View Full Version : H3970 Bluetooth

Shadowcat
02-22-2003, 09:50 PM
I've tried searching but couldn't find an answer. If I pair up a H3970 and a T39 can I dial from my contact list or would I need to buy 3rd party software? Also can I direct my call to my HBH-10 bluetooth headset?

Finally, can I pair up a H3970 with my headset or is that only possible with the H5450?

Thanks in advance.[/list]

Janak Parekh
02-22-2003, 10:09 PM
You'd need a 3rd-party dialer. Fortunately, there's a wide variety; everything from Pocket Informant (www.pocketinformant.com) to Running Voice GSM (http://www.pocketpresence.com/rvgsm.asp) will support this combination, although they have varying degrees of support. Running Voice does support the redirection to a headset with a T68/T68i; I'm pretty sure it'll do it with a T39, but you'll have to try it out.

Finally, no, you can't redirect audio from the 3970. It'll pair, but it won't be of much use. It isn't even officially supported on the 5450 yet, although there are registry hacks to enable it.

--janak

bdegroodt
02-23-2003, 12:42 AM
I'll be shocked if this isn't supported in the upcoming OS release (Whenever that may be.).

Shadowcat
02-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks Janak for clearing that up. I thought that the 3rd party software only enhanced the experience. You'd think that this functionality would be built-in to the OS. :(

bdegroodt, we have no idea when the new OS is coming out, and we don't know if Compaq will offer the upgrade to the H3970. Well, I don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know..... :?

Janak Parekh
02-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks Janak for clearing that up. I thought that the 3rd party software only enhanced the experience. You'd think that this functionality would be built-in to the OS. :(
Not really, as Bluetooth support was added onto Pocket PC 2002, as opposed to being a native part of WinCE 3/PPC2002. I believe the WinCE 4.x has native Bluetooth support, so there's hope there; I might be mistaken, though, so no guarantees yet.

--janak

Shadowcat
02-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Not really, as Bluetooth support was added onto Pocket PC 2002, as opposed to being a native part of WinCE 3/PPC2002. I believe the WinCE 4.x has native Bluetooth support, so there's hope there; I might be mistaken, though, so no guarantees yet.

--janak

Well, they did have this feature in PPC PE, didn't they? But of course I realise that I'm asking for too much :wink: Yes, let's hope WinCE 4.x has native Bluetooth support. Thanks for the quick replies!

Janak Parekh
02-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Well, they did have this feature in PPC PE, didn't they?
Yes, but that was the integration of Phone Edition APIs for the local device. It'll be interesting to see if MS leverages those APIs/UI controls to support Bluetooth Dialing Profiles. I don't know if anyone has a definitive answer on that yet. :)

--janak

bdegroodt
02-23-2003, 09:34 PM
bdegroodt, we have no idea when the new OS is coming out, and we don't know if Compaq will offer the upgrade to the H3970. Well, I don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know..... :?

Huh? Not sure what you mean about "we" and the new OS coming out, but I think it's safe to assume that sometime in the future there will be an OS rev and in that rev, I'd be very surprised if there was not more incorporating the BT capability in the OS and the apps. When that happens and what shape those features take is surely up for significant debate, but I trust MSFT is going to rev the OS.

Shadowcat
02-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Well, what I should have said is no one knows for sure when the new OS is coming out. Of course there is going to be a new one. I just noted that no one knows when exactly, and whether Compaq will provide an upgrade this time around (I did mention specifically about the H3970).

Anyways, thanks for the replies! :)

bdegroodt
02-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Well, what I should have said is no one knows for sure when the new OS is coming out. Of course there is going to be a new one. I just noted that no one knows when exactly, and whether Compaq will provide an upgrade this time around (I did mention specifically about the H3970).

Anyways, thanks for the replies! :)

No worries. I understand. If you do find a program that just adds the feature to the pop up menu on a contact from the Contacts program, kindly let us/me know. I've been looking for something like that but all I see is a bunch of programs that do that plus a million other things or make you dial from within their interface.

The reason I suggested shock if it isn't in the next release is because a feature like this is in the PPC-PE. Not sure if it's the OEMs doing it or if it's part of the PPC-PE OS, but getting that to dial via BT seems like a no brainer to me "Hello Redmond. Do you read me?" :P

Shadowcat
02-25-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, after I got the replies from you and Janak, I did lots of digging around and I managed to find a bare-bones that doesn't really do anything besides adding a pop up menu in Contacts. It even supports Ericsson Bluetooth headsets! It's called "Simple Dial" and it can be found here: http://www.visualit.co.uk/

Unfortunately, there's no trial. You must pay $14.30 CDN or $9.00 USD. Even more unfortunate is that I don't have a H3970 yet and I won't anytime soon because sudden complications prevent me from getting one :-( Thus I can't try this program out.

Anyways, I've seen a couple of users praise it for doing what it says it does and its speed (at the cost of features) but I haven't seen any reviews of this program. If you decide to try it please write up a review or something!

Janak Parekh
02-25-2003, 03:29 AM
Shadowcat,

While I've never used Simple Call, I can say that VisualIT's Tube program is quite excellent. They also have responsive support. Based on those, I might give it a shot -- but on the other hand, Pocket Informant/Agenda Fusion are also pretty cheap, and you get a full-featured PIM to boot. Since they both have trials, I would give those a spin first.

--janak

Shadowcat
02-25-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Janak! I'll keep that in mind!