View Full Version : AS "quirk": e-mails delete one way but not the other!

Kevin C. Tofel
02-20-2003, 08:51 PM
I've noticed some strange behavior in Active Sync and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. Using my Dell Axim, I'm running AS3.5 with XP and Outlook 2002.

Recently, I've seen many more "Unread messages" on my Today screen than there should be. I did some testing and here is what I'm seeing:

When I get an e-mail in Outlook, it immediately shows up on my Axim.
When I read that e-mail in EITHER Outlook or on my Axim, it shows as read in both places.
When I delete an e-mail in my Axim, it deletes from Outlook.
BUT: When I delete an e-mail in Outlook, IT DOES NOT delete from my Axim!

Hmmm.....I've done a soft reset, I've deleted and re-established the partnership, I've checked the Inbox settings in AS, but nothing has resolved this.

I can't install AS3.6 because our work machines are locked down and we are not able to intall 3.6 until it becomes "available" in our enterprise software management application.

So.....any thoughts?
:?: :?: :?:
KCT

Kevin C. Tofel
02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
OK...HOLD THE PHONES!!!!

It's truly amazing how I agonized over this issue for 3 weeks only to post it for everyone and then resolve it 5 minutes later!

I re-read my posted description and focused on the "delete" issue....apparently in the PocketPC Inbox Options, there is a Message tab. In that tab, I just noticed a drop down called "Empty Deleted Items", which was set to Manually. I changed that to Immediately and SHAZAAM!!!! Now my e-mail "deletion" is synching properly.

I was thinking of editing my last post or requesting it to be deleted, but I would bet that someone out there could use this info....it's really buried and not intuitive in the Inbox Options as to what "Empty Deleted Items" means.....I would think it should be relabelled "Sync Deleted Items" or something else that truly describes the function.....

EDIT (a few minutes later): Scratch the resolution.....it still doesn't seem to be working right!!!! ARGH!!!! :x
Thanks,
KCT

itsme123
02-21-2003, 07:34 PM
I did exactly the same thing and is still having the same problem too. Anyone else have a solution?

Kevin C. Tofel
02-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Here's another interesting piece to the puzzle: In the Inbox on the PPC, under the Tools option, you can choose "Status". When I did that just now it said:

On next connect:
Messages to be sent: 0
Messages to be copied: 0
Attachments to be copied: 0
Messages to be deleted: 15

So I did the next logical thing: I connected!
Results: no messages were deleted and the Status numbers are unchanged if I click Tools, Status again.....

KCT

Kevin C. Tofel
02-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Not sure if anyone is reading this thread, but: more sleuthing has uncovered something interesting.

When I went into my Deleted Items folder in Outlook and permanently deleted the last 5 days of e-mails, they were finally removed from my Dell Axim!

Is this the way AS should be working? If I delete items from my Inbox on my laptop, why wouldn't they delete from my Axim? Why is my Axim synching my "Deleted Items" folder????

KCT