View Full Version : Shopping for a PPC...

funngunn2
02-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone, newbie here! I've been with the Palm OS for about two years, and I love it, although I've been playing around with PPC2k2, on a friend's handheld. Now I'm somewhat hooked. I'd like to get a PPC, but I want to hear why you guys went with PPC. I don't want to start a PPC vs. Palm thread(we have plenty at the Palm forums I'm at), and I'm not being a troll, I just want to see what you guys think about it.

Second, I am thinking of getting a PPC, but I have no idea where to start. I'll give you the criteria I want, and I'll see if you can help me.

1) Long Battery Life
2) A decently slim/reasonable form factor.
3) Fast processor
4) Plenty of onboard memory
5) Under $250/200

That's pretty much what I want, hardware-wise, but before I take the plunge, I want to hear good things from you guys. All I hear is negative things about PPC, and now I want to hear good things about it.

yunez
02-20-2003, 11:15 PM
$250 and below limits you to the dell axim (which despite its low price is one of the best PDAs). If you stretch it a bit, $275-300 can get you the Viewsonic V35, iPAQ 1910, or the Toshiba e330.

axim:
-most powerful of the bunch
-CF expansion slot
-superb battery life
-cheapest
-also the bulkiest

ipaq 1910
-thinnest and smallest
-best screen, also slightly bigger (3.8" vs 3.5")
-weak battery
-slowest processor (but overclockable)

Viewsonic V35
-thin

Toshiba e330
-worst screen of the bunch

Take your pick. I would lean towards the Axim, but if size is a big issue u might get the ipaq or viewsonic.

TawnerX
02-20-2003, 11:45 PM
The short list, in the order of suggestion:

ViewsonicV35. $250-280
pro: it's thin/light, has SD/IO, serial port, not too shabby sound and speed. reflective. Buttons placement is great for game. Overall a balance machine.

cons: it won't compare to the color saturation of h1910 indoor, but if you use PDA outdoor a lot, this is your buget gadget. Also, to some it may not be the sexiest looking PDA on the planet. It's Viewsonic first PDA.

Dell Axim $199-240
pro: huge replacable battery, very nice screen, dual slots, and the cheapest. It has one of the best performance of everything out there for mid range. (battery, CPU, CF transfer). Definitely function as iPod on a budget. It's Dell.

cons: It's not exactly svelte. It's the size of Visor Prism.

h1910 $250-290
pro:It's small, the best indoor screen bar none. not too shabby performance, and put up a good fight with overclock utility. The best external speaker.

cons: no SD/IO, no serial, buttons not for gaming, funny 2.5mm plug.

Also to consider in the same prie range:
-the rumor $199 Toshiba E350, and Axim X3 coming up withing 2 months or so.

funngunn2
02-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the Axim right now, and I've also heard about the rumored $199 Toshiba PPC. I saw some stats on it, and it looks more powerful than the Axim, and the HP1910. I'll try it out at CompUSA, and then, perhaps, I'll be the owner of a PPC!