View Full Version : newbie: ARM, MIPS, etc etc... ???

mr_yellow
02-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me what are the differences in the processors of the different PPC's regarding which version of application to install?

I personally don't have a PPC, and am thinking about the ipaq 1910. I see all these apps with ARM, MIPS, etc, versions and I really can't figure out what is compatible with what... Do most app writers have versions for all ppc's or just one or two? What the version name for the ipaq 1910?

thanks,

yellow

WindWalker
02-21-2003, 11:38 PM
In general, MIPS and SH3 processors are processors that you would find on older Jornadas and Casios. Any application you download for a PDA running PocketPC 2002 (iPaq, Maestro, Axim, on and on) will be the ARM version. XScale is the "next version" of StrongARM processors, so if it is for ARM, it will run on XScale 99.9% of the time.

The iPaq 1910 is an XScale device, thus you would download the ARM version of any program that has a choice. They are not interchangable with MIPS or SH3 versions, so make sure you grab the right one.

mscdex
02-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Don't forget about the Axim! It's a GREAT little device and Dell has the $50 rebate deal on, just check out Dell's website. The 300mhz version is only $199, and the 400mhz version $299 (i believe). :D

eksystems
03-07-2003, 12:57 PM
:D
Nice one about the ARm processor, I have just bought the Mitac 338 PPCand some one said the new Intel x processor was not compatible with the strong arm.

mscdex
03-07-2003, 11:45 PM
Nice one about the ARm processor, I have just bought the Mitac 338 PPCand some one said the new Intel x processor was not compatible with the strong arm.

The new Xscale processor is definitely compatible with the StrongArm processor because they are both from the ARM line of cpus. You may be confusing this with the new version of the PPC OS, which may not be backwards compatible with PPC2k2 applications... but even with that, we are not quite sure until details are released or leaked about the new OS.

eksystems
03-08-2003, 09:42 AM

The new Xscale processor is definitely compatible with the StrongArm processor because they are both from the ARM line of cpus. You may be confusing this with the new version of the PPC OS, which may not be backwards compatible with PPC2k2 applications... but even with that, we are not quite sure until details are released or leaked about the new OS.