View Full Version : Major Recurring Problem!!

GSibble
02-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Ok, I asked for help on pocketnow for this problem and no one could give me an answer. So I will ask here:

I had a problem a little while ago with my new 5455 IPaq. After using it for a week or so (with normal resets about 2-3 times a day), it stopped wanting to sync. It would start syncing, and when it said on the computer "looking for changes", it would stop with a syncronization error and disconnect. The weird thing that I noticed was that my internet was still being passed through onto my IPaq, so I could check my mail and browse the web on there. So after soft resets, rebooting my comp, upgrading my ActiveSync, still nothing. I could get it to sync maybe 1 time out of 10.

But I figured out how to get it to sync! When you put the IPaq in the cradle, my inbox automatically logs in and gets my mail. If I have my inbox actually started up when I start syncing and I push the connection button to STOP it from connecting, then it syncs fine about 1/2 of the time. But this is infuriating, because I sync about 20 times a day and I cannot have to do that everytime.

This problem got so annoying that I did a hard reset which made it run perfectly for a week. Now it is a week later and it has started doing it again all of a sudden. I have not installed any new software in the past 5 days!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON??!?!?!

Help me Ob-Wan Pocket PC Thoughts!!!! You're my only hope!!

mscdex
02-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Perhaps you should try maybe exitting (not minimizing) ActiveSync on your PocketPC. There is no "built-in" way to do this with iTask, so you'll have to use a 3rd-party process viewer or a program like wisbar, which has a task lister and can optionally close it down, no matter what the program.

Janak Parekh
02-24-2003, 07:24 PM
mscdex, a soft-reset also kills ActiveSync, and I suspect he's tried that already. ;)

GSibble: what's the exact error you're getting on your desktop?

--janak

GSibble
02-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Janak,
All that it says is syncronization error right as it starts checking for changes! I have tried soft resetting, hard resetting, reinstalling activesync, and (due to a hard drive crash) reformatting my computer. I have also tried it on several other computers with the same result. The only way to get it to sync is to manually stop the connection in Inbox, or delete my email account, both of which are unacceptable as that is my primary use for my IPaq (Wi-Fi email).

Any further ideas?

-George

mscdex
02-24-2003, 09:46 PM
GSibble: If all else fails, connect your device to your sync cable/cradle, have activesync on the desktop open, and connect to activesync as a Guest. Do a complete Backup. Then perform a hard reset on your iPaq.

Chris Spera
02-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Sorry about not getting this on pocketnow.com... I am also on the review team there. Had I seen this in the forums, I would have responded.

The fact that AS is connecting to your PPC and seeing it/ identifying it correctly before it disconnects indicates that AS is functioning correctly. It appears that your iPAQ is dropping the connection.

The problem is probably with your PPC. The 5400 supports USB Charging. Do you have this enabled? AS may be dropping your PPC due to a power related problem. If you have USB Charging enabled in the Power Control Panel Applet, disable it, and connect the direct AC adapter to the cradle. You may be having a problem with an under powered USB port on your PC and that is causing AS to drop the connection.

I would also try using a different USB Port; but would still uncheck USB Charing in the Power Control Panel Applet.

If that's not the problem, something else is disrupting the communication between your iPAQ and your PC.

In this case, I would do the following:

1. Get a connection either as a Guest or as your iPAQ and back up the device.
2. Do a hard reset.
3. Establish a connection and resync.
4. STOP!! Do **NOT** install any 3rd party software for at least a week.
5. Monitor the performance of the device while you use it for just basic PIM functions. Is it still dropping connections? Are you having any other problems?
6. If everything is fine after 1 work week, start installing apps one at a time with at least 2-3 days between each app so that you can monitor connection performance.
7. MAKE A BACKUP OF THE DEVICE AFTER EACH 3RD PARTY APP INSTALLATION! If things go south, you can always restore to the last spot where you were good, and then try that app again. If it goes south again, you've found the app that is probably corrupting your Registry and causing the communication problem.

I know this is time consuming and REALLY frustrating. I've been in your shoes with just about every other device that I've had. I've done this procedure and it helps identify a badly behaivng app. At that point, I'd e-mail the developer and let them know what you did to identify their app and tell them what's happening.

If all this doesn't resolve the issue, you may have a bad PPC. You may want to consider returning it to the retailer you bought it from and exchanging it for another 5400. (You may need to modify this process if you've got a time constraint for returning the device to the retailer. For example, CompUSA has a 14 day limit on returns...)

Hope this helps.

Keep us informed of how things goe.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

GSibble
02-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Guys,
Like I've said in my posts, I have hard reset and it did not solve the problem.

I do not have USB recharging on, I have tried other USB ports, and I have tried other computers.

In addition, I cannot afford to not install 3rd party apps for a week. I use a network administration software that is key for the use of my IPaq.

