View Full Version : It's here! It's here!! (Sort of...)

Saaby
02-25-2003, 04:43 AM
I'm getting an Axim from school. They were supposed to ship Wednesday. I walked into the Tech Room after school and there were a bunch of brown boxes stacked over by the teacher's desk. I needed him to sign a form so I can skip his class Wednesday but he was helping someone else so I carefully peel back some of the blue wrapping (Shrink wrapping long since un-shrunk) and read the "From"

Something like "Dell Marketing"

Axim!!!

So he signs my form and tells me that this means I won't get my Pocket PC Wednesday :evil: oh well I may miss his class but I think I'll go visit him after school. Anyhew I hung around as he opened one up. What a waste of packing materials I might say here. I assume all Axims come packed similary? This one came in a rectangular box, which contained 2 smaller boxes. The smaller of the 2 smaller boxes had the PPC, case, battery, etc. The other--larger box had the Synch cable (If you were a school buying 45 PPCs would you spring for the "Advanced" model? Didn't think so. I'll buy my own cradle) and another small cable (Not sure what--not power) and that was it. IN this huge box.

ANYWAY so I watched as he peeled off the screen protector, installed the battery ("You have to charge it for 4 hours--in theroy" I say. I've been reading PPC thoughts for a good month now) and fired the first one up. Oh joy of joys! "Dell" logo pops up and he shows me.

Who's been calling these things bricks?? I didn't get to fondle the fine device but it sure didn't look that large (About the size of a Jornada anyway, and they're plenty small).

Screen is simply breathtaking and, as it was brand spankin new, SMOOTH and CLEAN!

So I can't wait until Wednesday when I get to inherit this fine device which will bring me closer to portable computing bliss.

Next step towards portable computing bliss? A couple of G2 screen protectors of course!

vancouver4
02-25-2003, 05:04 AM
sounds like you are going to enjoy your axim, mine hasn't even been shipped yet oh well. life goes on :roll:

swimmer
02-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Saaby, what high school do you go to!? My high school would never do anything like that. I had to buy my own ipaq :roll: . Oh well. Did you guys have to pay for it or did the school take care of that?

PetiteFlower
02-25-2003, 07:43 PM
No kidding, must be a great school :) Of course Dell also gives big educational discounts(friend of mine works for a college and gets to take advantage of that).

Anyway the power cable actually comes in 2 parts that you have to connect together and yes, they do TOTALLY waste packaging by doing it that way. But in the second box you had the sync cable and the 2nd part of the power cable.

I didn't call mine a brick until I saw a 1910 in person. Actually I preferr to call it a "beast" instead of a brick :) But I'm still glad I got it over something smaller and more expensive :)

Saaby
02-25-2003, 11:20 PM
I go to Cyprus high school in Magna, Utah. I'm in a program called the School of Technology. Read a little about it here (http://home.attbi.com/~saaby/sws.htm).

Anyway I set up my English teachers today which made me want mine even more! Also made me want my screen protectors even more 8O it was a pain setting up active synch (I know better now) and the @$$ that helped me decited that we absolutely HAD to instal Outlook 2000 (Even though XP was already installed) for it to work.

So now her active synch is trying to synch to Outlook 2000 instead of the XP she actualyl uses. I uninstalled Outlook 2000 but the problem presists. Oh well I'll try and fix it tomorrow--after I get mine :p

Does the travel cable charge and synch with one connection? I don't mind having to connect a power or synch cable but having to connect both is a PITA--no wonder Dell sells so many cradles :p

PetiteFlower
02-26-2003, 06:47 AM
For the cables that come with it, the power cable just charges and the sync cable just syncs. You need both. There are 3rd party cables that are supposed to charge and sync at the same time but I don't know how well they work, haven't heard things which made me terribly confident about them.

The cradles require two cables as well, it doesn't use your computer's power to charge; but since both cords are plugged into the cradle, you only have to connect the PPC to one thing yourself.