View Full Version : MMC Card expansion battery and sync cradle

dlangton
02-22-2003, 05:02 AM
Are there any sync cradles which allow you to use the Jornada 56x with either the MMC battery or extended battery?

Also, I have a little difficulty using a CF card at the same time as a MMC card. Seems I can write to the MMC card, but have trouble reading from it. Seems to work a lot better when I use the extended/PCMCIA adapter - more power, perhaps?

Paragon
02-23-2003, 03:44 PM
If you look at your cradle you will see there is a spacer in it that can be taken out enabling the cradle to handle extended batteries. I took mine out the day I got it and never looked back.

I'm going to bet you remove and replace your storage cards more then occasionally. When you do this the system has the habit of getting mixed up as to what card is what. I'm also willing to bet you are using SD cards in the MMC slot which most of us do. HP never intended the MMC/battery to be anything more than that. Using SD cards can cause even more confusion.......confusing isn't it. :) If anything I have described fits with your senario I would suggest leaving the MMC/battery on, and switch cards as little as possible. If you do switch cards try doing a soft reset after doing so.

Whoops, I just went back and reread your post and noticed you said you are using MMC cards......

Dave

dlangton
02-23-2003, 04:14 PM
It isn't so much a matter of changing CF cards as changing battery packs when I'm not home. Thanks for the tip on removing the spacer. Simply hadn't noticed that it was there. Now if only there was a cradle which accept the PCMCIA adapter sleeve!

The power requirements issue remains, however. For instance, if I attempt to read a PDF file on my MMC card, while Acrobat Reader is installed on my CF card, Adobe will either be unable to open the file, or if it can open it, won't be able to read anything after the first page. No problem opening a LIT file on my MMC card, but can't successfully use a TSK file (some of the images don't get converted.)

I had originally planned to install apps on my MMC card, and put data onto my CF card, but after experiencing problems, I wound up reversing things. Looks like the best plan will simply be to get a larger CF card - forget about bluetooth.

Is it possible to use a 256 MB SD card in the MMC slot?

Are they any adapters for the PCMCIA sleeve which would give you two CF slots?

Paragon
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Is it possible to use a 256mb SD card?........probably. Not quite the definite yes or no answer you were looking for, right?! As I mentioned HP never really intended SD cards to be used in the MMC/battery. Many people can do it without any problems. Of all the posts I have read on this subject I have never seen a single one that would point to a cause for some to work and others not. If possible I would try one first before you buy it. There aren't any dual CF slot adapters for the Jornada.

Dave