View Full Version : The Ultimate Battery Guide

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_bpw2_00_toc' target='_blank'>http://www.technick.net/public/code...ide_bpw2_00_toc</a><br /><br /></div>With the explosion of handheld electronic devices, more and more people have been asking about battery technology, good practice, etc. This is a <b>very</b> comprehensive and detailed resource that covers the technology and how to use it, including battery types, charging technologies, memory effects, best practices for long life, safety, choosing batteries, and on and on. It's going into my permanent bookmarks collection...

ombu
02-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Thanks, I think serious advice was needed and here it is. :)

Regards.

Gary Garland, Esq.
02-21-2003, 06:25 PM
With the explosion of handheld electronic devices, more and more people have been asking about battery technology, good practice, etc. This is a very comprehensive and detailed resource that covers the technology and how to use it, including battery types, charging technologies, memory effects, best practices for long life, safety, choosing batteries, and on and on. It's going into my permanent bookmarks collection...
I contacted Energizer and Duracell to help explain their discharge curves and to speak to a tech - i couldn't reach anyone who could help me. i'm about to write a review of the seidio datapack which includes that now famous 9 volt battery emergency charger - i wanted scientific data, not just my, "i plugged it in, waited 3 hours, and was done" empirical approach. this site will be very helpful - maybe after i have a chance to really read it and digest it, i'll have the scientific answers i'm looking for - or else perhaps i can query the author for help - nice job!
BTW - explosion of batteries? have you been lurking in my r/c airplane workshop? :)

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Next person to advise me to discharge my pocket PC fully gets a beatdown nyan :3

vincentsiaw
02-22-2003, 12:17 AM
Next person to advise me to discharge my pocket PC fully gets a beatdown nyan :3

perhaps he doesn't realise that completely discharging PPC battery means a hard reset :lol:

Paula
09-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Hmmmmm
I took a quick squiz (look) at the guide and all I can say is, HUH :?:
Maybe I just read the wrong chapter first? Pretty dry stuff.
I usually have no problems reading through a manual but ummm....ZZZzzzz. :?

Can someone please just tell me if I'm wrong about the DOs and DON'Ts of PPC batteries?

DOs: fully charge battery before you turn the PPC on for the first time, DO charge the battery as often as you like.

DON'T: let the battery fully discharge (for data loss reasons), DON'T run with a battery or you will poke your eye out. Ok, I was just testing to see if you were paying attention. :)

Anything else?

Cheers
Paula

Janak Parekh
09-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Paula -- those are the most important guidelines.

The battery guide does become much more interesting later on. Go through the table of contents carefully. :)

--janak

dave3
09-14-2003, 11:40 PM
I dont have time to read thru a 100+ page guide. I need the bottom line for my li poly ipaq batteries. sounds like it is
1. store in frige (but not freezer) when not in use.
2. only charge to 40% when not in use.
3. do not let the battery get too hot or let it freeze (freezing will ruin it)

so my last questions are:
1. how low can you let the battery get (i.e. what % I was letting it get to 10-15%)
2. is the usb rapid charging option ok for the battery or is it too hard on it?