View Full Version : Need Software To Find Memory Leak

MLO
02-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Okay, this is driving me nuts.

I have Icbar installed and the battery/memory gauge on the task bar enabled. Some app on my e335 is leaking, slowly. The memory indicator goes down gradually throughout the day, until I have to soft reset the device in order to regain memory.

I thought it was ActiveSync, but even after killing it off under "running programs" I still have to do a soft reset.

Are there any programs for the Pocket PC OS that will list processes running and the amount of memory they are consuming? Hack Master (unregistered version) will display a list of processes running on the device, but it won't give the amount of memory each is using.

Help!

MLO

Steven Cedrone
02-26-2003, 07:54 PM
How many plug-ins, etc., do you have running? Why not just disable them one at a time to find the culprit???

Steve

MLO
02-26-2003, 08:22 PM
How many plug-ins, etc., do you have running? Why not just disable them one at a time to find the culprit???

Steve

But see, that would make sense.

I have Icbar, Rhino Launcher and Pocket Plus (just for repeating alarms) running. I'll disable them one at a time, but does anyone know of any known memory issues with any of them?

MLO

GSibble
02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
I had that problem with my IPaq 5450. Some program would eat up a tremendous amount of memory and no matter what i tried, I couldn't find it. I use pockethack, which lets u see processes running, but won't let you see their memory usage.

So, I gave up and hard reset. I have the same software installed, but no memory leak anymore. So if you can, just take an hour to hard reset (make sure to backup beforehand), reinstall your software and it'll probably run fine. My guess is that its a leak in the OS itself in any case.

-George

MLO
02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Actually, I found it. It was Icbar...either in combination with Pocket Plus or on its own. Once I exited Icbar and configured the Pocket Plus "X" button, usage stayed at a consistent level.

Unfortunately, I like the little memory/battery indicator in Icbar. Are there any programs that will do just that?

MLO

PetiteFlower
02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Well you can use Pocket Plus to get battery and memory gauges on the today screen, not right in the taskbar though.

MLO
02-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Well you can use Pocket Plus to get battery and memory gauges on the today screen, not right in the taskbar though.

Yeah, I don't like much clutter on my today screen. I was looking for something that would sit in the taskbar, like Icbar.

MLO

spursdude
02-28-2003, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately, I like the little memory/battery indicator in Icbar. Are there any programs that will do just that?

Gigabar (http://www.gigabar.com/) will do that.

MLO
02-28-2003, 01:31 AM

Gigabar (http://www.gigabar.com/) will do that.

Will it work on Pocket PC 2002? Looks like it was made for older OS's...

MLO

spursdude
02-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Will it work on Pocket PC 2002? Looks like it was made for older OS's...

It definitely works.

WallyS
03-03-2003, 07:55 AM

I have Icbar installed and the battery/memory gauge on the task bar enabled. Some app on my e335 is leaking, slowly. The memory indicator goes down gradually throughout the day, until I have to soft reset the device in order to regain memory.

I thought it was ActiveSync, but even after killing it off under "running programs" I still have to do a soft reset.

Are there any programs for the Pocket PC OS that will list processes running and the amount of memory they are consuming? Hack Master (unregistered version) will display a list of processes running on the device, but it won't give the amount of memory each is using.

Help!

MLO

Are you running Journal Bar by chance? There have been lots of people reporting that it will eat all your memory after several hours?

MLO
03-03-2003, 03:55 PM

Help!

MLO

Are you running Journal Bar by chance? There have been lots of people reporting that it will eat all your memory after several hours?

No.

Actually, in the previous page I mentioned that I had found the culprit...Icbar. Running Pocket Plus without it solved the problem. ONly problem with that is that I really liked the small memory/battery indicator in the task bar.

MLO

rix
03-05-2003, 05:18 PM
re: the batt/mem info...

PocketSyswatch will give you this info, just at the other end of your screen!

http://www.uglybass.com/birdsoft/syswatch.htm

Rich

Ictinus
04-01-2003, 04:42 AM
Hello MLO,
I'd like to know which version of Icbar you were running when you had this memory leak.

Thanks,
Ictinus
Icbar.ictinus.com (http://icbar.ictinus.com)

MLO
04-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Hello MLO,
I'd like to know which version of Icbar you were running when you had this memory leak.

Thanks,
Ictinus
Icbar.ictinus.com (http://icbar.ictinus.com)

I'm not sure, as I've uninstalled it...but I believe it was the latest version.

MLO

mjnh
04-03-2003, 06:10 AM
There is a tool called TOOLBOX from http://www.entrek.com/
It is mainly for developers, but one with a bit of computer skills can use it to find interesting things about running programs.

I was playing with it with applications in my Pocket PC. Surprisingly many applications (even from popular companies) have been found to have memory leak problem (not much though, usually several bytes).

They offer 30 day trial so you can try it out.