View Full Version : Universal Adapter for Adpaters??

jayexel
02-26-2003, 10:32 AM
I don't know about everyone, but I have accumulated a lot of adapters lately. You know the ones that take 110v and converts it to like 5.5 or so for all your PDA’s and such. You figure hey I’ll buy this item, just because it saves, but a few of these space savers, each with their own individual adapter can take up a lot of space. I have the power adapter for my PDA, the power adapter for my LCD monitors, USB Hard drives, and a few other gadgets I have attained. I was wondering if anyone knows a company that makes a multi-outlet ones where I can just plug them all into one thing without having to deal with the little power bricks all over the place.

KDF9511
02-26-2003, 11:16 PM
Get a 12v bench power supply and build a voltage devider network with indiuval outputs for each of the items that you are using. I have one that I built on my radio bench with taps from 1.5vdc to 13.8vdc. I have consided building one for my computer station from a 24v power supply so that I can tap off 15vdc for my laptop. Just make sure that you get a power supply that handles enough ampreage for the number of devices you want to run.

jayexel
02-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Hey can you elaborate more on this...i'm not real sure how to do what your talking about. Is there any type of website I can look at. I would really like to connect all my PDAs, Monitors, External Hard drives all on one power strip...with none of those little power bricks the company includes.

KDF9511
02-28-2003, 04:15 PM
What I am talking about is using a power supply like this one from Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F001%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D506). You can probaly find one cheeper on ebay. Then you build a couple of simple voltage divider circuits like this (http://www.clarkson.edu/~svoboda/eta/designLab/VoltageDividerDesign.html) and run them off of the main output buss of the power supply. If you are trying to run something like a notebook that requires 15vdc like mine you might want to try and find a 48vdc power supply. It might even be possible to use one out of an old computer. These already have 5 vdc and 12 vdc outputs on them. I may look in to this. Just make sure that your power supply can the amprage you need. To figure this out just add up the ouput amprage on the small transformers that you have now and add at least 10% for surges and you should be fine.