Now, I had not installed any new apps for over 5 days before this problem started showing up. It is most certainly not due to any 3rd party applications.

And, as I have mentioned, it has something to do with the internet pass through because if I delete my email account or manually stop it from connecting, it connects fine.

So if no one has any ideas, I'll have HP replace it because it's obviously not going away.

-George

Chris Spera
02-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Guys,
...I have hard reset and it did not solve the problem.

I do not have USB recharging on, I have tried other USB ports, and I have tried other computers.

In addition, I cannot afford to not install 3rd party apps for a week. I use a network administration software that is key for the use of my IPaq.

Now, I had not installed any new apps for over 5 days before this problem started showing up. It is most certainly not due to any 3rd party applications.

And, as I have mentioned, it has something to do with the internet pass through because if I delete my email account or manually stop it from connecting, it connects fine.

So if no one has any ideas, I'll have HP replace it because it's obviously not going away.

-George

George,

A week was an arbitrary time. The point was, with a naked iPAQ to see if it would recur. Profiling on PPC's IS problematic, and it may very well be that it is interfearing with your desktop communication.

If hard resets don't help, then I would try another PPC. That's probably the safest and quickest way to a solution.

BTW, I am here (as well as Ed H.) in Nashville. I work near Green Hills Mall and might be able to help.

Christopher Spera

Server
02-25-2003, 02:10 AM
I'm going to be the first in this thread to tell you that your unit is probably *FAULTY* After reading the sequence of events and what you have tried and what was suggested, I would say you have a com port problem or a hardware level problem at the point of connection of your 5450. One sure and easy way to find out is to take your unit back to the store where you bought it (if possible) and see if you can sync there or use someone elses cradle for testing purposes. You dont have to actually to a full sync just see if it syncs and then stop it.

MultiMatt
02-25-2003, 03:06 AM
I agree with Server - it is probably a bad unit...
While my issue is not exactly like yours, I am beginning to wonder if my new 5455 is buggy too...
I'm having Active Sync fits of a different sort (see thread http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9021)

Matt

MultiMatt
02-25-2003, 03:07 AM
I'm sorry - does that constitute a cross-post? If so, I apologize...

Matt

GSibble
02-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Thanks a bunch for all your help guys!! I'm gonna call Compaq and have them replace it instead of returning it. It's just as fast and I would rather have one straight from them. Thanks again yall!!!

-George

rberry88
03-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Here's a small suggestion (don't say I didn't try)

When you have Activesync open on your desktop PC, click on file and then on 'connection settings'. There is a box to mark that says "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port:". If you are trying to sync via USB, having this box checked has caused more problems with more people than I can remember. If this box is checked then simply uncheck it, soft reset your PPC, re-connect it and let ActiveSync work.

If this does not work then I don't know what else to suggest except call customer support.

rberry88

dmiller
03-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Doubt this is your solution, but your description of the problem is very familiar to me. I finally tracked it down to my printer... My PC is USB only (Compaq IPAQ desktop) no legacy ports - usb modem, usb printer, etc. whenever I have the printer ON, I would have the same problem you describe with syncing. If I rebooted the PC without the printer ON, I have no problems.

Stormswift
03-06-2003, 05:02 AM
:cry:
For over a year I had no problems with active sync: everything worked perfectly. Then A poversurge killed one of my desctops and I am affraid also 2 USB ports on the remaining deskto. I got Belking hi speedd USB ports and installed them. No sync. The interesting thing is that everything works at work. At home there is no way to even break previous partnerships. It says "not connected" and shows no partnerships. Everything I read makes me think that the ports and not IPAQ is where the problem lies. I think it is software issues. yes, the 2 native USB ports are dead but the new ones have no problem recognizing a scanner and a digital camera. But not IPAQ.
I have an older Pockt PC 3635 with Pocket PC 3.0. I have the latest ROM for that OS installed. Everything else works and for the life of me I cannot figure out what went wrong. I tried hard recet - nothing. I even messed with the registry per Active Sync troubleshooter - nothing. I do have cable. I do not recall if I was able to connect since I installed the cable. I tried without it -no go. I tried to turn off Zone Alarm -no go. Yet everything works just great at work on 2 different computers. Go figure....I am running Win98, not even a second addition but with all of the upgrades

PetiteFlower
03-06-2003, 06:08 AM
I have heard of problems with activesync and USB hubs. For some people it works but I think it's still a pretty common/known problem :(

numo
03-06-2003, 11:06 AM
If I rebooted the PC without the printer ON, I have no problems.
This matches my experience. I cannot sync when my HP PSC 750 is switched on. The iPaq is plugged into one motherboard USB port, the printer hangs via hub on the another one, so I can't quite see how what is colliding here, but it is 100% reproducible.

To switch the printer off is enough for me, no reboot needed.