastic ones you see on phones and some Palm cases. There is no name-branding on it though, so I can't tell you who makes it, other than I found it in a tourist-trap store on Orlando's International Drive for $25 USD when I was there on vacation last year.

I did have a question about the Nexian Expansion pack... Do the CF cards slide in flush with the expansion chassis? The CPQ single CF expansion pack I have has the CF cards sticking out just a bit. I figured the CF slot on the right would have problems in a case unless they slid in flush with the body because they would get caught.

Good luck in your quest, and thanx in advance for your help!
AXE

CAPreppy
02-28-2003, 07:04 PM
As far as I know, they are flush for storage cards. Lan Cards/BT Cards/GPS Cards all stick out of the top. As for the Nexian, I've given up on it for now. I haven't been able to locate a case for it and I've done a little more research on Expansion Packs. I'm actually looking at getting a DSS3. It doesn't have a spare battery, but I'll probably just get a couple of spares for long periods when I'm away from a charger.

I've spoken with GM regarding his products and I'm pretty impressed with his products plus there seem to be A LOT of other people impressed with his products and that's a better gauge of quality than anything else.

The link below is the review by Half-Ling on the DSS3
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8242

Tom

carlab
02-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi, I have a Ipaq 3850 with a Nexipak. I am using a Galanteya case called the H5 leather case I bought off of Ebay for $17. It fits very well and is very well made for such a cheap price. You can check them out at either the Ebay site (it took less than a week to get here) or go to galanteya.com. Hope this helps.
:)