View Full Version : What is the best Pocket PC camera?

Duddy
02-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm about to go on a family reunion this spring break and wanted to take advantage of my Dell Axim and a camera. Can anyone help with deciding what the best Pocket PC Camera is? :D

Kaber
02-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Anyone with a camera for their iPAQ please feel free to chime in too. I'm desperately wanting to buy one.

Sheynk
02-23-2003, 09:07 PM
FYI

The quality of an add on camera will never be the same as a stand alone.

Do yourself a fovor, if you want to shoot some stills and have a digital copy get yourself a camera that uses the same storage format as your PDA

TopDog
02-23-2003, 09:12 PM
I agree, a CF-camera can be fun, but is in no way a replacement for my digital camera. I use a Canon S20 (yes, it's getting old...) with CF-cards, and then I can view my pictures with the CF-slot on my Axim :-)

I'f you still want a Cf-camera, I would recomend the 1,3 megapixel Pretec camera (works on any PPC with a CF-slot)!

moaske
02-23-2003, 11:53 PM
FYI

Do yourself a fovor, if you want to shoot some stills and have a digital copy get yourself a camera that uses the same storage format as your PDA
I agree on that too :D
I'd only recommend an on board CF-cam for solutions like M$ Portrait or some other video-phone/conferencing solution. So ask yourself the question what you'd want 8)

Kaber
02-24-2003, 03:04 AM
I already have a Kodak DC3400 (CF) that works great. However, my wife often has it. I just want something good enough to capture a viewable image, and/or use with MS Portrait (teleconf). Not anything I'm gonna hang in a museum.

vincentsiaw
02-24-2003, 03:36 AM
hey kaber, i try to run ms potrait for teleconfrencing, with my pretect cf camera, but untill now still can't get it working. i don't know is because of the ipaq or just the pretect camera sucks..... :cry:

Sven Johannsen
02-24-2003, 03:51 AM
I agree, a CF-camera can be fun, but is in no way a replacement for my digital camera. I use a Canon S20 (yes, it's getting old...) with CF-cards, and then I can view my pictures with the CF-slot on my Axim :-)

If you still want a Cf-camera, I would recomend the 1,3 megapixel Pretec camera (works on any PPC with a CF-slot)!

Have you got one of the 1.3Mp ones? I have never read a review that praised it.

I will third, or fourth, or whatever, the suggestion to get a real digital camera with a CF or SD slot (since your AXIM has both). Get the format you are not already using to store programs/files on the AXIM. That way you won't need to pull it to view/save pics.

Other than the 1.3 Pretec all the CF cameras are 640x480 (.35 Mp).

TopDog
02-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Have you got one of the 1.3Mp ones?
Nope... haven't gotten it, but I set up the cheaper one with a coupple of customers, and it seemed alright... so i figure the 1,3Mp should be a little cool (my distributer have them on storage), but I still agree with the lot here, go for a regular camera with CF-storage, I do :-)

Kaber
02-24-2003, 06:41 PM
hey kaber, i try to run ms potrait for teleconfrencing, with my pretect cf camera, but untill now still can't get it working. i don't know is because of the ipaq or just the pretect camera sucks..... :cry:

I had heard there may be problems using the iPAQ 3900's and 5400's with MS Portrait (maybe its an XScale thing). I'd really like to get it to work.

I had this neat idea of being able to have a videophone network around the compound. Of course it could also double as a nice security monitor also.

I know there is something out there I can use.

vincentsiaw
02-24-2003, 07:11 PM
yeah, kaber your idea about security cam, is wonderful!! if somehow you manage to do this, please inform us ok! this would be fun! :lol:

Kaber
02-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Well, its not entirely my idea. Some proprietary solutions (like this one (http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/index.htm)) are already available. But since I have 2 iPAQs, some laptops, a bunch of beige boxes and a bunch of cheap webcams, I figured I could make it work myself.

Good for keeping an eye on the kids. I just think it'd be cool to have a video intercom system around the house.