View Full Version : iPAQ h5450 Owners: Quality issue?

William Yeung
02-21-2003, 05:57 AM
Dont know if everyone knows this: this is the first machine manufactured by LG in Korea, my machine just died, so I am in doubt if thats some quality issue... remember the old days of iPAQ release...

Give me your idea guys~

Dave Beauvais
02-21-2003, 06:26 AM
I've had this h5455 for about three weeks now. The first one had a small "dead" spot in the touchscreen that would not respond to stylus taps. I exchanged it at CompUSA for this one, which has functioned flawlessly. Hardware-wise, I think the h5400 series is top-notch. The software, on the other hand is crap. The Wireless LAN utility software has a nasty memory leak, and the Bluetooth tray icon app causes the system to become sluggish. (Since I don't use Bluetooth devices currently, I removed the shortcut to BTTray.exe from the Startup folder.)

--Dave

Pony99CA
02-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Dont know if everyone knows this: this is the first machine manufactured by LG in Korea, my machine just died, so I am in doubt if thats some quality issue...

What do you mean by saying "this is the first machine manufactured by LG in Korea"? If you mean it's the first iPAQ not made by HTC, that may be true. It certainly is not the first PDA made by LG, though; they used to make their own Handheld PCs (a large clamshell one). I don't recall what quality reputation it had.

Steve

William Yeung
02-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Man u are right~ Its not the first from LG, its just the first iPAQ from LG...
But if I didnt remember wrong... its also the first color PPC from LG...
Remember the days about 1st iPAQ, 1st OEM Casio E-200... these are just nightmares...

By the way I have replaced my unit already :) hope everything will work fine since then...

Chris Spera
02-21-2003, 05:46 PM
My 5455 works ok...it doesn't have the same reliability as my 3955, but it does OK. I agree that the hardware is good, and that the software is crap. I really wish that HP would put up a product page for the 5400 in the iPAQ Support and Driver's section of their site; and I wish they'd hurry up with some of the fixes that must surely be in development at HP...

Christopher Spera

Chris Spera
02-21-2003, 05:58 PM
...The Wireless LAN utility software has a nasty memory leak, and the Bluetooth tray icon app causes the system to become sluggish. (Since I don't use Bluetooth devices currently, I removed the shortcut to BTTray.exe from the Startup folder.)

--Dave

Wow! I took this shortcut and the one named DM_k.lnk out of \Windows\Startup and placed them on my Start MENU. Now when I want to use my PC Card Sleeve, I tap DM_k; or BTCETray for BT. The machine is MUCH faster now, and appears much more stable. If you're looking for a good way to put some punch into the device, try this cool tip, and THEN start mucking with Pocket Hack Master (if you have it...)

Christopher Spera