View Full Version : Axim turning itself on

IronGeek
02-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Hi All,
This weeked I had a problem with my Axim turning itsself on and draining battery power. What could be causing this? Nothing seemed to be hitting the buttons.

MPSmith
02-23-2003, 07:27 PM
I don't have mine handy, so I can't give you an exact answer. But go to AS on your Axim and there should be a tab at the bottom called settings or connections or something like that. You'll find an option to have it search for a connection at a particular interval. Every hour, mine would turn on and try to find an internet connection.

Hope this helps.

Mike

shawnc
02-23-2003, 07:40 PM
This is really weird. I get this also but it's not a big deal, just one of those little quirks that I assumed I would have to live with. I tried MPSmith's suggestion but was unable to find anything that may be causing the problem. The only thing close was an option about synchronizing when not connected. Mine was already deselected.

Janak Parekh
02-23-2003, 07:44 PM
There are two suggestions: first, MPSmith's, which is to go into ActiveSync options on the Pocket PC, and to uncheck everything in the Schedule tab.

Second, make sure you don't keep programs like WMP running -- at midnight, the Pocket PC turns itself on for a minute to schedule alarms and stuff, and if a program keeps it from going back to sleep, it won't.

--janak

TheBacklash
02-24-2003, 01:07 AM
at midnight, the Pocket PC turns itself on for a minute to schedule alarms and stuff, and if a program keeps it from going back to sleep, it won't.

--janak

So thats why it turns on at midnight.... It annoys me everytime I leave it in the cradle at night. My casio and Ipaq did the same thing. I end up pluging it in directly to power at night if it needs a charging, skip the cradle. If I don't it tries to sync. and stays on all night... it wouldn't bother me but that much of the same screen I would assume could cause burn-in or drain the life of the screen over time.

PapaSmurfDan
02-24-2003, 09:15 PM
at midnight, the Pocket PC turns itself on for a minute to schedule alarms and stuff, and if a program keeps it from going back to sleep, it won't.

--janak

So thats why it turns on at midnight.... It annoys me everytime I leave it in the cradle at night. My casio and Ipaq did the same thing. I end up pluging it in directly to power at night if it needs a charging, skip the cradle. If I don't it tries to sync. and stays on all night... it wouldn't bother me but that much of the same screen I would assume could cause burn-in or drain the life of the screen over time.

Screen burn-in on LCDs is possible, but very hard to do. Its not really a burn in, but a loss in the contrast ratio for those pixels. My, now dead, 7 year old ThinkPad shows this. On the bottom, where the taskbar in windows is, you can barely see it. However, my laptop was used for 4 years before in a major corporation, so it is very likely that it the screen was on at least 40 hours a week for 4 years. Now I have seen a Sony Vaio laptop that was less than a year old which showed this "burn-in" clearly, but we gathered that the screen was never off and had a very high contrast background. I am also convinced that Sony cuts major corners on thier laptops to increase profits. With that beside, I don't think there is much to worry about with any PPC.

PDA's turning on at midnight is nothing new. The Apple Newton did it. Once you know that all it is doing is syncing alarms up for the next day, you will sleep better :)

-Dan

TheBacklash
02-25-2003, 03:54 AM
True, but when it's in the cradle and will NOT shut off again... thats annoying.

my computer is on 24/7, the internet is disconnected when I go to bed, so of course the sync never finishes... and it never shuts off.

Thats why when I need to charge it, I plug the power directly into the Axim, screw the cradle at night.

Rirath
02-25-2003, 03:58 AM
PDA's turning on at midnight is nothing new. The Apple Newton did it. Once you know that all it is doing is syncing alarms up for the next day, you will sleep better :)

-Dan

Reminds me of a kid that came into Staples with his Jornada 525. He thought it was broke and told me it kept turning on without him using it. I leaned over the counter and said "When it turns on... is it around midnight?". 8O He really looked surprised I knew that. :)

MPSmith
02-25-2003, 04:21 AM
I leaned over the counter and said "When it turns on... is it around midnight?". 8O He really looked surprised I knew that. :)

Good one. You should have told him it only happens during a full moon!

EclipseX5
05-13-2003, 03:13 AM
Hey, anybody experienced problems with the axim turning on about 30 seconds to a minute after disconnecting from activesync?? It is really annoying when i leave the device alone after disconnecting... :?

Kati Compton
05-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Hey, anybody experienced problems with the axim turning on about 30 seconds to a minute after disconnecting from activesync?? It is really annoying when i leave the device alone after disconnecting... :?

Yes. It has to do with the "sync every x minutes" setting, if I remember correctly. If you turn that off (meaning it only syncs when you put it in the cradle or you specifically tell it to), this should stop happening.

BTW - this is what Janak was referring to earlier in this thread.