View Full Version : Sync PocketPC with Desktop PC over WLAN

rberry88
02-20-2003, 06:16 PM
I've looked through numerous threads here and other places about syncing via WLAN but they all pertain to using a server etc.

I just want to be able to sync just like I do when I put my 5455 into its cradle and it syncs but I want to do it using WLAN. I have no problems surfing the web via PIE or checking and sending e-mail via WLAN.

It's funny because I can put full length movies on my PPC with no problem but I can't figure out how to sync via WLAN. :oops:

rberry88

JoeMoon
02-20-2003, 08:05 PM
...I can't figure out how to sync via WLAN...

Download and install a program called POCKET HOSTS. It will allow ActiveSync to connect to your Desktop machine via an IP address. I have it working on my Dell Axim and it is awesome...

...Now if they can only figure out how to charge my PPC wirelessly, I'll be all set!

Joe...

Jorgen
02-20-2003, 08:23 PM
rberry88, have you specified WINS as your desktop's IP address (settings/Connections/Network Adapters/your_card/Properties/Name Servers.

Yes, PocketHosts also makes your life easier if you often change hotspots.

Jorgen

msprague
02-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I wrote an article how to ActiveSync through dial-up Internet Connection (http://michael.sprague.name/index.php?module=Static_Docs&type=user&func=view&f=pocketpc/tips/howto_sync.html).
The same steps should get you working on your network too, although Step 5 with PocketHosts should not be necessary on a local area network.

rberry88
02-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies/help, I downloaded Pocket Hosts and it works like a charm, exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

I did set the WINS etc and I can actually do this with my Sony Clie NX70V (Palm) so I didn't know what the problem was but Pocket Hosts just made my life one step easier. Thanks again.

BTW, msprague, that article you wrote is very good, IMHO, and I've shared it with a couple co-workers that do not have broadband connections and they have found it tremendously helpful.

rberry88 :D :D :D