View Full Version : Brighthand Bashing

SiGen
02-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Let me begin by creating a little bit of controversy. It's my view that there's been only one truly important Pocket PC, the Compaq iPAQ 3600 series, since Microsoft launched the platform back in April 2000. Every model before then was noticeably underpowered, overweight and nearly useless outdoors, and every model since then owes its very existance to the success of the iPAQ.

Sure, other manufacturers have embellished here and there, adding dual expansion slots, WiFi, and replaceable batteries, but none has taken a mighty leap, none has forged an entirely new direction in the Pocket PC world.

Until now.

Let me go out on a limb by stating that the new iPAQ h1910 Pocket PC from Hewlett-Packard is THE most important Pocket PC since the launch of the original iPAQ more than two and a half years ago. It's bold, it's beautiful, and it blazes an exciting new path for Pocket PC.

By Steven G. Bush | Founder of Brighthand

now, some of us understand why he said that :wink:

Jonathan1
02-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Let me begin by creating a little bit of controversy. It's my view that there's been only one truly important Pocket PC, the Compaq iPAQ 3600 series, since Microsoft launched the platform back in April 2000. Every model before then was noticeably underpowered, overweight and nearly useless outdoors, and every model since then owes its very existance to the success of the iPAQ.

Sure, other manufacturers have embellished here and there, adding dual expansion slots, WiFi, and replaceable batteries, but none has taken a mighty leap, none has forged an entirely new direction in the Pocket PC world.

Until now.

Let me go out on a limb by stating that the new iPAQ h1910 Pocket PC from Hewlett-Packard is THE most important Pocket PC since the launch of the original iPAQ more than two and a half years ago. It's bold, it's beautiful, and it blazes an exciting new path for Pocket PC.

By Steven G. Bush | Founder of Brighthand

now, some of us understand why he said that :wink:

Ah the famous Steve "got-to-kick-everyone-out-of-the-board-because-I'm-god" Bush HEH. I hold a grudge a LOOOOOOONG time.
:P

The 1910 device is one of those devices that will always inspire controversy. The 3635 iPaq released summer-fall of 2000 was one of those devices where you just look at it and go AHHH that is cool. Every aspect of it was new and revolutionary at the time. New type of screen, new CPU, new type of batt, new method of expansion, best speaker on a PDA, brightest screen, etc, etc, etc. The 1910 doesn't really have anything all the revolutionary in it per say. Its the size that makes it revolutionary in a way. So for those where "size matters" its a godsend a beauty to behold. For those where they don't mind carrying two decks of playing cards in their pocket this is nothing more then an underpowered Pocket PC. Like Obi Wan said. It all in the point of view. :D

Duncan
02-21-2003, 02:05 AM
SiGen,

Either boldly make the direct accusation or keep silent. This nudge-nudge wink-wink attitude says more about you than it does about Steve.

Jonathan1,

Yes, we know, you got kicked off the Brighthand boards - something you like to remind us of every now and again even when it isn't relevant (which it hasn't been for many months. Get over it. Remove the plank of wood from your eyes and you will find that you can criticise Steve's opinion (and, FWIW, I am in agreement with you on the 1910) without the taint of pettiness - which doesn't become you and doesn't reflect your character as shown elsewhere (and no - smiley faces doesn't make it OK)!

1910 - has two things going for it. Nice screen - but then so do many other Pocket PCs, and being the nicest isn't much of a victory for the new iPAQ. Small - but then saving those precious millimetres, and those few grammes, leads to a Pocket PC that hardly does any of the things we have grown to expect of the platform - so why is being THAT small a good thing again? Remember - calling an Axim, or a 5450 in a sleeve, a 'brick' is only comparatively descriptive. They are ALL small!

Jonathan1
02-21-2003, 02:57 AM
Duncan,

There is more going on behind the scenes about that incident then you may know about and that I want to go into. If I can rib him from time to time I WILL do it. He canned _MANY_ good people and shattered a fantastic community for one reason. Only now has some of that community solidified but they are all over the place at pocketpcthoughts, brighthand, pocketpcpassion, pdabuzz, etc. My ribbing isn’t so much because I’m pissed at what he did to me but at what happened to the community. It was a fantastic resource that has never recovered. If you want to defend him that is fine. IM me about it if you want to talk about it further. But I stand by my ribbing.....

Anyways....Can't wait for the next version of the 19xx series. Wonder ig it will be PPC 2003 .NET based?

SiGen
02-21-2003, 05:27 AM
SiGen,

Either boldly make the direct accusation or keep silent. This nudge-nudge wink-wink attitude says more about you than it does about Steve.

wtf, that was just a commentary. im currently an iPAQ1910 user, and was making good reputation about that device, i think Steve's review is great, actually the quote part i posted was the best review i have seen.
now, i really dont know what u tried to say, but im currently a constant BH user, to be exactly thats my main home, what do u mean with "direct accusation"?

what do u have against :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

want more? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

go away.