View Full Version : Audio Gateway profile support

bucho
02-25-2003, 04:44 AM
Does anybody know if the h5455 will eventualy support this Bluetooth profile? I've seen the discussions where the Headset profile can be enabled with a registry change, so is it fair to expect that this too will be part of future iPAQ bluetooth software? Is it already there, but disabled maybe?

... and a follow up question. If we ever get the ability to use an h5455 as a headset, do you think it would be possible to establish a connection to a T68i phone with both profiles running, serial and headset, to the same device in the same time?

Pony99CA
02-25-2003, 10:18 AM
... and a follow up question. If we ever get the ability to use an h5455 as a headset <...>
Sorry, but I have this picture of somebody with an iPAQ held to their ear with a headband now. :-D

I think the headset profile will allow you to use your iPAQ with a headset. :-)

Steve

bucho
02-25-2003, 02:54 PM
I don't think the h54XX is that much bigger then any of the PPC Phone edition devices... and the mic and speaker are positioned properly. After all, wouldn't that be a common use for the device once the GPRS h54XX edition comes out?

Well, there is a follow up question on the follow up question :) Can the h5455 be connected to multiple different BT devices in the same time i.e connect serial and audio gateway to the T68i and headset to the Jabra all in the same time? If the hardware can do this, it probably would be just matter of time for the software (like RVGSM) to allow this type of setup.... or maybe I'm just asking for too much.

bucho
02-25-2003, 07:41 PM
I decided to try this out using my laptop, since I just updated the drivers for my TDK PC card and it now supports both, Headset and Voice gateway, profiles.

1. Can the T68i connect with multiple profiles in the same time to the same device?
- Yes. Well, at least for serial and headset. I made a persistent connection to the T68i with the Mobile Agent app via serial and was able to connect to the headset profile without any problem (the laptop was acting as a headset).

2. Can you use the above connection *and* use a BT headset connected to the laptop?
- No. Not sure why, but when the laptop is connected to the T68i as a headset it will not allow for a "real" headset to connect to it. It works fine when not connected to the phone.

Anyway, the question is if the h5455 can do what the TDK card did in 1). It shows as "Voice gateway" when I browse the T68i services with the laptop, but not with the h5455.

waanz
03-03-2003, 02:32 PM
the 5450 ipaq DOES support the connection to a bluetooth headset. I have paired my motorola headset and succesfully used both th Mic and the speaker of it.... Not much use though except maybe to record audio notes. If, as the SIM card reader makes me hope, that 5450/5455 gets updated to a phone edition one day, then it will make sense.

bucho
03-03-2003, 08:54 PM
the 5450 ipaq DOES support the connection to a bluetooth headset. I have paired my motorola headset and succesfully used both th Mic and the speaker of it.... Not much use though except maybe to record audio notes. If, as the SIM card reader makes me hope, that 5450/5455 gets updated to a phone edition one day, then it will make sense.

Right... I know that. I paired it with my Jabra.... and there are some good uses for it, for example I listen to the CNET mp3 radio shows with it. But, that's not what I was asking... I want to do the reverse - use the h5455 "as a headset" for my T68i. Considering that RVGSM supports almost all the functionality that the cell phone offers except for the ability to talk, adding this profile to the h5455 would mean that it can completely take over the T68i including voice. It's just not there, but considering it's a very simple profile I think HP should include it as a software update in the future.

waanz
03-04-2003, 03:52 AM
ok, then the profile you need is audio headset, not audio gateway.

I agree with you and I myself am using RVGSM 2.5.2, it would be a nice feature if I could leave the phone in my pocket and just the 5450/5455 as the interface to it.

What I do is that I use a "cord" earpiece and the t68i in my pocket... Quite neat.

Don't you think however that RVGSM is a very heavy piece of software that takes lots of resources and time to load.

/waanz

PS: I am a big SMS user and do believe that so far SimpleSMS is the best SMS application for offline SMS where RVGSM is good for "always on" kind of connection. I am still looking for a pocket inbox addon to add a SMS service in the default mail application (exactly like PPC phone edition does it). If anybody knows about such a software, I am very interested.

The other way would be to develop it myself, the transport dll that would sync sms but I like a bit of experience in C to do it.... Anyway if you try to create a service called "SMS" in the pocket inbox on the 5450/5455, the OS will return a message to say that such a service is already installed, would there be there again a hint that the new ipaq is actually meant to run phone edition???

Cheers
waanz