View Full Version : Sound issues: bad axim, or are they all this way?

dictatorfagan
02-26-2003, 08:58 PM
My Axim seems to have some issues with sound. It went unnoticed until I plugged in headphones. At first, I thought the headphones were bad, but after buying a new pair and trying those, the problem persists. In fact, upon closer observation, even with no headphones, the built in speaker also has these problems. Here are the symptoms:

-Popping noise every time there has been no sound playing, but then one is played. Example, opening the start menu from the today screen. It makes a 'pop' type feeling, mostly noticable in the right earphone when using headphones.
-Strange and high pitched frequencies being played during certain applications that utilize sound. Example: Hexacto Tennis Addict. As soon as the game loads, you can hear a very high frequency tone being played. This is very annoying. It is not noticable unless you are wearing headphones or place the speaker right up next to your ear.

Music and movies play fine, because they are always playing sound, and the sound that they play overrides the high frequency sounds, and since the sound is constant, there are no "sound starting up" popping effects.

Is this normal? Did I get a bad Axim? Should I replace it? It only bothers me when I am using headphones and doing stuff like playing games (frequency sound issue) or just using other applications where there are occasional sounds (popping issue). What do you guys think?

shawnc
02-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Definitely NOT normal, at least mine does not exhibit the symptoms you describe. You've got a bad one.

PetiteFlower
02-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Agreed. The Axim speaker is kinda crappy, but there's no problems like you described, and it sounds pretty darn good over headphones :) Call tech support and complain.

dictatorfagan
02-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Did you guys thoroughly check? I didn't think mine had a problem either, until I used earbud headphones (the kind that go in your ear). The speaker and my other headphones (the kind that just rest on top of your ear) still show these problems, but I never would have noticed if I hadn't heard it from the other headphones first (and now I hear it because I am listening for it). Tell me what you guys think. Thanks for the replies!

PapaSmurfDan
02-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Here is what I think that inital pop is. It sounds like the Axim sound amp is waking up from a sleep mode. It sounds like the 0 level between the on and off states are not perfect. It doesn't bug me, its akin to my speakers giving a bit of a pop when powered on. I have noticed that if I am using the touchscreen I get a high pitched whine. It doesn't bug me either. I will bet you don't have a bad Axim and it just that the electrical system can be noisy and the amp picks it up. My Axim still has better sound quality than my MP3 CD player even with the touchscreen issue.

-Dan

Janak Parekh
02-27-2003, 12:01 AM
Here is what I think that inital pop is. It sounds like the Axim sound amp is waking up from a sleep mode.
Ah, just like the old iPaqs. :D Yes, that's very likely, although I've never heard the Axim.

I have noticed that if I am using the touchscreen I get a high pitched whine.
Sounds like backlight whine. Did you try it with the backlight off (e.g., in the sun)?

dictatorfagan, you might be correct in saying the earbuds pick this up, as they need very little power to generate sound. Standard headphones need more, and at very low volumes you'll tend to pick up amp & related noises. How far up the volume scale are you using your device? Unfortunately, I don't have a Dell, so I can't confirm, but in theory you could use an inline volume control to reduce the sensitivity of your earbuds as a workaround.

--janak

dictatorfagan
02-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Ah you bring up good points. I am hearing this at only the very first volume level, so you may be right about the earbud thing. Let me see what I can experiment with. thanks for the help!

Sslixtis
02-27-2003, 07:28 AM
Well, I use Sony earbuds and have none of these symptoms, however, I must admit that I have Rev A03 and have none of the D-pad problems either ;)

I will have to shut down and restart Windows Media Player on occasion because it sounds like crap but I believe that one is software related since it goes away with a restart of the player.

HTH, Cheers!

goirish!!
02-27-2003, 12:27 PM
I listen to MP3 on mine almost everyday at the gym with no issues, but when using the record it is unbearable. There is so much static that it is not worth using. I have tried numerous record settings but nothing changes. I think that I have read others having this same issue as well. I don't use the record as a rule so I haven't worried over it so much, but should I be inclined to begin I think this one will have to go back for exchange.

luebster
02-27-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm going to have to agree that this is not normal.

I received my Axim last week and I have NO problems with the audio. I haven't tried the recording, so dunno about that. But ZERO issues with sound using Start Menu, Tennis Addict, WinamPAQ, etc...

Maybe this is a issue that has been resolved with the most recently built Axims.

goirish!!
02-27-2003, 02:50 PM
I'm going to have to agree that this is not normal.

I received my Axim last week and I have NO problems with the audio. I haven't tried the recording, so dunno about that. But ZERO issues with sound using Start Menu, Tennis Addict, WinamPAQ, etc...

Maybe this is a issue that has been resolved with the most recently built Axims.

Try the record button and let me know how it works for you. Mine is full of pops, and static.
Again, I have seen more than one person saying this is a problem with theirs as well. Just wondering. I may break down and send it in, but I don't want to wait for ever to get replacement.

Hey, if I send this back doesn't Dell cross ship replacements so you are not down? I got mine 12/29 so I'm still under the 90 days as well.

shawnc
02-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Did you guys thoroughly check? I didn't think mine had a problem either, until I used earbud.

Yeah, I use both. The earbuds when on the bus or walking through town and the headphones while at the gym. Because of the relative quiet of my busride, I think I would have noticed what you describe. I still think you got a bad one.

targetdrone
02-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Your problem doesn't 'sound' normal to me. Mine seems fine. I even plugged in a nice set of Sony headphones. The sound is perfect. No hiss, whine or static. Send it back.

silencery
02-28-2003, 04:23 AM
I constantly use mine on amplified speakers (i.e. Klipsch ProMedia, in my car, etc), and YES I have had this problem. In fact, my AXIM exhibits the same exact behavior which you've described.

It certainly is quite annoying, but it's something I've decided I'm going to put up with since it seems like quite an undertaking to ship an AXIM back to dell and get a replacement; more trouble than it's worth so to speak.

Interestingly, I tried both the e740 and ipaq 1910, and both of these other units had MUCH better sound quality than my Axim.

If you do have any solutions however, I would be interested in knowing.

Thanks!

EclipseX5
05-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Anybody notice when you play movies on windows media player on the ppc, a digital sounding interference on the sound? On music and anything else the speaker sounds great. It sounds really bad when streaming video from Windows media mobile.... :?