View Full Version : what about this USB 1.1

vincentsiaw
02-25-2003, 07:15 PM
as the title, i'm looking for usb 1.1 host capability, found this thing: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/firewireshop/newusb11hosa.html

any comment guys before i pre order this thing?

Sven Johannsen
02-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Just one comment.

Who is writing the drivers for the Pocket PC to talk to the 'USB devices such as Keypads, Flash Memory reader/writers, Bar code scanners or USB Flash Memory sticks'?

Those that exist today, either connect directly via a CF interface, or are serial devices. You can connect a USB thumb drive, and other peripherals, to a W2K or XP or even ME machine today because the OS comes with the drivers. Not so on the PPC.

I'd wait and see what is really supported, rather than what could potentially be supported. You could e-mail the OEM and see what they have to say about what peripherals have been tested :)

KuroNeko
02-25-2003, 08:45 PM
The article is pretty clear: they support mass storage devices (MO, Zip, Flash...) and HID devices.

For these you can use standard drivers, i.e. the company only has to write 2 drivers.

Almost all Mass Storage devices are following the mass storage class, so they can run on any W2K/XP system w/o having to provide drivers. So compatibility will be high. The same goes for most HID devices, these also are HID class compliant, using standard driver from W2K/XP. I wouldn't worry about this.

Don't expect this thing to have the official logo though - they use a female A connector to hook the device to, which is not allowed. So how thorough they tested it is not clear (the USB Logo warrants at least minimal electrical quality and functionality)

It looks interesting though. Pity you need a sleeve for Ipaq, an SD version would be nice :wink:

Neko